Custom Kayboard Layouts Are Not Possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
irrelevant. It would be cool though. :"]
I was going to piece together a little web or Python application for it using JMDict and a trimmed down cache of Wikipedia JA / EN as one of my projects. If you're interested in helping coordinate something, let me know.[/quote]I actually started learning python recently... it's my first time learning programming and I don't think I'll be of much help.
I guess I could help maintaining a wiki entry for anything Japanese related about the Pandora though.

I definitely will have quite a lot of free time starting next week, so if there is something in particular you need help with don't hesitate to PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you only have to buy 250 a piece. And you'll need them, nothing's more annoying than the silk screening wearing off of a keyboard.
As for the topic at hand, if people keep whining about it Craig'll probably decided that we don't deserve keyboard mats at all. Or if we're somewhat more fortunate we'll get das Pandora Keyboard.

I do wonder if we can get das Pandora Keyboard just buy axing, I'm sure that wouldn't really cost any extra money beyond making sure it ended up in the right Pandora.

I don't expect to get 1000. But if a couple of hundred people were to support my idea and were willing to pay extra, then we could go ahead and buy the 1000, could we not? It's all about if people are willing to spend more to have the keymat they want. I sure as hell am.
You seem to be a nice enough fellow other than a bit obsessive on this one matter, but I am sorry to say that I think you are off by a factor. I think you'd be lucky to find 10 people willing to pay for this change. Unless you can wiggle your way with the people who want other changes and have this added to their run (should they ever get enough to make it happen).

Why not just remove the ones you don't want with a black permanent marker, or maybe black nail polish or something?
Because I'm a perfectionist to a certain degree. I could never take a black marker or nail polish to my Pandora, it wouldn't look right, and it would drive me crazy.
-God Ginrai

Perfectionist = a bit OCD. I do understand, as so am I. I would not implement Tom's idea either. Perhaps if they didn't have the epoxy coating... but with it, this would be horrible. Even then, the centering would be off. It is interesting though how obsessive you are about this and cannot understand why no one else cares to the same degree, or simply cannot accept no one else cares. Also, the "fuck off" comment is highly defensive/over reactive.

Why not just remove the ones you don't want with a black permanent marker, or maybe black nail polish or something?
Because I'm a perfectionist to a certain degree. I could never take a black marker or nail polish to my Pandora, it wouldn't look right, and it would drive me crazy.
-God Ginrai

Perfectionist = a bit OCD. I do understand, as so am I. I would not implement Tom's idea either. Perhaps if they didn't have the epoxy coating... but with it, this would be horrible. Even then, the centering would be off. It is interesting though how obsessive you are about this and cannot understand why no one else cares to the same degree, or simply cannot accept no one else cares. Also, the "fuck off" comment is highly defensive/over reactive.
First of all, I will apologize about the "fuck off" comment I made. I let VRandy's first joke go by, because I figured he would have his fun with it and that would be that. But the second post where he just quoted and laughed. I'm sorry, but at that point, I consider that targeting someone, and I do not take kindly to anyone who targets someone.

And the reason I am so obsessive about the keyboard is because this is a game console, and Start, at least, has always been a dedicated button on a console. And while I have no problem with it having other mappings, I just feel like it's a travesty that the Start button should have labeling other than "Start". Once you add that to that the fact that I plan to remap Control and Alt anyways because I think that was a bad mapping, and that I don't want other people I might let use my Pandora getting confused by labels that essentially "lie", (which they would be doing on my system, because they would not perform Control and Alt) then it might be easier to see why I am so adamant about this.

-God Ginrai

First of all, I will apologize about the "fuck off" comment I made.
Don't apologize to me! 1) I totally deserved it. 2) It was funny, I laughed.
And the reason I am so obsessive about the keyboard is because this is a game console, and Start, at least, has always been a dedicated button on a console.
Here we have a device that is both a game console and a computer.
I just feel like it's a travesty that the Start button should have labeling other than "Start".
A Travesty! Haha!
How dare they dual label their dual purpose device! This makes a mockery of everything we hold sacred!
and Start, at least, has always been a dedicated button on a console.
Incidentally, what is the rhetoric about the sanctity of "Start" and "Select" about? Of course they're always single-purpose. All buttons on a game controller are only single-labeled with their single-purpose.
Unless you've got some wacko third person controller (Or a guitar controller) the "X" button is pretty much always labeled "X" and only "X". This is because a pure game console is only ever a game console. It doesn't transform into Computer mode.
Are you just saying that most games use [START] as a pause button? Because they don't all do that. For example, on PS3 [START] is often used as a shortcut for the "ENTER" key when entering text. I'm sure I could come up with other examples too.

I try my hardest to keep out of keyboard debates. But I've got a lot of free time right now so what the hell!

First of all, I will apologize about the "fuck off" comment I made. I let VRandy's first joke go by, because I figured he would have his fun with it and that would be that. But the second post where he just quoted and laughed. I'm sorry, but at that point, I consider that targeting someone, and I do not take kindly to anyone who targets someone.
To be fair, you're making yourself a pretty easy target here. We're all aware of your reasoning (you refuse to let up banging on about it) and regardless of how many times you press the point, most of us just don't agree with you. So to think that you could possibly find 100 people who are not only bothered about it, but bothered enough to pay for 10 new keymats EACH, is quite ridiculous.

As has been said by other people, most of your posts are well thought out and make you seem a reasonable person, but this unhealthy obsession with what is such a tiny detail really doesn't.

And the reason I am so obsessive about the keyboard is because this is a game console, and Start, at least, has always been a dedicated button on a console. And while I have no problem with it having other mappings, I just feel like it's a travesty...

See here we go again. We're all aware of your reasoning. And we still don't think it's warranted. And words such as 'travesty' really don't help your cause.

First of all, I will apologize about the "fuck off" comment I made.
Don't apologize to me! 1) I totally deserved it. 2) It was funny, I laughed.
And the reason I am so obsessive about the keyboard is because this is a game console, and Start, at least, has always been a dedicated button on a console.
Here we have a device that is both a game console and a computer.
I just feel like it's a travesty that the Start button should have labeling other than "Start".
A Travesty! Haha!
How dare they dual label their dual purpose device! This makes a mockery of everything we hold sacred!
and Start, at least, has always been a dedicated button on a console.
Incidentally, what is the rhetoric about the sanctity of "Start" and "Select" about? Of course they're always single-purpose. All buttons on a game controller are only single-labeled with their single-purpose.
Unless you've got some wacko third person controller (Or a guitar controller"] the "X" button is pretty much always labeled "X" and only "X". This is because a pure game console is only ever a game console. It doesn't transform into Computer mode.
Are you just saying that most games use [START] as a pause button? Because they don't all do that. For example, on PS3 [START] is often used as a shortcut for the "ENTER" key when entering text. I'm sure I could come up with other examples too.[/quote]I was actually more apologizing to everyone else. ;) Anyways, this system was originally a Game console, and so it is first and foremost, so the gaming parts should take the forefront. Also, you proved my point with your comments about the start button. The PS3 Start button doesn't say enter, but it still functions as that when entering text. That's why I'm saying that I'm fine with alternate mappings. I can change that. It's the labeling that bothers me.

Are you serious? This is the first time I've mentioned it on GP32X. On the OP temp forums, I only mentioned them often because BackAssward kept challenging me on it. (Not that I'm saying anything about BackAssward, just that I would obviously respond when someone is challenging my views)

-God Ginrai

Anyways, this system was originally a Game console, and so it is first and foremost, so the gaming parts should take the forefront.
:rolleyes:

I don't expect to get 1000. But if a couple of hundred people were to support my idea and were willing to pay extra, then we could go ahead and buy the 1000, could we not? It's all about if people are willing to spend more to have the keymat they want. I sure as hell am.
Actually, I think that people are offering to pay extra to have them removed on your pandora, not anyone else's. Money well spent, imo.

D.

Actually, I think that people are offering to pay extra to have them removed on your pandora, not anyone else's. Money well spent, imo.

D.
That joke has already been made, and you're not funny for repeating it.

-God Ginrai

It's amazing that you never hear people bitching about the keys on there mobile phones not being perfect for them. They just deal with it :rolleyes:
+1

It's QWERTY. You can remap keys to your heart's content. Be happy. :)

Besides, whats wrong with CTRL and ALT on what were originally gonna be the start/select keys? This isn't just a games console, its a fully fledged portable computer, and one of it's functions is gaming. As is gaming on the PC. One function out of many. Ever find start, select keys on a PC? :p

It's amazing that you never hear people bitching about the keys on there mobile phones not being perfect for them. They just deal with it :rolleyes:
+1
It's a travesty that the 9 key on my phone is labeled "WXYZ"! Sure, some people might need Z for text messaging, but I don't! First and foremost this thing is a phone. Proper, traditional phone labels omit the letters 'Z' and 'Q'.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I'm going to see if I can get Verizon to send me a new phone with the 9 key labeled "WXY" like a proper phone and not some impure text messaging device.

Besides, whats wrong with CTRL and ALT on what were originally gonna be the start/select keys? This isn't just a games console, its a fully fledged portable computer, and one of it's functions is gaming. As is gaming on the PC. One function out of many. Ever find start, select keys on a PC? :p
From ED's Blog post:

it should be a gaming console

+1
It's a travesty that the 9 key on my phone is labeled "WXYZ"! Sure, some people might need Z for text messaging, but I don't! First and foremost this thing is a phone. Proper, traditional phone labels omit the letters 'Z' and 'Q'.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I'm going to see if I can get Verizon to send me a new phone with the 9 key labeled "WXY" like a proper phone and not some impure text messaging device.
Actually, a normal phone IS labeled with PQRS on 7, and WXYZ on 9. It has always been that, otherwise 800 numbers wouldn't be standardized.

-God Ginrai

american antics :( phones should have 0 to 9 and no letters at all.

T65_Standaard_IDK_Grijs_B_small.jpg

Actually, a normal phone IS labeled with PQRS on 7, and WXYZ on 9. It has always been that, otherwise 800 numbers wouldn't be standardized.
Are you joking?!?
Now I know you're either a troll, or you're about twelve years old.

Only in the past decade have regular corded phones started showing up with Z and Q labels. It started with cel phones.

Even so those letters are not "official" for phone numbers, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to list your 1800 number with a Z or Q.

Are you joking?!?
Now I know you're either a troll, or you're about twelve years old.

Only in the past decade have regular corded phones started showing up with Z and Q labels. It started with cel phones.

Even so those letters are not "official" for phone numbers, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to list your 1800 number with a Z or Q.
I have a standard Bell phone that we've had for at least 15 years that I just checked. button 7 had PQRS and button 9 had WXYZ, and 0 had OPER.

-God Ginrai

This thread is silly and unnecessary. The Start and Select buttons are dual-labeled because they are dual-functioning. It is absurd not to label a button with the function it performs. Getting worked up over the keyboard layout is not rational behavior. If anybody is really that disturbed by button labels, then perhaps you should ask your physician if Anafranil is right for you.

Alternate, localized keymats may be made available at some point in the future. It is a possibility that we are still considering, but there are many more pressing issues that must be taken care of first. This is one of the things we will devote more time to after the Pandora ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back