Deal Or No Deal Game Info

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com
As a quick sideline project from my remake of Rockstar Ate My Hamster I am coding a Deal Or No Deal game for the GP2X. If you are not familiar with the game, its a gameshow shown in a few countries, more info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deal_or_no_deal

More information and loads of screenshots of the game can be found on my homebrew site at http://www.emuboards.com/guyfawkes/

[UPDATE] September 19th - Just sent out the very final beta to the testers. The 'todo' list is empty and all known bugs have been fixed, so if all goes well the game should be ready for release in a couple of days, hopefully Thursday or Friday.

Trashman posted on Mar 13 2006 at 09:17 AM said:
Man, everone stands round at work watching this on the telle right now. Its going to be as big as who wants to be a millionare. Well done on the idea to do a game.
Who wants to be a millionaire was fucking terrible. I hope this show isn't that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genius, I love deal or no deal. I'd offer to help if I was artistically challenged!

aapje89 posted on Mar 13 2006 at 06:58 PM said:
"Deal or No Deal is a television game show format owned by Rob Hipskind-based production company Endemol"

Dutch ^^

btw: That show sucks!

Guyfawkes, will you add in a SDL_Delay(0xFFFFFFFF) before every event to make it more realistic?

bacteria said:
after all, the game started (I think!) in the UK

It was first on Dutch TV, then in Australia. The UK and US versions were 2 years after Australia.

In italy it's called Affari Tuoi. I can't believe that this show is popular elsewhere, it's complete garbage.

If the format is the same then basically you choose a box at random and then spend half an hour doing bugger all until eventually you find out what your prize was.

Sure, you get a couple of offers for your box to let you cash in if you're not feeling like gambling, but basically the whole program could be replaced by spinning a wheel with 20-odd prizes of assorted value on it.

Whoop-de-do.

heres a new screenshot from the latest build of the game. it has a new logo and background image which a mate gave to me, they are near the same as the ones used in the US gameshow apparently.

dond-3.png

I would still like to see other ideas for logos, backgrounds and hand cursor sprites, so if you was working on them please continue to do so.

To answer a few questions, yeah the UK version of the game drags on for too long but it does add alot of tension to the game. Number of times us lot have been swearing at the tv to no deal etc, pefect example was saturdays game if you watched it :) If it didnt drag on the game would take under 5 minutes to play which is too quick and expensive for the tv companies. Personally, I love the game, best gameshow since millionaire :)

The idea of the game is basically to try and get the most out of the banker, it is pure luck the value is in the case/box you get and what is contained in the others you pick. But there is some logic to the game as you need to think about the odds of picking a low or high box and when to deal or not.

I havent finished coding the game but I would guess a full game would take maybe ten minutes if you play it properly. I have thought about adding in photo support for Noel Edmunds and other countries presenters as well as displaying your own photo, this may be an unlockable feature i.e. you have to win a certain amount before its unlocked.

I am also planning on adding some speech for the game. Things like 'Pick your first/second/third etc case/box', some general chat like 'we want the next round to be low numbers' and of course 'deal or no deal' and so on. These will be skippable so you dont have to listen to them. My mate is making some background music which will add suspense and there will also be audience sfx for groans and cheers, phone ringing etc.

Keep the posts coming, its good to see alot of replies for a game that isnt released yet and is pushing me to keep working on the game during spare time.

Good on ya! Its allways nice to see idea's materialize into games and I think all levels of critisism only push you to achive a game which makes those who perhaps dont like the tv show sit up and say 'but I like Guyfawkes game'.
Nice one. :)

Guyfawkes posted on Mar 14 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
I havent finished coding the game but I would guess a full game would take maybe ten minutes if you play it properly. I have thought about adding in photo support for Noel Edmunds and other countries presenters as well as displaying your own photo, this may be an unlockable feature i.e. you have to win a certain amount before its unlocked.

I am also planning on adding some speech for the game. Things like 'Pick your first/second/third etc case/box', some general chat like 'we want the next round to be low numbers' and of course 'deal or no deal' and so on. These will be skippable so you dont have to listen to them. My mate is making some background music which will add suspense and there will also be audience sfx for groans and cheers, phone ringing etc.

Keep the posts coming, its good to see alot of replies for a game that isnt released yet and is pushing me to keep working on the game during spare time.

It's really popular here in Spain too. I reckon it will work well on the handheld. I like the idea of speech and unlockable extras (unlocking presenters from round the world could be good - you could have a screen with a map of the world and their images over their countries or a tile set like Tekken etc).

It is a very simple game as far as the rules go but some of the best ones are. I reckon it could be quite a laugh.

Looking forward to this.

Didn't know they had dug Noel up to present it back home!!! :eek:

Slightly off topic: I am really glad to see a lot of lovely looking homebrew stuff coming through at the moment. Whilst I like the emulation, there is something special about sharing stuff made specifically for and by the community. Nice one guys. B)

yeah I copied the layout of the game from the flash you posted as I have no idea what the US version of the gameshow looks like, so I am using that design until I get hold of a US version of the show to see what it looks like. i drew the gfx myself apart from the logo and the background, a friend got those for me (probably from that flash?).

The UK version is a bit different to the US version, heres a screengrab of the UK show I took last week. Instead of cases we have boxes and theres only 22 instead of 26 to pick from, also the order they are picked is different, groups of 3 instead of 6,5,4 etc. The layout is pretty much the same though, the boxes go in the middle of the screen and the numbers go along the left and right sides.

as sad as Noel Edmunds and as sad as playing slot machines or video poker.

15 boxes with some numbers inside, pick a box to open, spin this out for 30 minutes by opening all other boxes 1 by 1...............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back