Day of the Pandora is approaching.

We'vre got 300 units left to be produced and are still collecting for the preorder fund.

Updating is still possible as well, and if no Pandoras are left you can get a Pyra for production costs.

So it's not lost, but not the best situation either.

Out of interest, are you able to release information about where you're up to in the preorder queue? ISTR you've put out offers to everyone who pledged for 200 euro a while back already, but it might be nice for people waiting to know if their pledge for foo euro is anywhere near getting funded, or whether they're better off buying a full new unit while they're still available (especially at your new bundle pricing!)

Just a suggestion, perhaps the profile here can be modified:

http://openpandora.org/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=104&Itemid=15&lang=en

Anyone searching for "Craig Rothwell" on Google comes upon that page first of all, with its rather flattering biography which I and many others would feel is no longer entirely merited.

The first comment in a news article about the latest Pandora news mentioned Craig Rothwell:

http://liliputing.com/2014/06/openpandora-releases-open-source-hardware-case-designs-handheld-game-system.html

If people Google Craig and come across that profile, they might be under the mistaken assumption that he and the rest of the OP team are still on good terms.

Maybe I'll just close down the old portal - is there anything interesting left there?

It has nice, concise, official profiles of some of the main people involved in the Pandora. I think the Pandora Wikipedia article might be currently referencing some of them ('course, Internet Archive links could probably be used instead).

But yes, that does seem to be one thing that the new site is missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you trying to say that one of Craig's *positive* qualities is that he brought drama to the project? :-||

=~. O =
Actually: Without Craig, the pandora would never have existed, because ED would never have ventured into doing something like that. It was Craigs original enthusiasm and simplification that pulled ED into this. So yes, thanks to *Craig* ED is starting the pyra! :).

(Its the near death experience that triggered the survival instinct somehow...)

AjVdFon.jpg

Are you trying to say that one of Craig's *positive* qualities is that he brought drama to the project? :-||

=~. O =
Actually: Without Craig, the pandora would never have existed, because ED would never have ventured into doing something like that. It was Craigs original enthusiasm and simplification that pulled ED into this. So yes, thanks to *Craig* ED is starting the pyra! :).
(Its the near death experience that triggered the survival instinct somehow...)
.....and thanks to Craig hundreds of his pre orders will not get a Pandora nearly 6 years later!

Yes ED will supply a Pyra at production cost but some of the pre orders may not wish/have the money to do that meaning they lose their money.

Craig was a hero to start with but once he messed up seriously with the 1ghz pre orders everything after that was very suspect!

If this project had been a financial success then Craig would have made a lot of money with any money made by ED just being profit from his own sales - Craig would also have been the owner of a successful company which would have been worth a fair amount.

ED must have been pulled into taking over the production as he had investors on board and also knew that with organisation this project could work - without him many more pre orders would have been Pandora less and he obviously did not want to let his own pre orders down

Unfortunately I don't have money laying around to pay for a second unit (which would really be my first) even at "production cost".  I guess all I got for my money is an expensive lesson in trusting people and trying to help support a project.

Maybe I'll just close down the old portal - is there anything interesting left there?
Nothing much, just a list of us 397 or more screwed up - that list is missing at front page of Portal.

So, big news of Day of the Pandora was - kill the old portal and hide the past? Welcome to 1984.

Yeah, it was birthday present for my son that he will remember for whole life.

Let's celebrate. Day of the Pandora. Predecessor of ICP2.

Nothing much, just a list of us 397 or more screwed up - that list is missing at front page of Portal.

So, big news of Day of the Pandora was - kill the old portal and hide the past? Welcome to 1984.

Oh, you want ED to violate privacy laws now so he can publish a "Hall of Fame" list of all the names of all the martyrs in Craig's preorderer queue? On the front page of the official Pandora website no less?

As an iCP2 backer, I know the feeling of having wasted money to the Great Craig Black Hole. It is not a particularly nice feeling. But I don't see how the situation improves by being a forum party pooper at any possible occasion. Especially if you're directing your party pooping at guys like ED and Link who are actually actively trying to improve the situation, clean up the mess Craig left, learn lessons from the past, and move on with better-managed new projects.

So please, darkborn, take your hostility and contra-productive dark cynicism born from admittedly understandable frustration elsewhere. Yes, Craig's incompetence and dishonesty caused you to lose money half a decade ago. Get over it, or take action against Craig, whatever, but stop annoying us with it. And get your son a Pandora Mega package at ED's shop for his next birthday.

So can we be directly PM'd please if we are able to receive our pandora from all thats left?  

Waiting 6 years, it would be nice to have some light shed on if we are going to be ok..... or have been scammed out of 400 bucks 

There is still the forum section for classic preorders with all that information. It's still valid, explains all possibilities, so there's no need to PM everyone.

Once a unit is ready thanks to donations and your choice in the survey, you get an email anyways.

Oh, you want ED to violate privacy laws now so he can publish a "Hall of Fame" list of all the names of all the martyrs in Craig's preorderer queue? On the front page of the official Pandora website no less?

As an iCP2 backer, I know the feeling of having wasted money to the Great Craig Black Hole. It is not a particularly nice feeling. But I don't see how the situation improves by being a forum party pooper at any possible occasion. Especially if you're directing your party pooping at guys like ED and Link who are actually actively trying to improve the situation, clean up the mess Craig left, learn lessons from the past, and move on with better-managed new projects.

So please, darkborn, take your hostility and contra-productive dark cynicism born from admittedly understandable frustration elsewhere. Yes, Craig's incompetence and dishonesty caused you to lose money half a decade ago. Get over it, or take action against Craig, whatever, but stop annoying us with it. And get your son a Pandora Mega package at ED's shop for his next birthday.
You are missing the point.

Question was "Should Pandora portal be closed?"

Big NO from me.

There should be "Hall of Fame" with proper explanation and informations (like this wiki page) what has happened. And link for donations for victims.

I am not expecting that somebody will donate after all that mess, but this is right thing to do imho.

Closing = hiding.

Btw List of donors should be transparent: I made small Paypal donation myself sometimes before, as a test. Never showed up!

@"violating privacy laws":

1) is this comparable to missing of hundreds of thousands dollars?

2) Who has EVER said that there should be NAMES? Don't put your words in my mouth.

Simple #order_number code will be sufficient, not same as original #order_number code of course. Conversion table should be at private, safe place, right here where "Hall of Fame" is now - at ED.

You do not understand how many people know about this mess, there is no any Pyra that will hide the past.

Imho, closing original Portal is lunatic move. You do not need Sony, Nintendo or whatever proprietary competition to make FUD about it: it is already here.

If somebody new find out what was happening before, and found out about hiding this infos, this would become swiftly spreading warning sign.

Think about this:

How many people knew that Craig is not trustworthy person, but still ordered ICP2 because of rest of the crew - particularly ED?

And how many of them knew that Jacquelyn and Debbie-Leigh Jones are Craig's mother and sister?

I know who knew for sure. ED.

http://www.girlgamersuk.com/2012/09/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller-needs-your-support/

Craig Rothwell, Michael Weston, Michael Mrozek, Mark Linkhorst, Dave Cancilier, Jacquelyn and Debs all have one thing in common. They’ve all spent the last ten years in the technology industry and need your help on Kickstarter. In the past they have worked on a selection of projects from OpenPandora, iControlpad, and GP2X &GP32 and much more.
http://www.ijailbreak.com/accessories/icontrolpad2-kickstarter-open-source-bluetooth-controller/

The iControlPad was built by Product 3 LLC, which is a team of Craig Rothwell, Michael Weston, Michael Mrozek, Mark Linkhorst, Dave Cancilier, Jacquelyn and Debs.
And there is always Wayback Machine, so closing the past is impossible.

So, please, stop with hiding.

True is that there are thousands of happy Pandora owners around, and that should be stated before "Hall of Fame", at original site, as a virtual monument of open source gaming history. And ED is creditable for that and should be mentioned here, for sure.

Just - not more hiding.

> And get your son a Pandora Mega package at ED's shop for his next birthday.

If you are not paid for this, please do not suggest me where I will spent my money. If you are, made public state about it.

Or, if you're really concerned about my son, you are free to donate him "Pandora Mega package" by yourself

Not more hiding?

Simmer down dude, ED has never tried to hide the mess. He even mentioned the problem at his FOSDEM talk, which was the first public announcement of the Pyra.

There's even a video for your viewing pleasure.

It stinks that you are one of the people on Craig's list that never got their Pandora. But coming here to throw shit at ED and the community (who actually helped, and are helping to clean Craig's mess) doesn't make you any better that Craig, and won't make your pandora magically appear at your door.

The iControlPad was built by Product 3 LLC, which is a team of Craig Rothwell, Michael Weston, Michael Mrozek, Mark Linkhorst, Dave Cancilier, Jacquelyn and Debs.
And there is always Wayback Machine, so closing the past is impossible.
As it appears you are not aware, because this seems to be a crucial point to your rant, but EvilDragon (aka Michael Mrozek) emphatically stated that his name NOT be included with respect to the iCP2 because he had no practical interaction with it. Craig put his name on there against his wishes. I don't think ED should be held accountable for this in any way.
I'm not sure what you're getting at with regards to "hiding" though. Have you never seen a website close down before? This is a thing that happens, quite frequently: the author of the site doesn't want to maintain it anymore for whatever reason and just shuts it down. Rarely is it in some conspiratorial attempt to cover up the past, it's almost invariable exactly what it means: it's old, it's useless, it is time to close it down and move on. In this case, not only is it useless, but it contains outdated information that is detrimental: there are better sources of information. I mean, half the pages on the portal don't even work properly anymore: missing images and stylesheets. Do you want him to expend the resources getting everything working again just so you can feel good about preserving history? You want it to stick around, mirror it, fix it yourself, and host it elsewhere on your own dollar. And like you said, it's not like getting rid of the portal would actually destroy evidence, the internet is archived and anyone who wants to will be able to find all the same old information so looking at it as an attempt to hide the past is pointless.

If you actually have a legitimate reason to keep the portal around then please state it, your tin foil hat theory about destroying evidence doesn't make any sense.

Back