Cps2emu Test Version 5

brilliant new release !
thank you, Ell (since you seem to read this topic)
(not to mention slaanesh for his advices ;))

this 5th release is quite stunning.

all games are more than playable without sound and with hardware or software scaling, even at 200 mhz !

pocket fighter is even playable at 150 mhz :)

as someone stated before, it's quite amazing for a test release !

i only miss one little thing: an on screen display, for benchmark purposes, would be useful to check the framerate ;)

i only miss one little thing: an on screen display, for benchmark purposes, would be useful to check the framerate ;)
It is available. Add a --showfps to the cps2_config file but make sure you have --sw-rescale set as it's not displayed using --hw-rescale

I used the following command line for hardware rescale:

Code:
cmdLine=./cps2emu --sound --samplerate=11025 --hw-rescale --68kclock=-20 --z80clock=-20

Abd the following command line for software scaling with FPS display:

Code:
cmdLine=./cps2emu --sound --samplerate=11025 --sw-rescale --68kclock=-20 --z80clock=-20 --showfps

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my cpu running at 275 to get things running smooth, but with this release I'm not sure if 250 might be a bit fast. Things are running great.

Have you tried the Progear ROM it does't work for me, not sure if it is a bad dump or a bug in the emu.

In answer to your question DaveC, my Progear worked great up until this release. :( So it might be something in the emu.

I am very impressed with this emu. I really am surprised how easy it is to do combos in Marvel vs Capcom.

edit: Mars Matrix now works and with the cpu running at 250!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Also how do you get rid of that distracting "CPS2EMU for GP2X(ver 5)" text that is always on the top of the screen in the SW and No scale modes? It is driving me goofy :p
I've recompiled a version without this message. It's also using assembler memset/memcpy and has my 16MB buffer mod.

I'm getting very nice FPS with ddtod with it running at the default 250Mhz @ 11025hz sound.

I would say that it's 60FPS with the hardware scaling.

Damn, you work just like ell: very quickly!

Any chance you want to post this? I'd love to try it out

Thanks

Just having a look at this and it's looking really nice. Thanks Ell!

In the readme.txt you say that you watch the forums so I hope you get to read this:

Suggestion cache code to also keep it at 16MB

Code:
	if(block_capacity <= CACHE_SIZE) {
		read_cache = read_cache_static;
	num_cache = block_capacity >> BLOCK_SHIFT;
		block_data = NULL;
	} else {
	read_cache = read_cache_compress;
		num_cache = CACHE_SIZE >> BLOCK_SHIFT;
		block_data = malloc(block_size);
	}
Is it possible to use that to don't have to use .cache files for small roms?

Brilliant, I cant wait to try this release.

Nobody's mentioned it yet in this thread so I'll just add a wee request. Would it be possible to redefine the keys - even if it's in the config file - that would be very helpful, thanks :)

Also, where can we send money? :)

Awesome work! Set up a Paypal account for donations ;)

Oh and I have to second that comment about the stick-klick, even for non dpad users it is bad to use as it wears down the stick, and when external usb joypads are attached it is hard to use also :)

Btw, since i don't have a tvout to test it... is the output on the TV actually widescreen when useing the unscaled mode? Or is that not possible at all with the tvout of the GP2X?

Has anyone got "Progear" to work? It just loads for me, says "game start" then crashes to main menu.

you're not using the asia rom version are you? in the docs, these two are listed as OK:

progear Progear (US 010117)
progearj Progear no Arashi (Japan 010117)

and this one is listed as not working:

progeara Progear (Asia 010117)

Is it possible to use that to don't have to use .cache files for small roms?

It shouldn't be needed the cache files for any rom, either:
- Using the GP2X upper 32 Mb memory area (get a wrapper from the MAME GP2X source code).
- Or for example loading the ZIP with the ROMs in the upper memory area should be enough... The no need to have the cache files, less space occupied in the SD, etc...

Some suggestions:
- An interesting idea could be to add a 16.5 KHz sound option.
- Use memcpy.S and memset.S from latest MAME GP2X.
- MMU Hack.
- RAM Tweaks.
- Maybe underclock to 80% wouldn't have problems with any game. It could be activated by default...

Also how do you get rid of that distracting "CPS2EMU for GP2X(ver 5)" text that is always on the top of the screen in the SW and No scale modes? It is driving me goofy :p
I've recompiled a version without this message. It's also using assembler memset/memcpy and has my 16MB buffer mod.

I'm getting very nice FPS with ddtod with it running at the default 250Mhz @ 11025hz sound.

I would say that it's 60FPS with the hardware scaling.

Too bad my GP2X locks up at anything over 240 MHz ;)

Is there anyway you could upload this version? I would like to have it without that un-needed message (I know it is a CPS2 emu for GP2X, I am running CPS2 games and it is on a GP2X :rolleyes: ) There is no need to have it on screen all of the time, I don't understand that.

The extra FPS would be nice too especially when I can only go to 240 MHz.

Any chance it could use the extra RAM so we don't need card space eating cache files?

Since this is running so good it makes me think NeoGeo could run perfect, as well as CPS1. FinalFight and Ghouls and Ghosts with clear sound and smooth framerate could be cool.

Awesome work! Set up a Paypal account for donations ;)

Oh and I have to second that comment about the stick-klick, even for non dpad users it is bad to use as it wears down the stick, and when external usb joypads are attached it is hard to use also :)

Yes *PLEASE* give a key combo alternative to the stick click it should NEVER be required to operate an app due to d-pad and USB pad users.

[Out of topic]
neogeo could be better on GP2x with a lot of work on sound processor with some ARM ASM code and gngeo could use a little more extra RAM to use less gfx file and no gfx file for some more roms. I think gngeo could be played fullspeed on all game with GP2x at 240MHz ;)
[Out of topic]

could it be use of second cpu of the GP2x for sound for pepole like DaveC that can go to fast on the first CPU? ;)

Oh, this is bad, the hardest gp2x user of the world has got a really slow unit. Mine goes up to 285 stable.

back to the topic. I am paying close attention to the news on this emu. It seems that it has almost reached the qualities of the psp one. Until now I was too lazy to give it a try as I got the full cps2 romset ready on my psp. This will change tonight.

Oh, this is bad, the hardest gp2x user of the world has got a really slow unit. Mine goes up to 285 stable.

Don't worry, he has at least two GP2X, and I bet the other one is faster ;)

But on principle he is right, there are people who only have these slow units, and one shouldn't take overclocking for granted (also because of battery useage), and stop optimizing the emulator "because it runs full speed @ 285Mhz" as the general "consensus" (of the hardcore users on this board) often seems to be.

Wow, I really need to try this. Great work!! We all appreciate it. I was wondering about two things. Where do we send the money for donations and does it output at full resolution with tv out?

Sometimes games seems to run faster they must run o_O
I have fps counter on screen and it does not overpass 60 fps(100%) but it seems to run over that.
Has this emu fps limiter?

Is it posible to see the entire screen-game in no rescale mode? Both sides are lost.I prefer bigger black bars up and down if i can see entire game.
CPS1 games in MAME have the same problem.If you use no reecale mode it´s beautiful and perfect but the sides are lost :( Ghouls and Ghost for example.

Sometimes games seems to run faster they must run o_O
I have fps counter on screen and it does not overpass 60 fps(100%) but it seems to run over that.
Has this emu fps limiter?

Is it posible to see the entire screen-game in no rescale mode? Both sides are lost.I prefer bigger black bars up and down if i can see entire game.
CPS1 games in MAME have the same problem.If you use no reecale mode it´s beautiful and perfect but the sides are lost :( Ghouls and Ghost for example.

How would you see the whole screen without scaling :rolleyes: The CPSn was 384 and the GP2X is 320 horizontal. You either have to scale or crop, those are the 2 options.

Back