Deal Or No Deal V1.0

Very polished game indeed.. great stuff.

I did notice the audience was a bit inconsistent in deciding when to clap but it's a minor thing.

I hope you all enjoy playing it as much as i have had beta testing it. I'm so happy to see it released now. It's really is one of the highest quality games on the 2x. VERY well made. Good Job, Guyfawkes, Thanks for making this! :D

subcon959 posted on Sep 22 2006 at 10:55 PM said:

I did notice the audience was a bit inconsistent in deciding when to clap but it's a minor thing.

This is one of the things I hope to improve on in the next release. At the moment its very simple, the board is basically split into three sections (low, medium, high) and the audience will always respond the same no matter whats left on the board (unless you have dealt, then the response is reversed). The improved method will work out whats remaining on the board and respond accordingly.

Thanks for all the comments so far, good to see everyone enjoying the game and apologies if your wife or kids have stole your gp2x ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guyfawkes posted on Sep 23 2006 at 12:52 AM said:
subcon959 posted on Sep 22 2006 at 10:55 PM said:

This is one of the things I hope to improve on in the next release. At the moment its very simple, the board is basically split into three sections (low, medium, high) and the audience will always respond the same no matter whats left on the board (unless you have dealt, then the response is reversed). The improved method will work out whats remaining on the board and respond accordingly.

Thanks for all the comments so far, good to see everyone enjoying the game and apologies if your wife or kids have stole your gp2x ;)

I finally managed to prise it back from her hands....She commented that it was really well done. My son has now stolen my GP2x to play Thomas the Tank Engine. Cest la vie. :lol:

I've been waiting for this one and it is a great game thanks guyfawkes.

ohhhh, by the way once i had 2 boxes left, £75,000 and £100,000 and the banker offered £56,000 :blink: ???

I will look into the banker offers, I have a feeling the bug is in the uK version only so this will definately be fixed in the next version later next week.

Got the first donation earlier, thanks Luke! Dont forget you can donate to the game via PayPal, more information in the user guide etc. All donations go towards moving to a new much more reliable server for my sites.

It's very different from the Australian version of the show, a show which I hated at first but has really won me over. The host is funny/energetic and the whole show is sort of done like a party. Strangely addictive viewing.

Nice work Guyfawkes (claps)

(quickly stops clapping) I now have to ask the girlfriend where she's left the GP2X cause up until i put this on the SD card she had no interest in it :lol:

I also had the bug (UK version) as mentioned above on my very 1st (bad) game was left with £50 and £100 pounds and banker offered £45 - Bargain i thought and took it :D

Another thing, Would be nice to have the banker ask if you wanted to swap boxes when down to the last one before dealing/opening as in the show sometimes but as already said, Very tidy release.

the offer to swap boxes at the end is already in the game but you wont get it every time, its currently set to a 25% chance you will. it is a fairly rare occasion this happens on the TV show so I thought 1 in 4 would be fine, but if you think it should be increased to say 50% let me know.

slightly related to the amounts the banker offers, i have been reading up on how he works it out (its not just an average which is pretty much what i am using) so I will look into this properly next week and sort it out for a future release. the UK offers is definately broken though, I might put out a quick fix on monday to sort this out in the meantime.

Guyfawkes posted on Sep 22 2006 at 05:01 PM said:
weird, it shows up fine on my firefox, opera and IE. what browser you using? might be a problem somewhere.
If he wasn't using IE I would say it sounds like a adblock problem.

If only I wasn't so bust with homework I could of done much more testing :(

Excellent presentation. Excellent.

The American version seems most similar (but not the same) as the Australian, but it's not like it has to be exactly the same as the TV show to be enjoyable - the basic game mechanic is the same.

My very first game ever (just played 30 seconds ago) I picked the briefcase with the $1mil in it! YAY!

If only I hadn't dealt out at $75,000. :)

Guyfawkes posted on Sep 23 2006 at 05:38 PM said:
the offer to swap boxes at the end is already in the game but you wont get it every time, its currently set to a 25% chance you will. it is a fairly rare occasion this happens on the TV show so I thought 1 in 4 would be fine, but if you think it should be increased to say 50% let me know.

Hi Guyfawkes.
I heard the game was going to be good, but I had no idea it would be this great! Wow!
It has changed my life. At first I was feeling that I had no focus in life, that I was wondering
the earth just wasting other peoples air. Then I played DOND on the GP2X! Just in 24hours I
gained the self confidence to do just about anything. I'm completely outgoing now and
am making a huge difference in the world (and women think it's HOT when they find out
that it's really just a GP2X w/DOND in my pocket- - and that I'm just not happy to see them! )
;)

Just wanted to let you know that the US show offers the last swap 100% of the time. Its only happened a handfull of
times (or less) but it always is offered.

I'm surprised the UK 'offer bug' got past us during testing. Yes, the majority of the games I played were the U.S. version,
but I played an occasional UK game here and there.

Looks like you've got a hit on your hands! Good job!
dgrams2000

The bankers offers are now fixed and much more accurate than they were before. I am now using the 'fair deal' method to work out the offers, see here for more details http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/dealexplanation.htm. I really should have done this in the first place as it was literally a 2 minute task :) I may tweak this a little further to add in a slightly higher or lower offer depending on how good or bad you are playing.

I am going to fix a couple of minor bugs that have been reported and also try and sort out the crowd reaction code so expect a v1.1 release in a day or two. I looked into the swap case code and it definately works 25% of the time, so i think you was just (un)lucky to get it or not the times you have played. I can increase this to 50% chance if needed.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I thought about adding a bankers offer calculator in the game. This could be useful if you are watching the show and want to see how the banker is playing compared to my method or maybe you are playing an home made version at a party and need a calculator. Reply here if you are interested.

You know, as an almost seperate project it would be interesting (well...) to have a "play along at home" version of DOND, where as the boxes are revealed on the tv show, you let your program know and then it calculates the odds on where the money is next, when the optimal deal is, etc.

I mean, this would only be interesting for people who like statistics ... mathematicians and cricket fans!

Guyfawkes posted on Sep 25 2006 at 12:04 AM said:
The bankers offers are now fixed and much more accurate than they were before. I am now using the 'fair deal' method to work out the offers, see here for more details http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/dealexplanation.htm. I really should have done this in the first place as it was literally a 2 minute task :) I may tweak this a little further to add in a slightly higher or lower offer depending on how good or bad you are playing.

I am going to fix a couple of minor bugs that have been reported and also try and sort out the crowd reaction code so expect a v1.1 release in a day or two. I looked into the swap case code and it definately works 25% of the time, so i think you was just (un)lucky to get it or not the times you have played. I can increase this to 50% chance if needed.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I thought about adding a bankers offer calculator in the game. This could be useful if you are watching the show and want to see how the banker is playing compared to my method or maybe you are playing an home made version at a party and need a calculator. Reply here if you are interested.

I have released an update to the game which has a few changes and fixes some bugs:

- Rewrote bankers offer code so it is much more accurate. This also fixed a major bug on UK version with the offers being below the box values.
- Made a big error with the $750 box being shown and valued at $700, duh! Now fixed.
- Rewrote audience reaction code when opening a box/case. Before it wasnt very accurate and would give very stupid reactions. Now its more dynamic and the crowd reacts to what has been opened and whats left on the boards.
- Enabled 3 more crowd reaction sounds which I forgot to do, adds a bit more variety now.

If you already have the game installed on your SD card you can download the updated files to overwrite the old ones, you can download the update here. I will upload the full version of the game to the GP2X Archive shortly and make a news post about it when its accepted.

Dont forget if you like the game please consider donating via PayPal. All donations go towards moving my site to a new server which we desperately need to do. So far I have only had one donation from dodgyville, so a big thanks to him for supporting the game. More information on how to donate is in the games readme and user guide. Thanks!

Guyfawkes...you lost me my GP2X. My gf picked it up and played deal or no deal and now i'm 'not allowed on it'.

p.s keep up the good work but try and make games that girls wont like in future.

Back