Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have thought a keyboard would add a lot of cost and bulk of this - a touch screen with a 640x480 screen (or similar res) would do surely.
I get the impression this isn't for release this year (as implied earlier?) then from some of the comments from those 'in the know'.

Mic input would be great - there's some open-source guitar effects software and maybe could use the wifi to transmit... possible not that last bit - too much data latency.

Creature XL said:
I hoped so strongly that you will drop LiNUX. Don't get me wrong. I use LiNUx since years and I am quite familiar with it. But the long booting time of the GP2X sucks. I hope that at least some kind of stand-by is included. I recon that using LiNUX and maybe SDL makes it a lot easier to port GP2X software, but the boot time...
You want to drop linux because of the boot time - words fail me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I wouldn't buy it if it didn't have Linux :D

I'm really interested in the shape, so I'll ask again... Is it a clamshell design?, is the keyboard an add-on?, does the keyboard slide out?

Oh, one more thing, how much will it weigh more or less?.

Yes, I'm curious :lol:

X-Code said:

I'm really interested in the shape, so I'll ask again... Is it a clamshell design?, is the keyboard an add-on?, does the keyboard slide out?

Craigx was saying that the battery is not finalised. This will make a great difference in weight. I think it is better to specify what weight you would be satisfied with as feedback that may infulance the final design.

X-Code said:

something crossed my mine when the other people said they where going to make their own gp3x everyone told them they need donors and supporters and loans and partners etc... and that it would never work... so how is this going to work

The Zaurus was reasonably heavy at 278 grs. , so anything lighter would be great :) , but I could live with a weight of up to 300 grs. if the machine is incredible... The PSP for example ways 260 grs.

predatorramboxxx said:
something crossed my mine when the other people said they where going to make their own gp3x everyone told them they need donors and supporters and loans and partners etc... and that it would never work... so how is this going to work
They either have the financial backup, or are playing some evil game with all of us :lol:

Looking at the 40+ (atm) pages of replies this thread already has, and inevitably would have, it's done a good localised job of stirring up interest but there's a sort of contradictory thing going on as well that seems a bit odd to me.

Feedback/input from the community has been mentioned periodically, as has this new device appealing to a wider audience of plug-n-play types. Are the 2 things not at odds with each other ?

No insult intended as I'm including myself in this as a (very small and quiet) part of our community but can we consider ourselves as representing what "normal" types would want from such a device ?

The spec sounds interesting but if it's going to depend on downloading games on your home computer and then transferring them to removeable media and so on (that was just the example that sprang to mind), is it not going to end up just being of appeal to the same market who bought the 2X ?

Obviously that won't affect us who bought the 2X because it would appeal to us, i'm just thinking in a broader sense about the direction the new device is being pitched towards. Is it not in danger of being neither one thing or another certainly from a marketing point of view ?

Creature XL said:
I hoped so strongly that you will drop LiNUX. Don't get me wrong. I use LiNUx since years and I am quite familiar with it. But the long booting time of the GP2X sucks. I hope that at least some kind of stand-by is included. I recon that using LiNUX and maybe SDL makes it a lot easier to port GP2X software, but the boot time...
That's not Linux, that's the crappy Linux the gp2x has.
I have Open2x on my gp2x, and while it's still in alpha stage, it boots about as fast as my PSP or the NDS (about 5 - 6 seconds from switching it on).

Last edited:
honestly, people should stop their whining. I think this thing will be amazing. This is actually going to fullfill my dreams of a truely portable computer design for geeks... gaming controls, linux, 3d and 2d accel, keyboard, wifi, touchscreen, sdhc... this will be a device never seen before. I have searched and searched but all I found was ridiculously expensive pdas that were not really usable for playing games, had no community at all or some of those new oqo like handheld computers I could not afford which ran windows xp.

The gp2x was to me as close as you could get but the support from gph was more than disappointing. This is going to be rad! C'mon guys, let's party!!! Holy crap... how often have you dreamt about a device like this when you were little?

I am going to sit on the train, write a few notes to myself, then play some gba or snes, afterwards I will try to connect to a wifi network somewhere and update my gp32x.de rss feeds.

+1 for the kaillera-like support.
It would be awesome to have dedicated servers to multiplayer games between people in the community :)

For the keyboard... Anything more usefull than a virtual keyboard used with the joystick will do the job for me.

Creature XL said:
Yeah, lets drop Linux and it's 8 second boot time, and replace it with Windows CE, which has a 2 minute boot time on both my PDA and Phone.

Squidge said:
Creature XL said:
Yeah, lets drop Linux and it's 8 second boot time, and replace it with Windows CE, which has a 2 minute boot time on both my PDA and Phone.

LOL!
Yeah...but Win CE is so pretty.

TheMinder said:
Feedback/input from the community has been mentioned periodically, as has this new device appealing to a wider audience of plug-n-play types. Are the 2 things not at odds with each other ?

Craigix has said that the device will have a one-click install system (think Synaptic, I guess) but that it will be completely up to the user whether or not he wants to use it.

I would tend to think of this as a similar approach as the one Apple has taken since the introduction of Mac OS X. Yes, it can still be a dumbed-down foolproof system if you want it to be that way (like the old Mac OS generations were) but if you're a technical user it's a very powerful and stylish BSD system with a very smooth and nice-looking GUI, and a novice user can start out simple and become more advanced without having to install a new operating system and have to start learning the basics all over again.

So along those lines, this new device will hopefully be a system that can be a simple plug-n-play handheld games console or media player if that's what you want it to be, or a multitalented pocketsized Linux workstation/server or perhaps the central unit of a MAME cabinet or home entertainment center if that's your cup of tea. Basically from what we've heard so far from Craig and the others, it'll be a system that can grow with you, so even if you originally buy it as a gaming device, you'll inevitably start discovering it's many possibilities and be motivated to gain the knowledge required to operate it at a more advanced level.

xnopasaranx said:
This is actually going to fullfill my dreams of a truely portable computer design for geeks... gaming controls, linux, 3d and 2d accel, keyboard, wifi, touchscreen, sdhc... this will be a device never seen before.

The gp2x was to me as close as you could get but the support from gph was more than disappointing. This is going to be rad! C'mon guys, let's party!!! Holy crap... how often have you dreamt about a device like this when you were little?

Basically ever since I got my first Amiga 500... (okay so Linux didn't exist at the time, but Amiga was still POSIX-based to some extent and was my first introduction to a somewhat Unix-like system). I also felt that the GP2X was as close as I could get at the time I bought it, and going into it with full knowledge of it's flaws I feel I haven't been let down by it yet, but by all means if there's a better machine around the corner I'll have that one as well!

If this all comes true, the device would (or should) basically be every tech geek's ultimate dream machine. Yeah I'm excited. :eek:

Anyone ever booted a nokia e65? I think my Gp2x might even beat it...

Anyway re: community, we just set up a new site for the new console, but while all the newbies/other important though completely different customers use that for complaining sorting out their issues - we continue to use this site, under the guise of an obscure korean handheld. We'll even refer to it by the codename "GP3x". No-one will ever know...

I would like to know just how this is all funded/ more details - just so we know we're not getting excited about vapourware... I know developing a console is probably within the scope of one man with a loan and the right contacts - but actually producing it in quantity? I know GPH are ninnies but they have actually produced a real device, proving that they know at least that much...

On the other hand, they are ninnies at times, whereas the people we know who are involved with this are fairly far from it (most of the time). And surely those who aren't ninnies should be able to do at least what the ninnies can!

cappuchok said:
Craigix has said that the device will have a one-click install system (think Synaptic, I guess) but that it will be completely up to the user whether or not he wants to use it.
I really can't imagine who wouldn't want to use such a system, there is no advantage to doing it 'by hand' unless you are so unskilled you need to, to feel good about yourself ;).

realy i think that 199 is the top price that the people is ready to pay
for more... i don't pay more

Orkie said:
cappuchok said:
I really can't imagine who wouldn't want to use such a system, there is no advantage to doing it 'by hand' unless you are so unskilled you need to, to feel good about yourself ;).

Agreed.

Tobriand said:
On the other hand, they are ninnies at times, whereas the people we know who are involved with this are fairly far from it (most of the time). And surely those who aren't ninnies should be able to do at least what the ninnies can!

I wish the world worked like that. But often talent and the right ideas have little to do with success - look at Bill Gates, George Bush, and all those teen pop boy band / whatever things. I'm sure there are better less political examples...

I would still be more inclined to invest in good ideas though. By no means am I nay saying, I'm just in pursuit of KNOWLEDGE... I don't see how it hurts to assure the consumer of your devious plans for success...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back