Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm stupid or something, but I'm SO confused. :eek:

Will it have a touchscreen or a Slide-out keyboard, or both?

Surely a touchscreen is better for portability and possibility... :)

cowai said:
Maybe I'm stupid or something, but I'm SO confused.

Will it have a touchscreen, or a Slideout keyboard, or both?

Surely a touchscreen is better for portability and possibility...
no keyboard as I read the posts, a touchscreen is a maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not say that. Can you even read german? :) It say that it is not from GPH so it is not a successor. It will have touchscreen and wifi. Doesn't indicate having an touchscreen keyboard.

EvilDragon will continue to support the GP2X for people who already own it and because it is cheaper.

There were strong indications that it will have an keyboard builtin. Reference was made the the Amiga and C64.

EDITed because I have misunderstood.

Won't a touchscreen indicate an on-screen one? I mean whats deal about having both a touchscreen and a slide-out?

And yeah I can read a little german, lol. I take german classes in school, but sucks horribly :p

cowai said:
Won't a touchscreen indicate an on-screen one? I mean whats deal about having both a touchscreen and a slide-out?

And yeah I can read a little german, lol. I take german classes in school, but sucks horribly :p
I'm sure you're better than me. I think it will have both. Touchscreen is good for stylus/mouse emulation/PDA type activities.

Keyboard is better for typing stuff directly, without software support.

Hmmm.. smudgy touchscreen keyboard.. :p
Might be an idea to ship the console w/ gloves :)

quartercast said:
Hmmm.. smudgy touchscreen keyboard.. :p
Might be an idea to ship the console w/ gloves :)
powerglove.jpg

It has keyboard and touchscreen. I think it was clear enough from our earlier posts.

Answers for some comments;
1 - This is not a game console but has superior gaming controls.
2 - This is something you can carry in your pocket.
3 - This is not a second hand laptop.
4 - Your laptop battery would last in 2 - 2,5 hrs only.

People used to compare PSP vs GP2X, now i think they will compare this with some laptop configuration. We made a good progress... ;)

You should send a prototype or something to the "biggest" devs, like ZODttd... Then we will have fullspeed PSX when the thing comes out...

Oh, this gets me so excited!

*Waiting for pre-ordering*

Sounds like something SIMILAR to a Sharp Zaurus but slightly more game-oriented :)

Edit: Hmm, even has similar specs, my ex SL-C 860, had keyboard, touchscreen ( bad gaming controls though ), SDIO, CF, 128 MB ram...

Does this machine fold ( clamshell design )?
is the keyboard a clip-on?
Does it slide out?

Mewanna know :lol:

I think an open source gaming device with a good screen, wifi, bitchin 3d graphics, proper marketing and a few good titles from a major gaming labels or two will be more than enough to get people's attention.

Zodiac? Gizmondo? We know where both of those have gone...

Lets just drop the "few good titles from a major gaming labels or two" shall we? ;)

Squidge said:

I think an open source gaming device with a good screen, wifi, bitchin 3d graphics, proper marketing and a few good titles from a major gaming labels or two will be more than enough to get people's attention.

Lets just drop the "few good titles from a major gaming labels or two" shall we? ;)

the zodiac ruled :]

GunPei2X said:
And in the same way I still use my GBA sometimes, I dare say I would continue to use my GP2X for those games/functions that suit it better, AA's, screen res fit, etc. Nothing will stop it remaining a nifty machine.
Yes, even though I'll definitely be buying the new device, I'll still keep my GP2X if for nothing else than the fact it runs on AA batteries and is a very comfortable form factor for QVGA-res games.

b_o_b said:
If this also has a permanent clock this would finish the greatness of the device.
Oh my, consider this a wish from me as well - the though never even occurred to me the device might NOT have a RTC. But now it's been mentioned, please do include a RTC if it's not already there. :)

b_o_b said:
Dzz said:
I'm not really sure what this new thing is. It does seem to have grown beyond pocket size because of the keyboard and large screen.
I'm not so sure about that. Think about the latest generation of Pocket PC phones - they have full VGA screens (640x480) and springloaded keyboards without being bulky (compared to a PDA phone with only a touchscreen).

I think this should be marketed as a gaming device and nothing else. Every idiot can think of all the other things you can do with it, but it should be advertised as a the new gp2x. Why does it have wifi - for online gaming. Why does it have a touch screen - for mouse emulation for Atari ST / Commodore Amiga. Game pad + 3d well.. that's obvious.

Agreed, in my mind this is primarily a device to be used for gaming and emulation. Secondary, a media player. Thirdly, an ultraportable Linux device with many possibilites. But while WiFi and touchscreen may be nice for general networking (and WLAN troubleshooting) and X-Windows, I value those features primarily because they can enable wireless multiplayer gaming (and emulation) and smooth mouse emulation (though I wouldn't even consider using the touchscreen with anything but a stylus - fingers are a no-no).

Eolair said:
Keyboard... are you making a handheld computer or a handheld gaming device? And can you fit a keyboard into it without turning it into a big brick? Why not make the keyboard an add-on for those who really want it...
I think most users will want it for these reasons (most users in this community are developers, retrogamers and/or Linux geeks):
GunPei2X said:
Keyboard would be brilliant for:

Spectrum/Amstrad/c64/ST/Amiga/etc emulation.
Adventure Games (Text, Sierra).
E-mail & web browsing.
Other PDA functions (for me, proper writing on the go).
Coding debug & Linux command line.
Online gaming chat?
mfk said:
But we are trying to make a device which has a standard hardware for all. Think about C64 or Amiga. They are the same C64 or Amiga for all people. It makes it easier to develop something for a standard hardware. It will make the development more hassle free because the devs will know what kind of hardware you own in your hand. Otherwise we should have to port, for example, tens of USB Wi-Fi drivers to make sure everyone can use it.
And speaking of C64 and Amiga, what's happening here is really what attracted me to the GP2X scene in the first place. I spent the better part of a year monitoring the progress of the GP2X before deciding on it. What I saw was the potential for this community to make either the GP2X or a successor into a handheld "spiritual successor" of the Amiga, where an already awesome piece of hardware is pushed to it's absolute limits and beyond by skilled and enthusiastic users. The GP2X has so far been proven to have far more potential than I thought at first (I'd never have thought PSX emulation would even reach 1 fps on such a "slow" device) and given what we "know" so far about the new "community-driven" device it'll be more than capable of fullspeed PSX which is pretty much the most modern (as in 3D) unit I'd want to emulate anyway (fullspeed Amiga 1200 and a properly performing DOSbox would be nice, too, and seems to be possible given the hints we've seen so far about the power of this unit). I don't want or need N64 emulation and I don't expect that to ever be achieved in a handheld, but I love the idea of having a gaming device that can double as a tiny Linux workstation (even server) or PDA.

cowai said:
I mean whats deal about having both a touchscreen and a slide-out?
Touchscreen is great for mouse emulation through a stylus, good for ScummVM and Tilematch for example, and if I can choose between an onscreen keyboard and a slideout physical keyboard, I'll take the slideout keyboard any day even if it might add a little bit of bulk and weight to the unit (but seeing how modern PDA phones handle this, I don't think it'll add much bulk at all).

I don´t see an easy future for this project.

Do you have enough money supporters? You will need them.

199 € should be the top price, but i don´t think than a device with all that extras will cost less than 300 €.And 300 is too much for only get better PSX and a N64 emulator.

Squidge said:

Can someone confirm that it really will have "bitchen 3d graphics" rather then the standard issue OpenGL ES chipset that has been offered by MES for several years now? Unless ofcourse we are saying that it is bitching that 3D acceleration is included in a handheld console, and to that I would agree.

craigix said:
Yes we have some software from the GP2X running and yes the system will still run Linux.
I hoped so strongly that you will drop LiNUX. Don't get me wrong. I use LiNUx since years and I am quite familiar with it. But the long booting time of the GP2X sucks. I hope that at least some kind of stand-by is included. I recon that using LiNUX and maybe SDL makes it a lot easier to port GP2X software, but the boot time...

craigix said:
We are enjoying reading your thoughts so keep them coming :)
You want'em, you get 'em :)

Rivroner said:
I don´t see an easy future for this project.

Do you have enough money supporters? You will need them.

199 € should be the top price, but i don´t think than a device with all that extras will cost less than 300 €.And 300 is too much for only get better PSX and a N64 emulator.
Dont see this project like a simple emu handheld ... but open your vision with all other possibility:
Plug external hard drive:
-read your movies directly on TV without a big computer
-listen all your audio files without big computer or big TV to browse HDD

Connect the device on internet by wifi and:
-listen webradio without a big computer
-download directly all new program on this device without big computer need

GP2X can do lot of thing but here, it open more media access ;)

It's more a fusion from handheld/PDA/PMP ...
Just look on internet today there's no PMP with these features under 300$

B)

DaveC said:
This was basically in response to the post that said it should have a keyboard. No, I wouldn't prefer vertical resolution of 320 I would prefer a control layout such as the GP2X but instead of the volume buttons there would be two regular ones there. Then you could flip and play those full size with comfortable controls. If it has a keyboard then you can't do that as the keyboard is in the way forcing you to play the system always in the horizontal orientation. When you do this you have a narrow vertical image of 320-ish pixels high that you have to stretch to 480 (well I suppose you don't HAVE to stretch it but then you would have an image that is like 1" across). I guess these games are no big deal to most here, so nevermind.
Why are you assuming the gaming controls are on a keyboard? What we've been told is it has good gaming controls and a keyboard, not where they are positioned or that you must use the keyboard when playing games. There are plenty of phones that are slide or clamshell but still have a dpad and buttons that are usable when shut, so why can't you use some imagination and stop being negative about something you haven't even seen yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back