Could The Cases Have Been Manufactured In The West?

craigix said:
It's safe to say we will work in secret on any Pandora2 until we are ready to go.

And selling 25k Pandora consoles would be great. I'd be overjoyed with that.

I find this dissapointing. This project was pretty unique for being open about the development process.

Having said that, I guess we all have a vague idea what goes on now. Maybe we (and the team) are better off without the stress next time?

Last edited by a moderator:
ashdjones said:
craigix said:
It's safe to say we will work in secret on any Pandora2 until we are ready to go.

I find this dissapointing. This project was pretty unique for being open about the development process.

Having said that, I guess we all have a vague idea what goes on now. Maybe we (and the team) are better off without the stress next time?

Yeah. Watching them blow half a million dollars on refunds, shipping to no where, and denomination conversion is awesome!

ashdjones said:
craigix said:

Me too! The open nature of this project has been well and truly a huge part of my interest in it! Sure the hardware will be good, but will it be massively good? Probably not .. but being invested and mentally involved in its development, every step along some small way, has been a very interesting factor!

Craig, Pandora2 should *be* Pandora version 2, developed in open, with *lessons fully learned, well applied..*

torpor said:
Craig, Pandora2 should *be* Pandora version 2, developed in open, with *lessons fully learned, well applied..*
Lesson 1: if things don't go exactly as planned, and people are aware of it, they will complain. A lot. Best to keep everything quiet as long as possible. :p

Me too! The open nature of this project has been well and truly a huge part of my interest in it! Sure the hardware will be good, but will it be massively good? Probably not .. but being invested and mentally involved in its development, every step along some small way, has been a very interesting factor!

well input wise as far as new functionality and lessons learned yes open yes.

While fascinating, full production details being public might not be such a good thing. While interesting, it has put people on an emotional rollercoaster, I'm sure that can't be desirable except for the sick and twisted.

Plus who would buy a pandora v1 when pandora v2 has already started development?

If Pandora 2 is developed more secretly then it'd better not be taking preorders to fund this development, again. Or they should be taken under the clear pretense that it's funding and the actual product could take an arbitrarily long time to be released. Taking preorders for a product said to be a few weeks away from delivery, being 1.5 years off that mark, and NOT saying anything about what's happening would be a very bad idea.

jumpman said:
Even once I get my unit and love it, I would think really hard before I supported a Pandora 2 or any other project by this team. I think you are all good guys, doing an impossible job, and for that I applaud you all. But the lack of proper communications, and what appears to be gross incompetence at times leaves me weary on a regular bases.

To a degree I guess I feel - have felt for a long while now, I guess - exactly the other way. As in, if they survive long enough to make a Pandora 2, their competance should have shot WAY up in every department thanks to the Pandora 1 project. Everything - absolutely everything - SHOULD be better. think of the ZX81 after the ZX80, or the ZX Spectrum (with colour! And sound!) after the ZX81. Or the leap from the BBC Micros to the Archimedes. By now, even if OpenPandora ignored many of the community warnings, they've encountered many problems first hand and really KNOW they exist.

They shouldnb't make the same mistakes twice. Though they could make all new ones!

Pleng said:
These people may have ordered in the last 18 months but have since bought a netbook or a phone which can do all or most of what they would have wanted a Pandora for. These aren't customers that will consider coming back. These are customers that are gone forever.

I didn't buy a Pandora alternative in 2008, but in 2009 I bought a Dell netbook (Mini 9 with SSD) and just last week I got a new phone that fills in some missing stuff (actually doing better in some areas) like "handheld" that the netbook misses on.

I've not waited 2 Years for my Pandora, just to see it gets outdated and left by the devs only one or Years after release. :( And it is very likeley, that a "Pandora 2" instantly kills all interest in Pandora 1 and this is the worst case for me. Because it usualy takes a while for devs to discover all the Hardware possibilities of a Console, we will see the real Quality Software maybe 1 Year after Pandora Release.
I recommend at least 5 Years between Pandora 1 and 2, I guess this is long time enough to cover the "value of fun" I've payed for with the price of 250€ for the Handheld. A Handheld where his Software-life last only 1 or 2 Years is not much worth for me.

Good example is the Neo Geo: released in 1990, last official Game released in 2004. THAT's what I call valuable hardware! :) Not to mention Amiga, C64 and so on where we see new stuff until today.

I'd say shoot for a 4 year release of a second pandora. That way you can get a few batches out, break even and make some money on the first one, then by 4 years, there'll be some pretty ridiculous handheld hardware, I'm sure.

It's reasonable for a games console to have a decent lifespan, because a lot of it's made specifically with the console in mind, but the pandora will likely be using a lot more portable software, and it'll also be running a full multitasking OS, so the demands on it and the demands to upgrade are a bit higher, more similar to that of a laptop or PC. People will want to play their big h.264 or whatever the hot codec in a few years is going to be videos, or browse the web, listen to music and do a bunch of other stuff at the same time and not want to lag or run out of memory (honestly, 256MB will probably go pretty fast, given a web browser, and most modern-day websites.).

jb0yx said:
While fascinating, full production details being public might not be such a good thing. While interesting, it has put people on an emotional rollercoaster, I'm sure that can't be desirable except for the sick and twisted.

Plus who would buy a pandora v1 when pandora v2 has already started development?

Well there is no Pandora 2. I think I would know as they would be starting a new case design now and probably have me start to design it now so it would come out on time. There has been no talk (at least to me) about any Pandora 2.

DaveC said:
Well there is no Pandora 2. I think I would know as they would be starting a new case design now and probably have me start to design it now so it would come out on time. There has been no talk (at least to me) about any Pandora 2.
Except that Craig is on record (a record I'm always too lazy to look up) as saying that they'll reuse the same case for a Pandora 2.

craigix said:
Christ. There is no Pandora2. Just the thought of that project makes me feel sick right now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Not meaning to laugh at your misery... Just funny.

craigix said:
Christ. There is no Pandora2. Just the thought of that project makes me feel sick right now.
didn't mean to suggest there was a pandora 2, I meant if their was one being worked on, and being talked about publically, who would buy the first edition?

my bad

Back