Could The Cases Have Been Manufactured In The West?

Pleng said:
You're not even able to get China to ship the cases. You honestly think they'll send you the moulds?

And don't recite the terms of the contract to me. It's worth nothing. You will never see those moulds.

hurrr

Last edited by a moderator:
C64 sold around 30,000,000 computers during it's lifetime. I'm hoping the Pandora is going to be almost as good as the C64 - but portable. If it is, and considering that theres now over 6 billion people on the planet maybe pandora can break that record. Personally I'll be happy if the first lot get to their alloted customers - most especially my one.

How exactly were these cases ordered? Did the factory show you a menu of parts and you just said "I'll have 5000 number 33's, 5000 number 48's - can I have ectra mat paint with that please, and 5000 number 67's as a side order. Oh and can you deliver to 69 Shitstreet UK. What? Yes, it is within the 3000 free mile delivery radius. Thank you"

craigix said:
It's 100,000 to 1 million.

I doubt we will sell that many Pandoras.

I'm curious, if you guys got close to 100k, how difficult would it be to produce new molds using the existing ones as a "master". Also, how many would you *like* to sell. Millions, sure, but from a business perspective, what did you envision as a a successful run when you started the project? 20k? 50k?

Also, 5 years down the road, if this project hasn't soured you on the whole thing, if you produce a Pandora 2 - complete with 10 band GSM/CDMA 3G sim card toting cell service, 1020P accelerated everything, HDMI out, GPS, swivel screen, 50 megapixel stereoscopic camera, "Fricken Laser Beams!", etc., etc., do you think you'd use a variation on the current case, or design a new one from scratch?

Like everyone, and probably especially you guys, I hope the cases show up soon so you can get this batch out the door, and I hope the next one goes much easier for ya.

Cheers!

edit: forgot the word "you" in a sentence.

It's safe to say we will work in secret on any Pandora2 until we are ready to go.

And selling 25k Pandora consoles would be great. I'd be overjoyed with that.

if I ever win the Euro lottery then I will order 25k consoles just to freak you out :D

on a similar note, have you any contingency plans in place? if Pandora went orbital in the "new toy everyone MUST have" dept (as happened with Asus and the original eeePC netbook, Nintendo and the Wii etc... both devices that where not expected to compete with REAL laptops or next gen consoles), could you ramp up to handle it?, what if batch 2 where sold out days after delivery and you have most of batch 3 sold as well?, could you cope?, it would be sad if you had a massive hit on your hands and your lead times where so long the big boys could muscle in and grab the market before you could start to meet demand, not to mention that if some firm like Sony asked TI for the next four years worth of ARM SOC's to make THEIR clone, you would be on the back burner with a order for a few thousand.

just wondering what you could do, you could wind up being TOO successful :unsure:

Just a silly post to mention even crunchgear talks about injection molding now...

It's all a bit after talk, but still a bit wondering why OP didn't send someone to that factory who speaks the lingo.
From all the story's here and on other places/video's you just avoid a whole lot of issues if you have someone onsite who knows the drill a bit.

And if Fatih's company used them before, did they also have all these issues?

craigix said:
It's safe to say we will work in secret on any Pandora2 until we are ready to go.

Maybe you mean selling Pandora consoles for 25k instead of the usual $330? I'm sure you'd like that a lot! :D

craigix said:

I believe deep down that 25k is way possible. But sadly with all these delays and mishaps, it will probably get less likely.

Everytime I see a new video, I think how truly wonderous of a product this really is. I think if you guys had delivered over the holidays, and all 4000 had shipped by now, I'm sure a demand of 25-50k would be well in reach at this point. Sadly, there is no greater way to disappoint the masses than false promises, and missed delivery dates.

I know it was never open pandora's plan to sell into the millions, but over the last 1-2 years, I'm sure many of those who once felt very good about this project have lost faith. Hopefully you guys can truly deliver soon, and 25k won't be that far off, but the kinks and wrinkles really have to be ironed out. Even once I get my unit and love it, I would think really hard before I supported a Pandora 2 or any other project by this team. I think you are all good guys, doing an impossible job, and for that I applaud you all. But the lack of proper communications, and what appears to be gross incompetence at times leaves me weary on a regular bases. I know that may not be true, but that is the way it sometimes appears.

It is a true love/hate relationship! ;)

Chris

jumpman said:
Everytime I see a new video, I think how truly wonderous of a product this really is.

+1

Even though I don't have the Pandora. I'm happy I took the chance on getting one. The idea alone is worth 330$ for me

Once they find a reliable way to produce the devices the only thing keeping them from selling 25,000 is letting people know they're available for people to buy and what they can do without the big companies shutting them down for emulation.

Alpha2 said:
Once they find a reliable way to produce the devices the only thing keeping them from selling 25,000 is letting people know they're available for people to buy and what they can do without the big companies shutting them down for emulation.

Why would they shut them down for emulation?.. they're not shutting down Dell or HP for being able to run emulators.. Truthfully what the Pandora can do, Emulation is the least of my interests.

craigix said:

This makes me a sad panda :(

jumpman said:
Everytime I see a new video, I think how truly wonderous of a product this really is. I think if you guys had delivered over the holidays, and all 4000 had shipped by now, I'm sure a demand of 25-50k would be well in reach at this point. Sadly, there is no greater way to disappoint the masses than false promises, and missed delivery dates.

It's not even false promises. The fact is people are ordering and leaving at a steady rate. Most of those people who have left (and I note that there are a few exceptions) have gone forever.

Since I pre-ordered, I have had 2 jobs, been involved in 3 projects, and taken 6 long-haul flights where the Pandora would have been really helpful. My need for a Pandora is far less great now than what it was when I first ordered. If I'm honest with myself, it's much more of a toy for me than the combined toy/tool that it would have been 18 months ago - though that's not to say the situation might not change again over the next, lets try and be safe and say 3 months, before delivery.

A lot of people are interested in the Pandora for one or two of the things it can do. These people may have ordered in the last 18 months but have since bought a netbook or a phone which can do all or most of what they would have wanted a Pandora for. These aren't customers that will consider coming back. These are customers that are gone forever.

And the longer the situation drags on, the longer people have to pre-order and wait, the more potential customers are being lost.

Assuming they make enough of a success out of the first system, undoubtedly they'll have learned from their mistakes (or at least some of them) and will be able to produce a more feature rich second console which will respark some interest and make the second machine a huge hit.

Potential customers who would purchase based on the promise and possibility of the console, like us, are far outnumbered by folks who would purchase based on seeing one on the the train, or word of mouth, or reading a review on Slashdot, or hearing about it on Good Morning America, or whatever else. Losses caused by delays in initial production can be more than made up for later.

@ Pleng:

A lot of people are interested in the Pandora for one or two of the things it can do. These people may have ordered in the last 18 months but have since bought a netbook or a phone which can do all or most of what they would have wanted a Pandora for. These aren't customers that will consider coming back. These are customers that are gone forever.

actually, I've bought 1 desktop, 2 netbooks, 2 laptops, 1 e-book, 3 phones and an MP4 player since I ordered my Pandora 11 months ago, don't assume that since other things are available, they do what the Pandora will do, they don't, I aint loaded, BUT I am single, what daddy wants daddy can have B) , all my pennies are belong to me :D etc.

if there was anything like the Pandora out there, I would have bought it, but there isn't, so here I lurk, waiting, waiting, forever waiting :unsure: :pandora2ut4:

Back