Cps2emu Test Version 4

I think the scaling is good too. I am having way too much fun with this. :D I have got to go to bed and get some sleep. <_< The games are playing great now. It just keeps getting better and better.

I had a little trouble at first, then it hit me, well duh, :blink: I've got to re-cashe everything.

I love this emu!

i think some command line option like the same like Gngeo will be a good idea to see in futur release then we can use Rage2x without too much change ^^ and an .ini file with the same options.
The options will be:
-sample rate (11025, 22050 or 44100)
-sound activated/desactivated
-Frameskip (auto, 1, 2 ,3 or 4)
-graphique mode Rescale, vertical, normal
-buttons config
-integrated overclock

This version is realy awsome great work and now we have name to put in front of the port ^^

Don't miss to update the wiki page with your rom test ^^: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/CPS2emu

version 4 wont find my roms , all the last 3 worked fine ,,,im in tears......tryed everything i can think off..even asked the cat..but he just gave me a smug grin and went to sleep.....help me ob-1....

This emulator is coming along brilliantly, great job.

On the subject of scaling, I don't know if anyone here owns a GBA but some of the emulators on it (pocketnes and smsadvance I think) have an option to follow a sprite so rather than having to scale the screen it simply makes sure that the screen scrolls to focus on a particular sprite. I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement but just thought it was a good idea.

I tried Mars Matrix and lasted for 10 seconds, it is nuts, you are supposed to be able to play that? I wonder if anyone has ever beat it :p
Only on PC-MAME ;)
Mars Matrix is a little bit to fast on GP2X with Auto-Frameskip. With Frameskip 0 the speed was nearly normal but the Sound was chopped.

fatdad

You need to re-do the cache files.

Another big bonus is that with this 4th release the cache files are much smaller.
And when you delete the cached Files from the Rom's it's again much smaller :)

I like the new scaling. Now you can see the whole playfield in Puzzle Fighter. And the Aspect ratio seems better than the old one. Unscaled, the background Globe in Marvel vs. Capcom (character-Screen) was way to much "pressed" now it's nearly round. ^^

By the way, are the "Dungeons and Dragons" Games are really that good?

Last edited by a moderator:
The scaling is not THAT bad I guess, scaling down slightly doesn't quite look as bad as scaling up for some reason.
I'm the opposite. I don't mind scaling up but scaling down looks awful to me. That's probably why I didn't play Final Fight on MAME as much as I would've liked. CPS stuff is one of the few cases where the GP2x res isn't so good. It's still nice to see it running though.

fine progress... I like it very much! :D

I try it with TV-out and it's very good when TV-fixer utility is aplied.... without it the game screen is still pressed in left half of the tv screen

Has anyone managed to compile the romcnv tool for Linux? I don't run Windows (and don't have Wine installed), so I don't seem to have any way of generating cache files...

I hope this will be built-in in future versions, like it is with GNGeo... especially if the cache files are going to change decently often.

--Zero

Great emu though for being so early. Honestly I like NeoGeo much better though as far as the games go. I think NeoGeo has more on-screen colors and better sound, and Metal Slug ROX. Some of the CPS2 (and CPS1) side scrolling beat em ups are cool. I like AVP and Final fight.

There's a lot more titles and variety on the Neo Geo since it kept going for well over a decade. But the CPS2 probably caught Capcom towards the end of their golden era, so there are some great quality titles on there. Basically, Neo Geo + CPS2 = the best arcade gaming of the 90's B)

EDIT: fatdad - open up cps2conv.bat in the /romcnv folder and it'll ask you to search for a ROM file. Browse to the zipped rom and and click open. Wait a few seconds and you're done...if there was an error message you might have the wrong ROM. Copy the ZIP file to the /roms directory and the cache file romcnv created in the /romcnv/cache folder to the main /cache folder.

The scaling is not THAT bad I guess, scaling down slightly doesn't quite look as bad as scaling up for some reason.
I'm the opposite. I don't mind scaling up but scaling down looks awful to me. That's probably why I didn't play Final Fight on MAME as much as I would've liked. CPS stuff is one of the few cases where the GP2x res isn't so good. It's still nice to see it running though.

So just play it at 1:1. Final fight is fine unscaled since the character is kind of in the center most of the time anyway.

There's a lot more titles and variety on the Neo Geo since it kept going for well over a decade. But the CPS2 probably caught Capcom towards the end of their golden era, so there are some great quality titles on there. Basically, Neo Geo + CPS2 = the best arcade gaming of the 90's B)

The graphics on NeoGeo are better. There are more colors in the backgrounds and sprites and the shading is much smoother. The CPS2 has much more color banding and dither in the graphics.

Has anyone managed to compile the romcnv tool for Linux? I don't run Windows (and don't have Wine installed), so I don't seem to have any way of generating cache files...

I hope this will be built-in in future versions, like it is with GNGeo... especially if the cache files are going to change decently often.

--Zero
Have you tried to use it with something like DosBox?

Great emu though for being so early. Honestly I like NeoGeo much better though as far as the games go. I think NeoGeo has more on-screen colors and better sound, and Metal Slug ROX. Some of the CPS2 (and CPS1) side scrolling beat em ups are cool. I like AVP and Final fight.

EDIT: fatdad - open up cps2conv.bat in the /romcnv folder and it'll ask you to search for a ROM file. Browse to the zipped rom and and click open. Wait a few seconds and you're done...if there was an error message you might have the wrong ROM. Copy the ZIP file to the /roms directory and the cache file romcnv created in the /romcnv/cache folder to the main /cache folder.

its alive, its alive ......thanks......me love you long time $5 dollar..... :eek:

This emu is awesome. Can the GP2X now emulate almost all 2D systems to a good (playable) level?

Sharp X68000.
For the Sharp, maybe porting Virtual X68000?
Dragon 32. Port the GP32 emulator probably.
SamCoupé. Port SimCoupe.

Can't think of any others off the top of my head. But I think you're right Craig, the GP2X can emulate all the popular 2D systems.

Edit: Also, if you want to be optimistic U64emu SDL is written in C with some ASM and runs the arcade version of Killer Instinct. It is GPL although I don't know where to find the source code.

Back