Deal Or No Deal Game Info

Quick update on the progress. Today I have been working on the speech for the game. I am using the same method as my Darts game for the GP32 in which it strings together sound samples to make up a sentance. So saying 'for 215,000 dollars, deal or no deal' is made up of individual samples, 'for - 2 - hundred - and - 15 - thousand - dollars - deal or no deal'. This means the speech can be a little odd and unnatural but it also saves ALOT of space on the card rather than sampling alot more number combinations. It worked fairly well for Darts and with a bit of cleaning up should be fine on DOND. I have uploaded an early example of the above sentance for everyone to check out at http://www.emuboards.com/images/dond-sample.mp3

I am also planning on adding other speech for prompts on what to do next, general chatter etc. Not sure how much there will be as I want to keep the game a respectable size and adding loads of speech increases it alot. All the games graphics at the moment takes up just 60K of space, while the music and speech currently uses just over 2MB, at a guess I would say no more than 5MB of speech, the music around 3MB.

After the speech is done the game is mostly finished, just need to tweak the banker AI and start cleaning everything up. I may ask for some beta testers so keep an eye out here sometime in the next week or so for more information.

The number sounded fine, but then when he said, "Deal Or No Deal?" it sounded choppy to me. Are those separate clips, or is that one clip?

the 'deal or no deal' part is all one sample as it doesnt need to be cut down anymore. the rest of the sentance is made up of individual samples.

Guyfawkes posted on Mar 16 2006 at 03:59 PM said:
the 'deal or no deal' part is all one sample as it doesnt need to be cut down anymore. the rest of the sentance is made up of individual samples.
Yeah, that's what I thought you meant in your other message. Hmm, maybe I'll have to go back and listen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds ok to me, when a single word is generated it sometimes sounds differently than a sentance would because it flows better.

heres the same example sentance which is generated as one sample instead of individual samples, http://www.emuboards.com/images/dond-sample2.mp3. Mine is actually a bit better when saying the number, it says 'and' during it while the second sample misses this out, but the second sounds slightly better as it flows more naturally. I will sort this out later today, its just a matter of cutting the blank space at the end of each sample.

As an aside, it might be interesting to have a few different "Deal Or No Deal" samples and choose one at random each time. That phrase will be used so often that it might be nice to change it up a bit and have different inflections and whatnot.

Or, I suppose you could do it so that "Deal Or No Deal" sounds different depending on how high the banker's offer was.

I'm looking forward to this. My kids are driving me mad asking when it will be finished.
Good Work GF

Done some more work on the game today. I changed the way the money offered is spoken as saying the full sentance took too long. i.e. saying 245,678 dollars takes ages so I have put in an option to say just 245 thousand dollars which is much faster and sounds nicer.

I also finally got to watch the US version of the show, as I expected alot 'bigger' than the UK version but the format is mostly the same. I noticed on the US scoreboard it has an animated background thingy every few seconds so I added in a quick bump map in the game to add some authenticity :) It travels in the background and lights up the area its currently on, looks pretty good I think.

I uploaded a video taken on my phone camera (so not great quality) to show the progress. The phone ringing sfx is a bit too high so turn your speaker volume down a bit until after its finished. You can view it at http://207.44.176.77/~admin28/dond-1.wmv

deal or no deal is for idiots, for gods sake, they clap when someone opens a box with a low number, as if to say well done you've got skill in opening boxes!!!

game looks good though.

Paradox posted on Mar 24 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
deal or no deal is for idiots, for gods sake, they clap when someone opens a box with a low number, as if to say well done you've got skill in opening boxes!!!

game looks good though.
Game looks nice though.

Game looks well put together though.

Game looks impressive though.

I can't see it being actually good... but that could just be me.

If I want to open things for the thrill of finding out what the random contents are I'll take the labels off my cans. At least that way I get to eat whatever I found.

Here's my version of Deal or no deal. It'll compile for the gp2x with only minor modifications.

Code:
#include <functions_to_make_my_psuedo_C_work.h>
main()
{
  int value;
  char playagain;

value=0;
  playagain=1;

while(playagain>0)
  {
    value = rand()*20000;

printf("Congratulations, your box contained %s\n\n",value);
    printf("Do you want to play again? (1=yes, 0=no)\n",value);

playagain= getchar();
  }
}
[/end slightly mean anti-DonD rant]

I just had a quick game of that flash versijon linked earlier.

Amazing, the game is more boring than the show itself.
Why the hell anyone would want to play a computer version of a show that is purely luck and you can't win anything anyway is beyond me. At least Millionaire has a quiz element to it.

Paradox posted on Mar 25 2006 at 06:18 AM said:

Yeah, and (at least in the Aussie version) the host makes out like it was the faulkt of the person opening the box that there was a high value inside!

For christs sake, the show is stupid and the game is worse. How people actually could want this garbage is beyond me. It proves the people really will play/watch any old crap.

bound to get a few people that dont like the game :) like most games played on a computer you dont 'win' anything, if your lucky you get your name in an highscore table and some nice screens to look at... pretty much the same end result as playing deal or no deal on a computer :)

Wow, this looks great...do we get a demo soon? :)

I love this show and play it on the NBC site all the time, but their
'Banker's Formula' seems screwed up sometimes, offering the wrong amt.

If you are still looking for help with graphics, let me know.
I dont know how much I could help.. but am willing.

No demo unfortunately. I should have finished the game by now but have been very busy the past weeks or two, my brother recently got out of hospital after an operation to remove a slipped disc so I have been helping out looking after him. Next week I am aiming to get the game to a mostly finished state and give to a few beta testers.

I want to get the banker offers to a reasonable level, this is usually a rough average of the remaining prizes on the board but I want to make it a bit more advanced and make offers based on the previous choices and whats left on the board i.e. if you picked all high prizes the previous round you would get a slighly lower offer than expected. This way the banker is more devious and hopefully makes a better game.

The gfx is mostly done now, I drew most of the gfx myself a few weeks ago but I still need a hand cursor sprite. It should be 13x17 pixels in size with a transparency value of 255,0,255 (#FF00FF) and in BMP format. It should be a light colour as the backgrounds are dark. Check out the earlier screenshots for what it currently looks like, if you need more information let me know, I might even send you a beta to try ;)

Oh just remembered, I am looking for ideas for unlockable features in the game which you can open by winning a certain amount of money. One idea I have is that you can unlock a custom background for the game which if you wanted shows a photo of yourself so it looks a bit like the TV show. If you have any ideas for unlockable features let me know.

Guyfawkes posted on Apr 2 2006 at 12:43 PM said:
No demo unfortunately. I should have finished the game by now but have been very busy the past weeks or two, my brother recently got out of hospital after an operation to remove a slipped disc so I have been helping out looking after him. Next week I am aiming to get the game to a mostly finished state and give to a few beta testers.

I want to get the banker offers to a reasonable level, this is usually a rough average of the remaining prizes on the board but I want to make it a bit more advanced and make offers based on the previous choices and whats left on the board i.e. if you picked all high prizes the previous round you would get a slighly lower offer than expected. This way the banker is more devious and hopefully makes a better game.

The gfx is mostly done now, I drew most of the gfx myself a few weeks ago but I still need a hand cursor sprite. It should be 13x17 pixels in size with a transparency value of 255,0,255 (#FF00FF) and in BMP format. It should be a light colour as the backgrounds are dark. Check out the earlier screenshots for what it currently looks like, if you need more information let me know, I might even send you a beta to try ;)

Oh just remembered, I am looking for ideas for unlockable features in the game which you can open by winning a certain amount of money. One idea I have is that you can unlock a custom background for the game which if you wanted shows a photo of yourself so it looks a bit like the TV show. If you have any ideas for unlockable features let me know.
Sorry to hear about your brother. Hope he is healing well.
How do you figure out the banker levels? Is there a set formula for the remaining dollar amounts? You mentioned you wanted to 'tweak' the formula to make the dealer more devious.

Maybe if this involves tweaking a 'set' formula, you can also include the original 'bankers formula' as an option for normal gameplay.

Any chance you are cropping out pictures of the hosts for the title screen or pictures of the models? (The models have individual BIOS and Pictures on the NBC site) I'm in the US and would love to see Howie's mug on the title screen of the game.

More questions about the US version, are you planning the 'Money bars' to be a single yellow color, like in the flash version that was posted above, or multi-colored
like on the NBC website (which looks more like the TV Show)

I'll be looking forward to any possible betas you might be able to slip my way...
and maybe I can come up with some unlockables or other ideas for you.

One idea: since you really aren't playing for real money, people seem to just 'go for it' because there is nothing really on the line.
If you have a 2 player challenge, you could figure the winner based on totals from 3 to 5 games. That way, a player may be tempted to take the larger banker offers instead of just opening cases to see what they have.

Talk to you soon.

currently the banker offers are just a basic average calculation based on whats left on the board. the AI i am planning will be similar but the offers may differ slightly depending on what is left on the board, so if you had more lower numbers than high you would get a a slighly lower than average offer. i see this quite a bit in the UK version of the show and its an interesting tactic from the banker as the slightly lower than expected offer plays mind games and makes you want to continue to get an higher offer, it goes the same way reversed for slightly higher than average offers, the player has to think more carefully about dealing or not.

i was thinking about adding in the the presenter and models stuff. definately a possibility and i can tie that in with the speech for the presenter to ask to open the case. only problem is the UK show doesnt have models to open the boxes, instead they use the contestants waiting to play the game. one idea i had was to maybe add a few gp2x owners in the game, maybe the people that beta test or donate to the game ;)

both the US and UK 'bars' have gradients which I havent done yet, my gfx skills dont reach that far :) so it isnt something I planned to do. if you or anyone else can help out with that it would be good to have in the game.

multiplayer is something i am planning to add. not 100% sure if this will be in the first release as I want to see how popular the game is before I spend more time working on it.

about the betas, I will post here to ask for some when the game is mostly finished. in the past I have given out betas and got crap feedback like 'yeah its fine' when i know there are bugs (i leave some in on purpose to see how good they are at testing) so i only want people that are prepared to sit down and properly play for a few times and give good feedback, i.e. bug reports, suggestions on what to change, new ideas etc.

Back