Could The Cases Have Been Manufactured In The West?

smcc

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
9
Craig has mentioned that he would have much rather used a manufacturer in the UK or other Western country for the cases. (See here)

Given the amount of hassle that we've had from the factory in China (including lies, as Craig said), I wonder whether it would have been a good idea to pay the extra cost and get a good, honest job.

It would be interesting if Craig could estimate how much it would have added to the end-cost of each Pandora unit to have used a Western manufacturer. If it was up to something in the region of an extra £20 - £30 and we were assured that it was solely to pay for the cost difference in manufacturing then I'm sure a lot of people would have been happy to pay.
It would have saved months of tweaks and revisions, would have helped what's left of Western manufacturing and would have been a good PR exercise for the team.

Even if it's not feasible for the 10,000+ units that OP hope to sell in the end, it could have been an "early adopters premium edition", with the same technical hardware, but just a higher cost case and fewer delays.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

elwing

Rabbit Addict
Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
3,118
smcc said:
Craig has mentioned that he would have much rather used a manufacturer in the UK or other Western country for the cases. (See here)

Given the amount of hassle that we've had from the factory in China (including lies, as Craig said), I wonder whether it would have been a good idea to pay the extra cost and get a good, honest job.

It would be interesting if Craig could estimate how much it would have added to the end-cost of each Pandora unit to have used a Western manufacturer. If it was up to something in the region of an extra £20 - £30 and we were assured that it was solely to pay for the cost difference in manufacturing then I'm sure a lot of people would have been happy to pay.
It would have saved months of tweaks and revisions, would have helped what's left of Western manufacturing and would have been a good PR exercise for the team.

Even if it's not feasible for the 10,000+ units that OP hope to sell in the end, it could have been an "early adopters premium edition", with the same technical hardware, but just a higher cost case and fewer delays.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
from what I recall the case cost around 100'000$ in china VS 1'000'000$ somewhere else since they sold 3000 preorder at 330$ it was just not possible for them...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

smcc

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
9
Elwing said:
smcc said:
Craig has mentioned that he would have much rather used a manufacturer in the UK or other Western country for the cases. (See here)

Given the amount of hassle that we've had from the factory in China (including lies, as Craig said), I wonder whether it would have been a good idea to pay the extra cost and get a good, honest job.

It would be interesting if Craig could estimate how much it would have added to the end-cost of each Pandora unit to have used a Western manufacturer. If it was up to something in the region of an extra £20 - £30 and we were assured that it was solely to pay for the cost difference in manufacturing then I'm sure a lot of people would have been happy to pay.
It would have saved months of tweaks and revisions, would have helped what's left of Western manufacturing and would have been a good PR exercise for the team.

Even if it's not feasible for the 10,000+ units that OP hope to sell in the end, it could have been an "early adopters premium edition", with the same technical hardware, but just a higher cost case and fewer delays.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
from what I recall the case cost around 100'000$ in china VS 1'000'000$ somewhere else since they sold 3000 preorder at 330$ it was just not possible for them...
Hmm, thanks for that. So for the 10,000 cases that comes out as $10/case from the Chinese factory versus $100/case elsewhere?

That is indeed a big difference, especially when ramped up even to the modest initial batch volumes. $100 for a single case just sounds like an insane amount, though. I'm sure that once the machines are tooled up and running, the cost per bit of moulded plastic itself isn't very much. Maybe a deal could have been reached to cover the up-front costs of getting the templates ready (which is understandably expensive, as it involves people's time), and then a more reasonable price per unit.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Feb 3, 2003
Messages
11,010
Location
England
Website
twitter.com
We did get quotes and they would have been hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The ICP, which we have made in the UK, is costing more than the Pandora case an it is a far more simple device.
 

SNESFAN

Retro game fanatic
Joined
Oct 3, 2008
Messages
3,409
Age
37
Location
Fort Knox, KY. USA
craigix said:
We did get quotes and they would have been hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The ICP, which we have made in the UK, is costing more than the Pandora case an it is a far more simple device.
Is that company going to let you keep the molds? If so would that cut down on the cost of future cases some?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Pleng

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
3,030
craigix said:
We did get quotes and they would have been hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The ICP, which we have made in the UK, is costing more than the Pandora case an it is a far more simple device.
So what's changed?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sofox

Still Fresh
Joined
Nov 20, 2005
Messages
76
I really, really hate backseat directing-handheld-gaming-device-production but would it have been possible to bargain down any of the UK case producers? I don't know whether "Quotes" are "Prices" or "Initial offer".

But I'm clearly off the point, the original quotes were obviously used for quick comparison to show that China was cheaper. If production does get moved to the UK, those quotes will most likely be given a more critical eye by Craig and Co, hopefully finding discounts.
 

Pleng

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2006
Messages
3,030
You're not even able to get China to ship the cases. You honestly think they'll send you the moulds?

And don't recite the terms of the contract to me. It's worth nothing. You will never see those moulds.
 

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Joined
Feb 3, 2003
Messages
11,010
Location
England
Website
twitter.com
Pleng said:
You're not even able to get China to ship the cases. You honestly think they'll send you the moulds?

And don't recite the terms of the contract to me. It's worth nothing. You will never see those moulds.
Fatih's company has got the moulds from them before, many times.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2005
Messages
13,052
Location
germany
Website
Visit site
Pleng said:
You're not even able to get China to ship the cases. You honestly think they'll send you the moulds?

And don't recite the terms of the contract to me. It's worth nothing. You will never see those moulds.
Yupp, I also think they will never send the moulds, at last not in one piece :lol:
OR these moulds just don't fit in european machines. :D

But because the moulds were the most expencive thing onto that I guess it should be not too expencive to produce the Cases with the existing moulds here in Europe, UK or Germany, the Companies are not THAT expencive, I've seen some good Small-series Companies even here in Germany. :)
Yes, to make moulds here you have to pay a fortune but mass production of just the cases should be much cheaper (I hope).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Messages
29,281
Age
42
Location
Ingolstadt
Yep, the expensive part is creating the moulds.
Fatih is already looking for different companies which can make the cases in the future.

We WILL make them ship the cases, no worries. Until now, they shipped everything we wanted - just later than they said.
It's the same this time. We've seen pictures of the cases, what use would it be for them to keep them? ;)
 

hobbyman II

Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
487
We've seen pictures of the cases, what use would it be for them to keep them? ;)
they be for the Piratdora, yarr!!

swash me buckles and shiver me hornpipe :pandora2ut4:

just kidding :rolleyes:
 

Sphinxter

Says What?
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
2,897
Location
Silicon Valley California, USA
Website
fullsack.com
fusion_power said:
Pleng said:
You're not even able to get China to ship the cases. You honestly think they'll send you the moulds?

And don't recite the terms of the contract to me. It's worth nothing. You will never see those moulds.
Yupp, I also think they will never send the moulds, at last not in one piece :lol:
OR these moulds just don't fit in european machines. :D

But because the moulds were the most expencive thing onto that I guess it should be not too expencive to produce the Cases with the existing moulds here in Europe, UK or Germany, the Companies are not THAT expencive, I've seen some good Small-series Companies even here in Germany. :)
Yes, to make moulds here you have to pay a fortune but mass production of just the cases should be much cheaper (I hope).
Should not have to worry about fit, the machinery there are all european clones.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sphinxter

Says What?
Joined
Oct 1, 2006
Messages
2,897
Location
Silicon Valley California, USA
Website
fullsack.com
paulguy said:
Jesus, no wonder the western economy is going to shit, they've charged themselves out of business. Good job. :/
Lucky for us not everyone is willing to let their project be delayed for two months repeatedly. Think it would have been worth a little more to have those right the first time in Dec. 2008?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MDave

ZEQ2 Lite Developer
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
1,131
Age
35
Location
United Kingdom, North East Wales, Buckley
Website
www.zeq2.com
craigix said:
Pleng said:
You're not even able to get China to ship the cases. You honestly think they'll send you the moulds?

And don't recite the terms of the contract to me. It's worth nothing. You will never see those moulds.
Fatih's company has got the moulds from them before, many times.
EvilDragon said:
Yep, the expensive part is creating the moulds.
Fatih is already looking for different companies which can make the cases in the future.

We WILL make them ship the cases, no worries. Until now, they shipped everything we wanted - just later than they said.
It's the same this time. We've seen pictures of the cases, what use would it be for them to keep them? ;)
How long will the moulds last until you need new ones made? I hear they don't last very long.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Messages
29,281
Age
42
Location
Ingolstadt
MDave said:
craigix said:
Pleng said:
You're not even able to get China to ship the cases. You honestly think they'll send you the moulds?

And don't recite the terms of the contract to me. It's worth nothing. You will never see those moulds.
Fatih's company has got the moulds from them before, many times.
EvilDragon said:
Yep, the expensive part is creating the moulds.
Fatih is already looking for different companies which can make the cases in the future.

We WILL make them ship the cases, no worries. Until now, they shipped everything we wanted - just later than they said.
It's the same this time. We've seen pictures of the cases, what use would it be for them to keep them? ;)
How long will the moulds last until you need new ones made? I hear they don't last very long.
They do. I once said they are only useful for 10.000 cases, but that was a misunderstanding on my site.
Aluminium ones (cheaper to produce, even outside China) only last for 10.000. The ones we have are hard metal (AFAIK) and endure A LOT more cases.
 
Last edited:

matzesu

Hardcore Member
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2008
Messages
9,280
Age
35
Location
Germany,, Saarland, at home
craigix said:
It's 100,000 to 1 million.

I doubt we will sell that many Pandoras.
How many time do you need to assemble 1Million Pandoras in the old Townhall in Newcastle upon Tyne???

I hope the faktory in texas is enable to speed theyre produktion up because 500 Boards in one week is not enought for 1Million Pandoras... :rolleyes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top