Custom Kayboard Layouts Are Not Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
I just got a response from Jacquelyn saying that printing a custom keyboard layout, even if we wanted to pay extra for that, is not possible. MWeston said once that it's just flapping a new file on the printer, but apparently it's more complex than it looks. Oh well, less flexibiity, more whining, roll on ;)

It could be that Jacquelyn is the sales force, trying to stave off a wave of custom keyboard prints before they're ready for them. It could be just as easy as MWeston said, they just want to wait, and better to say it's not possible than to say it's possible but...
Unless your conversation was more in depth than I'm giving you credit for.

Hmm.. she promised to ask Craig about that, then she was sitting silent for two months. Yesterday I asked second time and today I got an answer. In that answer she didn't explicitly say that she asked Craig, maybe she did. So she could be staving off a wave of people or maybe not...

EDIT: In fact I assumed that she did ask him. But thinking on the way you have put it, I stopped to be sure.

Who said anything about custom keyboard layouts? We were always talking about localized versions here which shouldn't be a problem.
Should be a big difference:
- localized = same for everybody, a lot of people who will want one
- custom = only for you with your own, custom layout

With custom, I guess she meant that you can change the keys whatever you like.
This is NOT possible, as it is a mat.

For changing the layout, yes, it's possible. We need to order 1000 at least, but localized versions are no prob.

With custom, I guess she meant that you can change the keys whatever you like.
This is NOT possible, as it is a mat.

For changing the layout, yes, it's possible. We need to order 1000 at least, but localized versions are no prob.
Hi ED, first I'm sorry for being such a jerk 4 months ago.

You know what I want - "Ctrl" "Alt" on bottom left instead of "," "." Even though it means that sticky keys must be used to press more than two-key combination (but there is still a second Ctrl-Alt on Start-Select keys, which doesn't need sticky keys for that). Roughly 50% people voted for that, so you could be ordering roughly 2000 keymats like that....

Question is: do you categorize that as a "localized" version? If so, just offer something and I (and probably 50% of everyone???) will take it without even looking at where all the other symbols are placed. I care only for Ctrl-Alt :)

best regards

Last edited by a moderator:
So TECHNICALLY even custom jobs are possible, as long as one is willing to order 1000 of them?

I gues it depends then on just how much anyone wants a customised printing.

Another keyboard thread? Zzz... ZZzzz... Pandora shouldn't have any keyboard at all. It would save a lot of bytes

I think craig, MWeston or EvilDragon should answer this, as it brews confusion.

Cosurgi:
Let me get this straight. You asked about the possibility of ordering a localized (i.e. German or Polish) keyboard mat? Or did you ask about a custom-layout, as in a keymat with replanted functions keys and whatever else you'd like?

If it's the first, then Jacquelyn's reply is kinda strange. If it's the second, then I'm not surprised that she said no, because it's pretty obvious I guess ;)

ED: Can you privide some more info about priceing, please? What is price for 1000 Pandoras keymats with custom (or say localized) layout?

Please not that again :rolleyes:
Send cosurgy a special keymat containing only ü,ä,ö,ß :p

The conspiracy theorist in me though it was hilarious that these forums happened to go down the same day the keyboard pics came out. As soon as I saw the pics I tried to log in to see Cosurgi's response.

I want to know too, maybe just because i'm curious, though i just did a rough calculation that 1000 keymats shouldnt take more space than 28x42x100cm :p (as a 3D stack of 2x5x100) (eg. i might not want to have them hanging around my room, but they would fit...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had asked about designing a Japanese keyboard layout for this device to ED a little while ago. I've been eyeballing design concepts since, as this could appeal to the electronic multilingual dictionary crowd quite a bit with the right software: Handwriting recognition like tomoe (we have a touchscreen, after all!) combined with the right control scheme and a lightweight Python app using JMDict could win us another niche.

How much do 1000 mats cost, roughly? Could you get blank mats for testing?

Yea, I would love to see a mat similar to what we have now, except Start and Select only said Start and Select. So if it's possible that we could get that for some users if we can drum up enough interested users, I would love to do that.

-God Ginrai

It would be great to have a scandinavian layout. Is there 1000 customers from Sweden, Norway and Denmark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back