Devs Seem To Love Gp2x Already. :)

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
From Hooka's new interview with Chui (great dev whose done more projects than I can list):

Hooka: You mentioned the possibility of a NEO4All port to GPX2 (now GP2X) do you find the GP2X to be an interesting handheld for homebrew?

Chui: Of course, GP2X is definitively the future.

Hooka: When do you intend to get a GP2X? Right at launch or wait a bit?

Chui: Perhaps GameparkHoldings will give me one before launch, otherwise I will get it for christmas or for my birthday (April).

Hooka: What would you like to see for the future of the GP32/GP2X/DC scene's?

Chui: I think that GP32 will be outshone by GP2X. For Dreamcast I wish to finish my actual projects, also I wish to begin SNES4ALL and MAME4ALL. For GP2X, we will see a lot of good emulators the star will be a PlaystationOne emulator. I will try to adapt NEO4ALL using NeoGeo roms.

Read the entire interview, well done Hooka!

NOTE: perhaps the community should work to get devs like Chui GPX2's if GPH won't give them free ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that too.

Also the guys that did Frodo and Atari 800 are chomping at the bit too.

Now only if the SNES team would come back for a bit ;) The PSP seems to have their hearts. Also Skeezix is huge on PSP now, hopefully there will be Castaway on the GP2X :unsure:

YoyoFr is famous for quietly deving and coming out of nowhere with something amazing. I have no info at this time to prove that he's at all interested in GPx2, but I can't imagine he's not at all curious.

The big question is would he be interested in going back to a less powerful machine(GP2X) compared to PSP.

future is the gp2x.

the gp2x is future.

gp2x is the future.

is the future gp2x?

(i have no idea why i did that) :D

tengen posted on Sep 5 2005 at 10:46 PM said:
future is the gp2x.

the gp2x is future.

gp2x is the future.

is the future gp2x?

(i have no idea why i did that) :D
:lol: :lol:

DaveC posted on Sep 6 2005 at 03:46 AM said:
The big question is would he be interested in going back to a less powerful machine(GP2X)  compared to PSP.

Less power in CPU, yes. But with the dual cores used properly, still the possibility for some very good emulation. Also, how much faster REALLy is PSP? We know it ranges from 222Mhz to 333Mhz. But what if GPx2's CPU's can both be overclocked? Then it's not that far away from PSP. Considering all ARM chips in the past have been OC'able, these should be as well. So there may be more speed that we think once devs come to grips with the hardware.

But also better controls, MUCH more RAM (very important), SD cards, Linux, company support for homebrew, TV-out etc.

I'm sure he realizes the advantages of these things. CPU speed isn't everything.

Prophet posted on Sep 6 2005 at 03:56 AM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 6 2005 at 03:46 AM said:
The big question is would he be interested in going back to a less powerful machine(GP2X)  compared to PSP.

Less power in CPU, yes. But with the dual cores used properly, still the possibility for some very good emulation. Also, how much faster REALLy is PSP? We know it ranges from 222Mhz to 333Mhz. But what if GPx2's CPU's can both be overclocked? Then it's not that far away from PSP. Considering all ARM chips in the past have been OC'able, these should be as well. So there may be more speed that we think once devs come to grips with the hardware.

But also better controls, MUCH more RAM (very important), SD cards, Linux, company support for homebrew, TV-out etc.

I'm sure he realizes the advantages of these things. CPU speed isn't everything.

Yeah I guess we will see. Still so much is unknown about the GP2X. The PSP has two CPUs too. Maybe the two cores in the GP2X talk too slow or in a weird way to each other that they won't be useful for emus. Maybe they will be very useful, so much unknown. Maybe they like the better contrast on the PSP screen, or maybe the smearing bothers them.

Time will tell.

It's a pity that both processors use the same address and data bus (producing contention), but hopefully the caches on the processors will help with that.

Squidge posted on Sep 6 2005 at 06:51 AM said:
It's a pity that both processors use the same address and data bus (producing contention), but hopefully the caches on the processors will help with that.

So does that mean both CPUs can't be used at the same time and that only one can execute code at a time? If so than this really only would be like a 200 MHz system as far as emus go right?

no dvec, you are wrong, [snip]
it only means that they get a bit slower bus acces, wich hopefully can be compensated a bit by the cache, the mmsp2 even allows adding extra ram for the 2nd core, however gp2x wont use that feture.

Is it me or have these boards totally gone down hill in terms of sensible posts since the annoucement of the GPX2 ;)

ratx posted on Sep 6 2005 at 03:15 PM said:
Is it me or have these boards totally gone down hill in terms of sensible posts since the annoucement of the GPX2 ;)
Yeah. :D

Hanz & ratx,

Perhaps the two of you should refrain from visiting messageboards until you develop better social skills. Your boorish posts in this thread and others are the only thing "down hill" around here.

LD Chen could be on board by the looks of this post.

you seem quite optimistic about the gpx2, so can we assume that you may dev for the system ld?

I think it's really interesting.
I was very sceptic about the cores and the politics around this device ("play games with emulators"? just emulators???).
I'm really attracted by the dual core programming, althought we don't know if we can write programs for both processors.
I initially put my interests on the PSP, but it really seems that Sony hates legal free software on his device.
It's simply unacceptable.
So, it's surely better to support a platform that makes things easier for his users, right?

Sincerely,

LDChen

Jarska333, have a look at the 'unknown' one's aviator, then think of a classic computer.

I'm looking forward to October very much.

What ever happened to those videos that Craigix got in Korea?

carlgeorge posted on Sep 6 2005 at 06:48 PM said:
What ever happened to those videos that Craigix got in Korea?

He's got to edit them first, which is no simple task, as he mentioned that it wasn't digital, so needs to be captured into the PC first, and then manipulated with. He also said that there's far more important things to do at the moment, but will do the video/etc when he has time.

Back