Cps2emu Test Version 4

Something I'd like to see in the future are optional hotkeys. The button placement on the GP2X makes the 3xPunch and 3xKick moves tricky to pull off some times (in the Street Fighter-related games), so - for instance - an option to register the light and hard punch buttons pressed together as all three punch-buttons being pressed would be great.

Too bad the author of the emulator doesn't seem to post here...

I tried recompiling test 4 with some minor tweaks: using 11025 sound, accelerated SDL and changes to palette color to lose the red tinge. My test game has been DDTOD but I will try some others. Just seeing what scope there is for changes. CPS2 is one reason I was starting to play the PSP, but it feels nice on the GP2X :)

The other thing I'm wondering about is the cache size; it should always be at least 16MB, shouldn't it? Why does it for larger games reduce in size? I know the PSP has 32MB so that's a factor, but the GP2X has 64MB so most games, even the largest should have almost allow full storage of gfx cache in RAM.

Is the dev, Ell a member of this board?

This emu is awesome. Can the GP2X now emulate almost all 2D systems to a good (playable) level?

Sharp X68000.

I was looking for X68000 source; not really anything available though there are some great X68000 emus for windows based machines.

Lots of classic games for the X68000. I've always wanted one of these machines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if you want to be optimistic U64emu SDL is written in C with some ASM and runs the arcade version of Killer Instinct. It is GPL although I don't know where to find the source code.

http://caesar.logiqx.com/zips/emus/multi/u...64emu302src.zip
I'm getting an Error 403, does it work for you?

I don't think so, ell also created MP2X (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=30454), but didn't post in that topic either.

I was looking for X68000 source; not really anything available though there are some great X68000 emus for windows based machines.

Yeah, when I looked for the X68000 was the only open source one I could find was the one I posted.

Screen scaling: Hmmm looks like it's not using the HW blitter at all and doing an average color on every 6th pixel.
That's probably why the scaling looks better than expected with some people?

Also, i recompiled again using assembler memset and made some other improvements to the screen buffer copying. I also underclocked the CPUs by 20% and the results are that it's running quite smoothly.

Very exciting emu this one! :)

Doing a quick search, me and Slaanesh already had this conversation a few months ago (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32008&hl=) :D

BTW, Zophar doesn't allow direct linking.

Back on topic, thanks for suggesting DDTOD. I never played it originally, but playing it on this emulator it seems to be a really fun game so far!

I tried recompiling test 4 with some minor tweaks: using 11025 sound, accelerated SDL and changes to palette color to lose the red tinge. My test game has been DDTOD but I will try some others. Just seeing what scope there is for changes. CPS2 is one reason I was starting to play the PSP, but it feels nice on the GP2X :)

The other thing I'm wondering about is the cache size; it should always be at least 16MB, shouldn't it? Why does it for larger games reduce in size? I know the PSP has 32MB so that's a factor, but the GP2X has 64MB so most games, even the largest should have almost allow full storage of gfx cache in RAM.

This emu is awesome. Can the GP2X now emulate almost all 2D systems to a good (playable) level?

Sharp X68000.

Have you poked around the NJ's CPS1 source at all? CPS1 would be cool too I think. I remembered you mentioned it.

Has anyone managed to compile the romcnv tool for Linux? I don't run Windows (and don't have Wine installed), so I don't seem to have any way of generating cache files...
Have you tried to use it with something like DosBox?

DOSBox said:
C:\>romcnv
This program cannot be run in DOS mode.
:(

Good idea though, I hadn't even thought to try it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to dig out my old MAME rom discs and find myself a Windows machine or something.

--Zero

yeah, romcnv is a windows program. but hypothetically, it might be possible to find a torrent somewhere, with cache files in there...

bear in mind though the latest release broke compatibility with old cache files.

Have you poked around the NJ's CPS1 source at all? CPS1 would be cool too I think. I remembered you mentioned it.

I've poked around. Was mainly looking at the CPS2 sources. I'm not terribly fast with some things as Real Life stuff mostly gets priority.

I've been busily playing the damn thing too. Tried out a swag of other CPS2 games. Everything except the 'fighter' games - don't they need 6 buttons? I'm not fond of using the shoulder buttons if they should be logically located next to the others. I've always had much better success playing the Neo Geo fighters (KOF, etc) and their four button approach.

Technical question:

GP2X blitter:

Seems to just drop pixels if it's in 8-bit mode. See MAME as a good example. High resolution games like Tapper, etc. Fair enough too.
What about in 16-bit mode? Same thing? Just drops pixels? No filtering or smoothing or averaging mode? Is this why the coder has opted to write his own simple software blit for CPS2emu?

I tried recompiling test 4 with some minor tweaks: using 11025 sound, accelerated SDL and changes to palette color to lose the red tinge.

Any luck?
Any chance you found a way to reassign the buttons?

I'd love to check out anything you come up with

Thank you

I'm not the porter of this I'm just playing with the code.

The controls are currently hard-coded, but this could be changed.

Using 11025 sound provides a nice speed up for not a lot of difference in sound quality. I just like having some sound, it doesn't have to be top quality specially since I never wear headphones.

Changing to the accelerated SDL does nothing much except marginally reduce the size of the binary.

Underclocking the CPUs by 20% also helps (like in MAME). The games do not seem to suffer and you get an appreciable speed increase.

Ill have to activate the FPS display to see what the real difference of these changes are.

I've poked around. Was mainly looking at the CPS2 sources. I'm not terribly fast with some things as Real Life stuff mostly gets priority.

Technical question:

GP2X blitter:

Seems to just drop pixels if it's in 8-bit mode. See MAME as a good example. High resolution games like Tapper, etc. Fair enough too.
What about in 16-bit mode? Same thing? Just drops pixels? No filtering or smoothing or averaging mode? Is this why the coder has opted to write his own simple software blit for CPS2emu?

Yeah I just remember you said earlier in this thread that you would be up for porting the CPS1. I still think that would rock as we don't know if Ell is still working on CPS2, I would imagine he is. If he is no one would be doing CPS1.

As far as filtering I wouldn't do it. It doesn't look too bad now. 1:1 still looks better but for a scaled image simply removing every 6th row doesn't look too terrible. When you start with all kinds of averaging and filtering of the image it looks too blurry. That is the one thing that keeps me away from the PSP, that filtering just makes the image WAY too fuzzy. It gives me a headache, it is like my eyes can't focus properly as it is always fuzzy. There is really no need to blurr out the whole image when removing some columns of pixels. Right now is looks nice and sharp.

Hi, yesterday I've created a very quick frontend to see the full name of available romset (and a preview) but unfortunately there is some grafic surface initialisation problem with CPS2EMU.
:(
I've looked cps2emu sources and try to recompiled them to add some argument options (like sound enable, sound quality, show fps) without success :(
Perhaps it will be solved for test5 :)

OMG I just tried this emu for the first time, I popped in Street Fighter Alpha 3, not actually expecting it to work... and it does - seemingly full speed with sound! :eek: I'm just stunned!
Thank you soooo much for this port!
Do we have a link for donations?

Back