Craigix Discloses Information On New Gp2x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess if this device is actually a sort of PDA/UMPC/Subnotebook sort of thing, it needs to run X Window?

Shikaku said:
The later/beta versions also support Youtube. By the time the new handheld comes out it should be non beta and might have more features.
Sounds not too shabby then. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
Dzz said:
trooper said:
Craig mentions the dual core and the fact that each processor is clocked at 500mhz here, Just thought you might like to add it to your summary saehn.

Trooper

That post was a hoax. Look at the user name.

Oh shit, My bad, And i`m a mod :( . I may have to step down. :unsure:

I was looking mainly at the avatar (which Craigix`s one is obvious), And not the username.

Thanks guys, Will teach me to look more closely next time. :rolleyes:

Trooper

ban the imposter!!!

From the deduced features so far, I see this as being similar to the GBA->DS situation. Somewhat more powerful, but a vast expansion of functionality and control. It sounds like an absolute dream machine, personally. Keyboard + Touchscreen + good gaming controls = WOW.

And in the same way I still use my GBA sometimes, I dare say I would continue to use my GP2X for those games/functions that suit it better, AA's, screen res fit, etc. Nothing will stop it remaining a nifty machine.

Very interesting read :) Love the tease messages of Squidge, Craigix, EvilDragon and mfk, great teamwork guys!

Good to see this will become a Linux device, will the firmware be open source? Open2X perhaps? Haven't heard dealbreakers for me yet, but I will keep the GP2X.
It think it will still be unbeatable for some emulators due to screenres, weight and size.

You will never win them all, but me for sure. I was a bit suprised about the keyboard and touchscreen though, but I really like the idea. If this also has a permanent clock this would finish the greatness of the device.
I've owned an Archos PMA400 and one of its major flaws was the lack of a permanent clock. If it's not implemented yet, please do!

Openmoko and the "tobenamed" are the best pieces of hardware I can think of buying this or next year. The money is burning in my pockets, ouch..

cappuchok said:
If this isn't some elaborate (and horribly cruel) joke by craigix, Squidge and ED, and the unit really is in development, I'm all for it.
I don't think at all that it's a hoax. At first, I wondered why it would be announced so far in advance that it might hurt GP2X sales. Now, I don't think that those who have announced it and are developing it care about any potential impact on GP2X sales because they _aren't_ GPH. And considering how far SoC technology has advanced since the introduction of the GP2X, if GPH can't some up with an updated GP2X on their own, they deserve to have their sales fall.

Lurkio said:
b_o_b said:
Good to see this will become a Linux device, will the firmware be open source?
Take a guess. ;)

There are enough Linux devices with closed sourced firmware.

hmm, just thought of a great thing- with a touchscreen, Milkytracker would be usable! (it's not really that usable on the GP2X imo...)

Would there be the possibility for a built in microphone, like the DS? That would be great.

I can see this machine being great for music applications (especially with wifi, OSC would be easy peasy.)

Samba Pa Ti said:
trooper said:
Dzz said:
trooper said:
Craig mentions the dual core and the fact that each processor is clocked at 500mhz here, Just thought you might like to add it to your summary saehn.

Trooper

That post was a hoax. Look at the user name.

Oh shit, My bad, And i`m a mod :( . I may have to step down. :unsure:

I was looking mainly at the avatar (which Craigix`s one is obvious), And not the username.

Thanks guys, Will teach me to look more closely next time. :rolleyes:

Trooper

ban the imposter!!!

Well, His post has been deleted, To stop any confusion and save my arse. :rolleyes:

Trooper

b_o_b said:
Fully or partially closed? If it's partially closed then they can get away with it (boo hiss), If it's fully closed then somebody should send the FSF after them.

Anyway, hopefully this device should be fully open.

Lurkio said:
b_o_b said:
Fully or partially closed? If it's partially closed then they can get away with it (boo hiss), If it's fully closed then somebody should send the FSF after them.

Yeah, a device with a community maintained firmware would be the best way forward I think- this way it would progress much faster.

Lurkio said:
b_o_b said:

I even think the neo1973 (openmoko) is the first truly open consumer device ever (not 100% sure about that btw).
The closeness of fa the Archos PMA400 or phones like Motorola A1200/A780/E680 really slowed down development of great stuff like on the gp2x.

Squidge said:
Dzz said:
So I guess if this device is actually a sort of PDA/UMPC/Subnotebook sort of thing, it needs to run X Window?
Urgh.

Sorry, just trying (unsuccessfully) to wrap my head around the concept for the device... if people are expecting firefox with flash plugins and whatnot, I'm not sure what is needed to give it to them.

I pretty much understand the gp2x -- it's a pocket-size game and media player. Because it is open (and no other pocket-size game and media player is), it has developed a nice community of developers to port and write stuff for it.

I'm not really sure what this new thing is. It does seem to have grown beyond pocket size because of the keyboard and large screen.

Really, a very interesting Thread. :)
I lean back and enjoy the show. It's amazing, we can see "live" how a Gaming device is made from fans for fans, maybe the first time in history if you don't count GP32 and GP2X. ^^

I think the Device will be nice (hehe) I'm oraceling that the biggest problem in development at the end will be the liftime of the battery/accu. Because it's a handheld at all, this is a very important point. As longer the batteries live in this device, as more sucessful will it be I'm sure. For me, this thing don't need more than 300MHz Processorpower (just an EXAMPLE!). With 3D Chip inside and maybe Alpha support in Hardware (???????) even 300MHz can do miracles and I know we have great devs here. :)
So, big focus should be the accu lifetime and after that the Processor Speed, other hardware features I think - everything costs power, please remember. (And after that, mabye focus the reaction time of th new big (touch?)Screen ;) ;) ;) ) -The GP2X screen is still unbeatable in reaction time I think. Play Sonic at 60FPS with speed shoes on and you still se no blurring - wow.

Edit: I'm not a fan of FLASH GAMES. They usualy slow, even on modern Dual Core PC's, Me and my buddy had tested many Tower Defense games in Flash for example - and they were all very slow at high Detail. Somehow this Flash seems to be very unoptimized to take advantage of Processor Power.

Edit2: Wil lthe new Device really have an Keyboard? Hm, Not sure if this is good. Many movable parts never good on a mobile device. Yes, I'm a fan of rock solid, stable Hardware which doesn't get broken only when you mean looking at it :lol: I'm sure Keyboard is the firtst broken thing, when the handheld fall from the table. ^^

smh1110_25345867-thumb.jpg

Those high res screens are not so big really...

b_o_b said:
I even think the neo1973 (openmoko) is the first truly open consumer device ever (not 100% sure about that btw).
I think you may be right, well nothing turned up when I did a fairly speedy google search anyway. :)

I think I may have found the 2nd open consumer orientated hardware platform though.

buglabs

Writeup 1

Follow on piece to writeup 1

Dzz said:
I'm not really sure what this new thing is. It does seem to have grown beyond pocket size because of the keyboard and large screen.
Good point, I think this should be marketed as a gaming device and nothing else. Every idiot can think of all the other things you can do with it, but it should be advertised as a the new gp2x. Why does it have wifi - for online gaming. Why does it have a touch screen - for mouse emulation for Atari ST / Commodore Amiga. Game pad + 3d well.. that's obvious.

Lurkio said:
I think I may have found the 2nd open consumer orientated hardware platform though.

buglabs

Writeup 1

Follow on piece to writeup 1

Very promising name BUG :)

craigix said:
Those high res screens are not so big really...
You're right doesn't look too big. Hope there will not be anyone thinking *that* might be the new thing. (you fooled me for a couple of seconds before I saw XP running)

I hope it isn't going to be much bigger than the GP2x, which I think is the perfect size for handheld gaming.
As well, I hope it isnt going to be much heavier either.

I would sacrifice having a keyboard if it meant keeping the size down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back