Current statistics and some predictions

Ah okay, understood. But why re-starting the Pandora production? As I read, a lot of people will not buy a Pyra because they have a Pandora and for them, that's enough. I don't know, if there are a lot of people, who wants a pandora and a pyra, aren't there? I think, that it hasn't more benefits than the Pandora (if you still have one) to spend again so much money for a new better one.

Bailing out a competitor is mostly unheard of in the capitalised world. Major hardware vendors wouldn't care to do that, but I can see how making the Pandora situation right does help the overall market for niche hardware, so that more people will trust the Pyra to be a success in the long term.

Aiding a failing project is *totally* opposed to Silicon Valley ambition, whereby if a product or service doesn't see sufficient growth, it is dropped without apology to its users. Taking people's money and then letting them down, must seem more profitable to them than doing the right thing.

Last edited:
Times are changing, but not everyone wants that change.

of course. Nobody in the world would say something else. But most of the people are going with the time and not against it.

Also, Windows 8 started to open everything like PDFs, etc. in fullscreen. It's a desktop PC, why couldn't it use proper windows as before?

Nobody really likes windows 8. It was a mistake, also MS said it and fired the manager, who was responsible for the change. Everyone is doing mistakes, Microsoft is not perfect.

Computing devices don't always improve overtime, they also degrade. They are made for a mass market now, but devices for users outside that market are mostly being ignored, they are rare.

That's the point: They are rare. During the Pandora era, I guess, there would be more people interested in the Pyra. Now, where mobile gaming is really more established in the public and not something uncommon, people are satisfied with the solution, that are mainly on the market. That's how I see, maybe other see it not as me.

But still, on a worldwide scale, those small user groups are large enough for these devices to exist.

Let's see :) Pyra will show that ;)

of course. Nobody in the world would say something else. But most of the people are going with the time and not against it.

Yes. And most people are not the relevant Pyra customers, that was clear from the beginning :)

I tend to go with SOME changes. Of course, I love how mobile devices get faster every day - but in the same time, features I always loved to have (taskbar, windows, etc.) and would still like to have are being removed.

Mobile devices these days are as fast as desktop PCs 8 years ago, still most of them use fullscreen-OSes, even though the power to use them as desktop system would be there.

So yes, I love new technology and I hate how little of it is being used in the devices.

That's the point: They are rare. During the Pandora era, I guess, there would be more people interested in the Pyra. Now, where mobile gaming is really more established in the public and not something uncommon, people are satisfied with the solution, that are mainly on the market. That's how I see, maybe other see it not as me.

If you see the Pyra as gaming device: Yes, it's too expensive and there are better alternatives out there.
That's the huge difference: The Pyra is NOT a gaming device, it's a hacker-friendly miniPC that offers a lot of gaming as well.

We all like to play, but it's impossible to work with devices like a GPD XD or Smartphone.
The Pyra can do that. You only need to take ONE device with you that can be used to work, hack, code and play games.

For now I'm rather optimistic, 'til ED posts pictures from his newly purchased island or something. :)
Maybe he will name the island in honor of the Pyra.
There were only the GP2x F100/F200 (i don't remember exactly), the Wiz and the PSP for alternatives.
Back then I was mostly content with what I was doing with my DS (I figure if the PSP deserves recognition...). Back then I wasn't willing to risk my money on preordering the Pandora. I know there is still a chance everything could go wrong, but due to how ED handles things I have more confidence this time around.

Even with the way things have happened over the years, I don't feel any of the options quite fit my needs. The only reason I bother with smartphones is they are plentiful and cheap. If a (Linux) laptop that could handle modern webpages and how I browse was small enough to be carried with me and available I would go with that, and carry something a little more dumb with it. The palmtop market is rather lacking atm, and the Pyra has been created for reasons I agree with and has a great community, so I am willing to pay a little more than other devices that are coming soon (and may or may not have a usable keyboard). If I can use it for messaging and calls, that is a massive bonus.

We all like to play, but it's impossible to work with devices like a GPD XD or Smartphone.
The Pyra can do that. You only need to take ONE device with you that can be used to work, hack, code and play games.
This exactly how these things work for me. The Pyra will have built in game controls, which already makes it better than most smartphones, but the gaming is a secondary concern to me. I can do smartphone stuff with the Pyra, but I can't do Pyra stuff with a smartphone. My choices are to go with a palmtop or a laptop, and I prefer not to carry a bag.

It was interesting seeing what "computer tasks" I could do with my Pandora over the last couple years instead of lugging a laptop around, however web browsing (one of my most common tasks) is mediocre for several reasons. The hardware in the Pyra will fix that, and it will give me more to work with for everything else I do. I am looking forward to the next year, and I suspect the Pyra will get more attention (or GPD will have listened to their customers regarding keyboards, and fixed that for the next version of their possibly cheaper disposable device).

DragonBox Pyra, the Swiss army handheld !

A kludge preview of the attached CSS animation (best viewed with the right font).

pyranim.gif

Attachments

• pyranim.7z
    1.3 KB · Views: 292
Nice. Not sure about the way 'more' slides up then is apparently dismissed. Maybe if 'hack & more' slid up as the last option, then and it took the 'a' from it, it might be less worrying.

But now I look at it again, 'SURF' is also dismissed in this same way. How about this; a fast kind of scrolltext, with slow motion effects as the words pass individually. As the words 'PLAY', 'WORK' and 'HACK' pass the appropriate letters pop out and move to their appropriate spots. At the end this moves towards the centre and grows in size; perhaps also 'dragonbox' could scroll past into position. That way as many other messages as you want could scroll past and still be part of the message, as they'd still theoretically be on the scrolltext, just to the far left of your screen. Dunno how feasible any of that is in CSS though.

Playful Ydea, Real Action.
Perhaps You R Awesome
Polished Yummy Robust Accomplish
Proud Yellow-eyed-pinguin Restored Admired
Plethora Yaps Resolution Array
Ponder Yes Runtime Analogue
Paper Yoke Rock Anorak (Rock Paper Stylus)

Last edited:
Statistics page shows enough Pyra's sold now?? Reached 771.
So considering slow progress on sales the first batch will consist of a 1000 Pyra's?

Back