Cps2emu Test Version 3

Faugh was right....I'm just an impatient bastard. I would give up on it after 5-10 seconds, when 15-20 seconds of waiting would bring it up. Runs a little choppy for me though--there's no frame counter, but it looks to me like I'm getting 10-15 fps.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm guessing something to do with cache files? I don't see any docs on how to create the cache files...well, at least docs that don't open up as gibberish. I see something called romcnv_cps2.exe, but I'm on a Mac...any tips?

Thanks!

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't seem to get it to work. I'm guessing something to do with cache files? I don't see any docs on how to create the cache files...well, at least docs that don't open up as gibberish. I see something called romcnv_cps2.exe, but I'm on a Mac...any tips?

Thanks!
I'm on a Mac too, but you are going to need a PC to run this as it's the only way to create the cache files.

Use a friend's PC?

Anyway, you run the rowcnv_cps2.exe and it will prompt you for a ROM. It then will spit out a file which then goes into the cache directory. That's all there is to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on a Mac too, but you are going to need a PC to run this as it's the only way to create the cache files.

Use a friend's PC?

Anyway, you run the rowcnv_cps2.exe and it will prompt you for a ROM. It then will spit out a file which then goes into the cache directory. That's all there is to it!

Good to know. I figured as much, but some confirmation was helpful. I should update the wiki...
regardless, i'll try it out on a PC at work tomorrow, and report back. Thanks!

I wonder if this could be made to work with CPS1 games? Ghouls and Ghosts would be nice to play. I think that is simpler hardware too, might run smoother.

Look, this CPS2 uses cyclone and drz80 if the source is anything to go by (along with the mmuhack). As I mentioned on the other thread, it doesn't seem to use paeryn's hardware accelerated SDL.

Are you sure? It says in the readme that the CPU core was improved for compatibility. I doubt he changed Cyclone. To me that indicates just a "C" core ported from the PSP version. Just a guess though, i guess you would know better after looking at the code. If he did improve Cyclone maybe it would help other stuff like Amiga etc.

Would paeryn's SDL make that much difference in speed?

Also maybe there could be an option like in MAME where vertical games could use the volume for control buttons when rotated.

The emu just exits instantly when I select a game. What ROMs do you use? can it use FinalBurn versions? (god I hate all of these romsets with different versions ;) )
Ta-da! It uses the latest version MAME roms as the code is based on MAME 106 or something like that.

I wonder if this could be made to work with CPS1 games? Ghouls and Ghosts would be nice to play. I think that is simpler hardware too, might run smoother.
CPS1 should run very easily as the original PSP emu included this as a seperate binary.
CPS1 is fairly similar to CPS2; the biggest differences are the use of Qsound (though some CPS1 have Qsound), generally faster CPU clock speed and larger ROM capacities.

Look, this CPS2 uses cyclone and drz80 if the source is anything to go by (along with the mmuhack). As I mentioned on the other thread, it doesn't seem to use paeryn's hardware accelerated SDL.

Are you sure? It says in the readme that the CPU core was improved for compatibility. I doubt he changed Cyclone. To me that indicates just a "C" core ported from the PSP version. Just a guess though, i guess you would know better after looking at the code. If he did improve Cyclone maybe it would help other stuff like Amiga etc. It does use the MMU hack but I thought that was unrelated.

Would paeryn's SDL make that much difference in speed?
It does seem to be using Cyclone and DrZ80, I also had a look. I also find it odd that these are more compatible though Cyclone is pretty good and there are only 2 games on GP2X MAME that I know that are incompatible.

CPS1 should run very easily as the original PSP emu included this as a seperate binary.
CPS1 is fairly similar to CPS2; the biggest differences are the use of Qsound (though some CPS1 have Qsound), generally faster CPU clock speed and larger ROM capacities.

Maybe that would be a better fit for the Gp2X then. Most of the games i tried for CPS2 were kind of choppy and that was overclocked to 240Mhz. Seems a bit much for the Gp2X.

There are some very good CPS1 games and more shooters/scrollers like Ghouls n ghosts and Magic Sword etc. I wonder how those would run? NeoGeo runs smooth si maybe this would be like that?

There are some very good CPS1 games and more shooters/scrollers like Ghouls n ghosts and Magic Sword etc. I wonder how those would run? NeoGeo runs smooth si maybe this would be like that?
It'd be nice to finally have a working Final Fight too. The continue screen has been broken on MAME forever.

Are you sure? It says in the readme that the CPU core was improved for compatibility. I doubt he changed Cyclone. To me that indicates just a "C" core ported from the PSP version. Just a guess though, i guess you would know better after looking at the code. If he did improve Cyclone maybe it would help other stuff like Amiga etc.
I can confirm it uses both unmodified Cyclone and DrZ80 from PicoDrive source tree. That improvement was probably made to the wrapper code.

Haven't tried this yet as I need to dig out my CPS2 roms... Many Kudos points to the people who developed / ported this. I am sure many of us will be donating through Paypal =D once it's clear who did the work.

I have been very occupied at work lately to have time for the GP2X, but i have seen that Cyclone and DrZ80 are already used in the CPS-2 emulator. And it seems they are better integrated than in MAME. I will try to reuse something for MAME. I did an small test yesterday with the modified DrZ80 from the CPS-2 emulator but it worked very very slowly, i probably did something wrong. I will investigate it...

Damn this works fine:d By the way can you add a possibillty to chance the button configure, becouse this doesnt really fit with megaman.

Thanks though :)

The sound is also setup to run at 44100hz, which is nice and all but unnecessarily high IMHO.
I bet it will run a bucket load faster at 11025 :D

I'm also sure that the old "under clock the emulated CPU" trick will also speed things up; running the CPUs at 80% usually has very little to zero impact on the functionality of the game with a nice speed up.
Yo mean this (for me) mysterious Option like in GNGeo? I never had a clue how to use this Emu-CPU underclock Options. :( When and when not and overall.... ^^""""

The Sound in the CPS2 Emu runs at 44100Hz ? I really want to know too, how the emu will work with 11025 :) But there's no Option yet, right?

great work for test version! :D
would be fine to fit aspect ratio on gp2x screen or add options to choose from some screen modes (yes I know the resolution is bigger in horizontal side then gp2x LCD resolution)...

I try it on TV-Out but sadly without good result - selector is showed on TV properly but when rom is selected it shown only left half of game screen... when I used 'tvfixer' utility - selector is showed properly again, but game screen is all black (game is runnig according to sounds)
Got someone cps2emu working fine through tv-out??

Some suggestions for the "mystery coder" if reading this:

Sound quality settings: (11025, 22050 etc) to speed things up.

Allow volume to be game controls for vertical games such as shooters: A combo such as "hold down Start+ volume" to change volume.

Pan mode: A combo such as "hold select + volume" would adjust horizontal screen position. This way you could position the screen so it shows the most important area. Every press would shift the position like 5 pixels or so. In a shooter for example could be positioned so your ship on the left shows.

Hot key scaling: Press a combo, the screen scales out to full frame to show score etc. When you release button it pops back to 1:1 display.

Scaling: Not something I like but others do: scale to fit constant mode(horizontal only height is fine).

Use the extra RAM on the GP2X when possible to avoid the large cache files. The GP2X has alot more RAM than PSP. NeoGeo can run some larger ROMs without the cache/Gfx dump.

CPS1 support: Would run smoother anyway, CPS1 has some great games (many I like better than CPS2, not a big fan of 37 versions of Street Fighter :p )

Anyway great work, Looks great so far.

Use the extra RAM on the GP2X when possible to avoid the large cache files. The GP2X has alot more RAM than PSP. NeoGeo can run some larger ROMs without the cache/Gfx dump.

Well I tested it and it works. If you grab the cache converter that came with the newest psp cps2 emu 1.66. It has a newer cache converter. There are .bat files to zip the game roms into cache.zip files. I did it for Dimahoo and it works. It compresses it pretty well too. So if you grab that new converter it will work. It's a fix for saving SD space until/if the author has the emulator recognize larger roms and not have to cache them. Again this is sweet for such an early release.

I have been very occupied at work lately to have time for the GP2X, but i have seen that Cyclone and DrZ80 are already used in the CPS-2 emulator. And it seems they are better integrated than in MAME. I will try to reuse something for MAME. I did an small test yesterday with the modified DrZ80 from the CPS-2 emulator but it worked very very slowly, i probably did something wrong. I will investigate it...

...even for a new romset of Mame... :lol:

Well I tested it and it works. If you grab the cache converter that came with the newest psp cps2 emu 1.66. It has a newer cache converter. There are .bat files to zip the game roms into cache.zip files. I did it for Dimahoo and it works. It compresses it pretty well too. So if you grab that new converter it will work. It's a fix for saving SD space until/if the author has the emulator recognize larger roms and not have to cache them. Again this is sweet for such an early release.

To save Space, you can also delete the converted GFX-Files in the Roms. Someone in our german forum gave the hint. It works and you don't need a dummy-file like in GNGeo. Saves a LOT SD-Space! :)
The convert-tool list the cached files so there you can see what to delete. Really useful hint.

Besides: I hope for scaling-option too. Puzzle Fighter is not easy without the left column. :lol: I hope, scaling don't need that much CPU-Power (like in MAME - compare the fps with/without scaling there)

Back