Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think GamePark had the right idea when they were to release two models. A highend, high-tech costly XGP and a small, fit-easily-in-your-pocket, low-tech and cheap XGP mini.

I see this as the XGP done right. (Remember the video of XGP playing Quake3 smoothly)

I'd pay $300 for this if the specs are right and $150 for a mini style console with similar specs to the gp2x on a 2.5 inch screen. (Yeah, I know the GBA Micro failed) :(

TelcoLou said:
jmetal88 said:
Have you guys stopped to think that it might not be a built-in keyboard at all? The GP32 could take a modded Chatboard, for instance.
No WAY! :eek: You lie!!!

I only speculate. It could also be slide out, or built on to the bottom. I personally would prefer something that plugs in or clips on, as I wouldn't need a keyboard all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
I think GamePark had the right idea when they were to release two models. A highend, high-tech costly XGP and a small, fit-easily-in-your-pocket, low-tech and cheap XGP mini.

I see this as the XGP done right. (Remember the video of XGP playing Quake3 smoothly)

I'd pay $300 for this if the specs are right and $150 for a mini style console with similar specs to the gp2x on a 2.5 inch screen. (Yeah, I know the GBA Micro failed) :(
maybe it is the xgp coming out?

predatorramboxxx said:
icurafu said:

that would be jokes :p

n8archer_XI said:
sam fisher said:
Well I expect this thing will be around £200. And from the sounds of it Craigs gonna be producing it so it means all you US people will have to play $400+ :p

:blink: :ph34r:

I could just go buy an XB360 or a dirt cheap laptop...
You`ll have a hard time putting though`s in a pocket. :rolleyes:

Btw, Us people this side of the pond are used to paying through the nose (Top dollar) for electronic item`s over here, As we don`t have the privellige of cheap prices like a lot of other counties, even for imports, Because our government and customs slap a nice big juicy charge on top called VAT and import charges. :angry:

Trooper

jmetal88 said:
TelcoLou said:
jmetal88 said:
Have you guys stopped to think that it might not be a built-in keyboard at all? The GP32 could take a modded Chatboard, for instance.
No WAY! :eek: You lie!!!

I only speculate. It could also be slide out, or built on to the bottom. I personally would prefer something that plugs in or clips on, as I wouldn't need a keyboard all the time.

Well, Since this new handheld will have a touch screen, why not have just an on screen keyboard. It could slide up maybe taking up 1/2 of the screen and be there only when you need it, you should also be able to hide it. Kinda like the iPhone keyboard but better.

icurafu said:
They said it wouldn't cost much more than the GP2x. I think it'll be less than $250.
predatorramboxxx said:
Nope, GP went bankrupt. It's been said that even GPH isn't making it. This new company doesn't seem to be in any way affiliated with GP. Although the supposed backwards capability with the GP2x does seem kinda odd...

-fma

fmaanimefreak said:
Nope, GP went bankrupt. It's been said that even GPH isn't making it. This new company doesn't seem to be in any way affiliated with GP. Although the supposed backwards capability with the GP2x does seem kinda odd...

-fma
I wouldn't have thought it so odd... its not as if the GP2X runs completely custom hardware... for backwards compatibility surely it only needs to be an ARM device running linux (not counting apps that use gp2x specific hacks)?

Like saying that it's strange that a Dell PC is compatible with an HP PC...

Unless I'm missing something here?

Yes, it is compatible 'enough' as in things should recompile and run. I should think on launch most of the top apps will be running fine along with some new stuff, from oh, i dunno, zodttd?

craigix said:
Yes, it is compatible 'enough' as in things should recompile and run. I should think on launch most of the top apps will be running fine along with some new stuff, from oh, i dunno, zodttd?

Haha, and thus the secrets go deeper into the dev community than we knew before :D :ph34r:

Yes, true. I always forget that the GP2x is like that. I guess it's just because I've becomed too accustomed with the idea that all the other console makers have (very proprietary, only works on their company's stuff) that this new handheld being backwards compatible with the GP2x seems as wierd/cool as a Wii being compatible with PS2 games.

So no, you're not missing something, apparently I was. :)

I have a suggestion that could really kick ass B)

Do you know Kaillera? It's a library that makes possible to play multiplayer emulators via internet.

Wouldn't be a good idea to add official support to the GP3X, so this way is easy to developers to add support for their emus and homebrew games?

Kaillera isn't still open source (they say it will) but if it's not possible, we can code a new one:

-A server, on, i.e gpillera.gp32x.de (it's an example!!!)
-A user of the GP3X, run his favourite emu and "touch" :p on "GPILLERA NETPLAY"
-It shows a list of "rooms" Each room is for each ROM of the emu (instead of comparing by name, compare them by CRC) In a room there is a list of players awaiting his turn to play.
-You can open a new room by selecting a ROM on your SD
-If you start a conection on a room with a ROM that you don't have, other person on this room will send it to you automatically...perhaps in a p2p way, ALL the people on the room send it
-Opponent selected, start the game! Local player vs wifi player COOL

I hope I've explained it well. I think it's a GREAT WONDERFUL idea, but it needs development.

I don't know anything about networking code. Can try, but can't promise anything.

Craigix if you like the idea, please keep on contact with me

OFFTOPIC: what's are the requeriments for having a GP2X developer logo at the left? I'm the autor of the ports of smsplus2x, fbgrab2x, did a little GP2X skin previewer app for windows/linux, and a few skins. Also started developing a Castlevania-like game and now I'm also working on a 3D engine that runs on gpu940.
Not as big and wonderful as others, like squidge, notaz or zodttd but still a developer. I feel marginated :(

Oh yeah, Craigix, i asked before, but is there maybe a built in microphone or an easy way to add one to the device, because I would be *very* interested in developing some music apps for it when it's out :)

EDIT: efegea, that's a cool idea- something equivalent to Xbox Live could be created- a central hub showing the users and what games they're playing (and if there is a package management system, have it download the game if you don't already have it- i'm talking regular games here, not roms)

n8archer_XI said:
sam fisher said:
Well I expect this thing will be around £200. And from the sounds of it Craigs gonna be producing it so it means all you US people will have to play $400+ :p

:blink: :ph34r:

I could just go buy an XB360 or a dirt cheap laptop...
I dont know what currency we are talking about, but if it sells for $250eur then it will be about $340us. I cant see spending much more then that on a hand held, and at $340us that hand held has to be sexy, I'm talking a brushed aluminium and chrome. One more thing $340us for the "gp3x" is more then a littlethen gp2x.

I'd like to see a audio line in, don't wona see just a built-in mic because they sound like crap , I'd rather just plug in a small low profile mic for games, and then I could plug a nice mic in for recording samples, or a mixer for looping. One could then write a 4,3, or 2 track recording program, musician would love it,

lawndart said:
I'd like to see a audio line in, don't wona see a built-in mic because they sound like crap , and I'd rather just plug in a small low profile mic for games, and then I could plug a nice mic in for recording, or a mixer for looping.
internal mic is great for voip. If you can set it up to only have one mic on, and the volume really low, you can amaze your friends by looking like an ngage fool. :D

lawndart said:
I'd like to see a audio line in, don't wona see a built-in mic because they sound like crap , and I'd rather just plug in a small low profile mic for games, and then I could plug a nice mic in for recording samples and what not, or a mixer for looping. One could then write a 4,3, or 2 track recording program, musician would love it,
New Handheld + my Sure Beta 58a + Preamp = portable digital recorder... :)

rokdcasbah said:
Goobers said:
New Handheld + my Sure Beta 58a +sweet 9v battery-powered portable preamp = portable digital recorder... :)

It be kinda like this but affordable,
It has a 500mhz fanless cpu and 256 ram, and runs Linux 2.6.21.
Maybe with some work the "gp3x" could do many of the same thing in a much small form. The software would if it was nice and slick.

http://trinityaudiogroup.com/

I'd really like 2in phono plug but I know that just asking for to much, all so i dont care for touch screens, they tend to look ugly after a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back