Cps2emu Test Version 3

If the author add some command line option like in Gngeo we can use Rage2x for the frontend ^^

i wonder if there's a way for the emu, at least with fighting games or games with a clear main character sprite, to follow that sprite automatically?

i wonder if there's a way for the emu, at least with fighting games or games with a clear main character sprite, to follow that sprite automatically?
PocketNES for the GBA does exactly this, as the GBA's screen is also somewhat smaller than the NES it is emulating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just decided to try this today. I was trying to wait until an almost final release, but I couldn't wait.
I got,
X-men COTA
Progear
19XX
Dimahoo
Alien vs Predator

working.
Work on the emu seems to be going rather nice. Can't wait for it to get better.
This and my Neo Geo on my GP2X is retro heaven. :lol:

Work on the emu seems to be going rather nice. Can't wait for it to get better.
This and my Neo Geo on my GP2X is retro heaven. :lol:

Absolutely! Very impressed with such an early build, and hopefully it'll improve even further.

Right now I'm enjoying SFA and Alien Vs Predator, both of which seem very playable @ 250.

I wonder if this could be made to work with CPS1 games? Ghouls and Ghosts would be nice to play. I think that is simpler hardware too, might run smoother.

Huh? Ghouls'n'Ghosts runs fullspeed with sound on MAME?
Where's the problem...?

It was always kind of choppy for me. I can only do 240 MHz though. Dedicated emus are smoother than MAME. Just compare GnGEO to MAME.

That is why it would be cool to have a dedicated CPS1 emu.

I wonder if this could be made to work with CPS1 games? Ghouls and Ghosts would be nice to play. I think that is simpler hardware too, might run smoother.

Huh? Ghouls'n'Ghosts runs fullspeed with sound on MAME?
Where's the problem...?

It was always kind of choppy for me. I can only do 240 MHz though. Dedicated emus are smoother than MAME. Just compare GnGEO to MAME.

That is why it would be cool to have a dedicated CPS1 emu.

I remember in the DOS days there was a cps1 emu called CALLUS. I always used it cause it was way faster than MAME. Plus not all the cps1 games were emulated in MAME yet. It would be nice to have a dedicated CPS1 emulator for the GP2X. A dedicated System16 emu wouldn't be bad either. Guess I should learn to code and get to work. :lol: I have a question though. Does scaling down the screen also take up cpu power? I know the NEC PC-98 emu NP2X does this. It doesn't seem slow when you scale the window down, just when you scale up. I am pretty sure any scaling at all will take a cpu hit. I am just wondering. Scaling down doesn't look as bad as if it's scaled up, at least not to me anyways.

BTW would a system18 amulator be possible on the gp2x?

Just added,

Eco fighter
Gigawing
Super Gem Fighter (very good and playable) :D
Mars Matrix (choppy)
Darkstarkers

to my list. Wow! This thing is going to be great. :)

From the archive:

- test v4
change cache format to compressed type.
sound sample rate set to 22050Hz.
rescale screen resolusion.
print messages on screen.

I'm getting an error message when I try to load games. It doesn't stay onscreen long enough for me to read it, but it mentions the cache, so we may need to redump caches with this version.

I'll check.

EDIT: Yep.

DAMN! It's FAST! :D SFA2 is completely playable. Almost fullspeed, even.

Alpha 3's a little choppy, but playable.

The new resolution makes text ugly, but the other graphics are fine.

SSF2 (and -T) is full speed, but the graphics seem broken in fights.

I'm gonna try this for the first time later, how do you dump caches, etc :p
Put the "romcnv"-folder on your computer, put the roms in the same folder and either run cps2conv.bat or cps2conv_all.bat (if you have several roms). The cache-files will be in the /cache; copy them to the cache-folder in the main directory of the emulator (on your SD card) and put the roms in the roms-folder. That's all. :D

At some point, there has to be an options menu for sound (sample rate, turn off), screen scaling, and button assignment.

BTW, for some reason, "cps2emu.gpe" has lost its extension. If you want to use Gmenu2x instead of Selector (you should), just rename "cps2emu" to "cps2emu.gpe". Of course, selector will no longer work, unless you edit "cps2_config". Hope this helps

EDIT: Hopefully there will be a way to get to the Test Menu (F2 in MAME). If you play any of the VS games, you probably know why

Back