COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read an article about Centaurus. I never knew what would kill us all, but I did always suspect it would have a silly name. I hear Russia plans to load Centaurus into Satan II missiles and fire them at the US.
Yes please. Vladimir, lisen to @JDTAY, that's a great idea. You can send a few more to the EU or other places for good measure. [I don't know much about Centaurus, but being COVID-19 I'm sure it'll get everywhere in no time anyway, so I'd love for Putin to waste a few Satan II to bring us the same we'll get sooner or later. The more Satan II he fires with COVID the few he send with other warheads.]
Apparently BA.5 has a spin-off now called BA.5.3.1. This is too much to keep up with.
I told you all that farming viruses is never a good idea.

I eon't know about that. The main cause of death from covid seems to be pneumonia when your lungs are a sea of burst and bursting lung cells that have been turned into virus factories, and not so useful for breathing any more. I'm not actually sure what kills you in the end when you get cancer, but for climate change I guess the best you can hope for it being washed away in a flash flood and drowning. I think I'll take war, I mean sure going overseas in a platoon isn't all fun and games, but at least when the end comes you either get shot in the head or heart or a building your in gets kncoked down and you suffocate, or you get wounded elsewhere and die in the end from blood loss.

Updates on Covid19 research:

Title: Waning of BNT162b2 Vaccine Protection against SARS-CoV-2 Infection in Qatar
"Estimated BNT162b2 effectiveness against any SARS-CoV-2 infection was negligible in the first 2 weeks after the first dose. It increased to 36.8% (95% confidence interval [CI], 33.2 to 40.2) in the third week after the first dose and reached its peak at 77.5% (95% CI, 76.4 to 78.6) in the first month after the second dose. Effectiveness declined gradually thereafter, with the decline accelerating after the fourth month to reach approximately 20% in months 5 through 7 after the second dose. Effectiveness against symptomatic infection was higher than effectiveness against asymptomatic infection but waned similarly. Variant-specific effectiveness waned in the same pattern. Effectiveness against any severe, critical, or fatal case of Covid-19 increased rapidly to 66.1% (95% CI, 56.8 to 73.5) by the third week after the first dose and reached 96% or higher in the first 2 months after the second dose; effectiveness persisted at approximately this level for 6 months."
Source: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2114114

Title: Long COVID risk falls only slightly after vaccination, huge study shows
"Vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 lowers the risk of long COVID after infection by only about 15%, according to a study of more than 13 million people. That’s the largest cohort that has yet been used to examine how much vaccines protect against the condition, but it is unlikely to end the uncertainty."
Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01453-0
Article: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01840-0

Title: Duration of mRNA vaccine protection against SARS-CoV-2 Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 subvariants in Qatar
"BNT162b2 effectiveness against symptomatic BA.1 infection was highest at 46.6% (95% confidence interval (CI): 33.4–57.2%) in the first 3 months after the second dose, but then declined to ~10% or below thereafter. Effectiveness rapidly rebounded to 59.9% (95% CI: 51.2–67.0%) in the first month after the booster dose, but then declined to 40.5% (95% CI: 30.8–48.8%) in the second month and thereafter. A similar pattern was observed for mRNA-1273 effectiveness."
graph.png
Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-30895-3

Title: Duration of immune protection of SARS-CoV-2 natural infection against reinfection in Qatar
Pre-print: "Protection of natural infection against reinfection wanes and may diminish within a few years. Viral immune evasion accelerates this waning. Protection against severe reinfection remains very strong, with no evidence for waning, irrespective of variant, for over 14 months after primary infection."
Source (pre-print): https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.07.06.22277306v1

When I went to the convenience store to buy scratchers today, the clerk was coughing like a centaur. She even called the doctor’s office while I was in there. I’ll let you know if I have COVID in three days. I was wearing a mask, but she wasn’t. She even coughed into her hands before handing me scratchers.

The risk of transmission from hand to hand of COVID-19 is relatively low. The coughing in a closed space is more problematic. It's still a good idea to wash your hand in case it's another virus.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure that a joke but if anyone else reads it and doesn't, it's not about drinking any wastewater, it's an indication of the spread of the virus by sewage districts. I'm not sure how many people need to express virus particles to be detectable at the treatment plant, but it means it's spreading, just not sure how severe yet.

According to the CDC’s county map, my county’s COVID level is now high. High is also now the most popular designation at 41% of counties, beating medium at 37%.

Since it hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet, President Biden has tested positive for COVID-19. Now is the time to panic, people. Panic!

Interesting side note: The last polling I saw indicated that Michelle Obama would be more likely to win a presidential primary than Kamala Harris, if it comes to that.

• Wow
Reactions: rSl
They say Biden had a temperature of 99.4 degrees. Pssh, amateur.
Aren't there any privacy laws in the USA (HIPAA or some such?). I guess the patient posted it himself (or his PR army with his assuemd consent)?
I mean USA citizens may want to know the king is dead long life the king, but medical details on the president aren't a bit bad taste ?

He ditnt Posted it on the Caring Corner, also a human can’t have that high temperature .. (in metric)
Not a live human.

But I heard news that a worker died working in the heat (in Madrid?). His dead body was at 42 C when found (I guess near ambient temperature). I think he was leaving paper advertisements in mailboxes up and down the city. To die for such a stupid job...

This morning they’re saying President Biden has almost fully recovered. I wonder if he’ll get that Paxlovid rebound though.

Screw next-gen video game consoles; we’re getting next-gen COVID-19 vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back