Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slide keyboard isn't really an obligation.
A well programmed onscreen could be cool (ie uae2x with touch screen)
Add on keyboard is quite nice too I presume.

I think that I know what it is. I know where there is a picture, but I'm afraid a mod will delete it. I saw that Dzz posted link and that link was removed. Was that really it, Craigix? :blink:

I still have my Ericsson chatboard. As nice as it was for functionality, it kinda dangles off the GP32 and isn't very convenient (have to prop up the gp32 carefully to use the darn thing).

Add-on USB keyboards would detract from the portable-ness of it ... so yes. We need a keyboard of some kind built in ;)

OMars said:
I think that I know what it is. I know where there is a picture, but I'm afraid a mod will delete it. I saw that Dzz posted link and that link was removed. Was that really it, Craigix? :blink:
The only link I posted was to a rumored Nokia N900, which supposedly adds a slide-out keyboard to their UMPC design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dzz said:
OMars said:
The only link I posted was to a rumored Nokia N900, which supposedly adds a slide-out keyboard to their UMPC design.

Well, we're not sure who is going to produce the new console, so there is a chance.

EDIT: and the nseries has a linux OS

OMars said:
Dzz said:
OMars said:

Well, we're not sure who is going to produce the new console, so there is a chance.

EDIT: and the nseries has a linux OS

wow a keyboard would be great...for example it would be so much easier to type then using the virtual keyboard like in amiga and atari st emulators
quake 3 on this would be awesome and then using it with wifi for online dm and there is already a linux port :ph34r:

DaveC said:
jmetal88 said:
DaveC said:
That is just it, you can't do integer scaling and centered. It will have to be fractionally scaled (320 doesn't go into 480 evenly you know) plus the image will be like 1.5" across. Not too great.
Don't be stupid Dave, you're trying to fit the 320 horizontal resolution into the 480 vertical resolution, which the 240 vertical resolution should be fit to. Perfect doubling.

I was talking for vertical games such as Donpachi, Ms.Pacman etc. With those which are 320 high or close to it you do have to stretch to 480.

You can't do that on a 320x240 display either, you'd have to rotate it either way.

Keyboard would be brilliant for:

Spectrum/Amstrad/c64/ST/Amiga/etc emulation.
Adventure Games (Text, Sierra).
E-mail & web browsing.
Other PDA functions (for me, proper writing on the go).
Coding debug & Linux command line.
Online gaming chat?

I had a GP32 chatboard and while it was brilliant, two things hampered it: as TelcoLou said, it "dangles", and not many programs implemented it because not many people had it. Both of these issues are solved by having it built in. To be honest, before I read about the keyboard being included, I wasn't all that interested. Now, I am VERY keen.

ooo, let's not forget ... programming in TI-99/4A BASIC on the go!! :lol:

Some need keyboard, some don't... some need wi-fi, some don't...

But we are trying to make a device which has a standard hardware for all. Think about C64 or Amiga. They are the same C64 or Amiga for all people. It makes it easier to develop something for a standard hardware. It will make the development more hassle free because the devs will know what kind of hardware you own in your hand. Otherwise we should have to port, for example, tens of USB Wi-Fi drivers to make sure everyone can use it.

mfk said:

But we are trying to make a device which has a standard hardware for all. Think about C64 or Amiga. They are the same C64 or Amiga for all people. It makes it easier to develop something for a standard hardware. It will make the development more hassle free because the devs will know what kind of hardware you own in your hand. Otherwise we should have to port, for example, tens of USB Wi-Fi drivers to make sure everyone can use it.
They both had keybords! :eek:

TelcoLou said:
mfk said:

Your not serious, Are you ?.

Amiga 500

Commodore 64

Trooper

mfk said:
Why is people asking for single core CPU? There are many advantages of using dual core. Yes it's harder to code for it but performance is better when it's used properly.

On screen keyboard? We won't need that actually.
I can't speak for all emulators, but the emulators I ported via gp2xmess can in no way leverage a separate processor which was a shame. The latest versions of MAME/MESS do support multithreading however but I doubt the latest versions (esp w/ the new rendering system) could run on *any* handheld. I'd rather see 1 fast one than 2 personally. Performance can be better but at a cost of complexity (locking, breaking out functionality into functional groups to put in threads, etc).

~telengard

trooper said:
TelcoLou said:
mfk said:

Your not serious, Are you ?.

Amiga 500

Commodore 64

Trooper

Yes, I'm serious ... and you graciously supported my comment (thank you very much, BTW).

They both had keyboards.

It's somewhat disappointing playing emus like foft's GREAT Atari800/5200/etc without a keyboard.

My unsolicited opinion on some of the debated points:

I'm not against per se against a full keyboard, but if I wanted a device with a full keyboard, internet browsing and email, chat, widescreen format for movies, I'd use my thin & light laptop which will always be far superior in every one of those respects.

The whole point of a GP2X-like device is that it fits in your pocket and is self-contained. My laptop can run perfect emulators, and it's really not that difficult to take out and plug in a USB controller, but I basically never use it to play emulators--whereas I play my gp2x on the couch or in bed at home all the time.

If the designers feel the need to accommodate requests for a keyboard or touchscreen (things I don't see myself using much), that's fine, I just hope the device stays small enough to fit in my pocket and I don't need to plug anything in to enjoy shows/movies and games in my PALM (not my LAP).

Goobers said:
aren't those the ones that you flip the handheld for??
Dzz said:
"I was talking for vertical games such as Donpachi, Ms.Pacman etc. With those which are 320 high or close to it you do have to stretch to 480."

So what vertical screen resolution would you prefer? 320?
This was basically in response to the post that said it should have a keyboard. No, I wouldn't prefer vertical resolution of 320 I would prefer a control layout such as the GP2X but instead of the volume buttons there would be two regular ones there. Then you could flip and play those full size with comfortable controls. If it has a keyboard then you can't do that as the keyboard is in the way forcing you to play the system always in the horizontal orientation. When you do this you have a narrow vertical image of 320-ish pixels high that you have to stretch to 480 (well I suppose you don't HAVE to stretch it but then you would have an image that is like 1" across). I guess these games are no big deal to most here, so nevermind.

jmetal88 said:
Have you guys stopped to think that it might not be a built-in keyboard at all? The GP32 could take a modded Chatboard, for instance.
No WAY! :eek: You lie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back