Completed Pandora Pics

Squidge said:
OrR said:
I've got two of those as well back from the Zodiac days. :) Best stylus ever made! :wub: I still use them with my DS and Neo 1973. Nothing else works this well with Ouendan. Would be awesome if you'd contract this guy to make the Pandora Stylii or at least something comparable in quality is produced.
Could be an excellent gift to the first batch pre-orderers :)

I like to think that being one of the first to get and play with it, and the envy of those that haven't gotten one, is plenty of reward enough for pre-orderers.

Last edited by a moderator:
quadomatic said:
Piiiiiiiiic....wait a minute. Is the picture we see going to be a completed case or a render? How would you guys get a completed case done so quickly if you're still finalizing the design?

I believe as was quoted early in the thread:

"We have now sent off the final MK2 PCB for production and we will have some photos and videos of the first ones around the 12th of October."

Only the final circuit board was mentioned, not a fully assembled unit.

They will only have a final production case when the actual production run is finished.
And by that point, apart from final testing, it's pretty much ready to send out; so don't expect pictures of a complete unit until fairly close to the ship date...

Kagato said:
quadomatic said:
Piiiiiiiiic....wait a minute. Is the picture we see going to be a completed case or a render? How would you guys get a completed case done so quickly if you're still finalizing the design?

"We have now sent off the final MK2 PCB for production and we will have some photos and videos of the first ones around the 12th of October."

They will only have a final production case when the actual production run is finished.
And by that point, apart from final testing, it's pretty much ready to send out; so don't expect pictures of a complete unit until fairly close to the ship date...

I wasn't expecting a completed unit. I meant the case itself, because I think I read something that EvilDragon mentioned earlier in this thread...here:

At the moment, we're finishing the last details of the case. THAT has been delayed a bit by PayPal... as soon as it will be finished, a nice prototype case will be built and we can show you (near)-final units smile.gif

OrR said:
Squidge said:
I wonder if the stylii will be anything like those offered by http://www.hammill.demon.co.uk/mrh.htm back in 2005 ? I still have a couple of those knocking around in there own leather cases, so it would be nice if they fitted the slot :)

I've got two of those as well back from the Zodiac days. :) Best stylus ever made! :wub: I still use them with my DS and Neo 1973.

Ditto and ditto. Except the Neo 1973 bit. I still use this stylus on my Zod, DS and anything else with touchscreen.

quadomatic said:
Kagato said:
quadomatic said:

I wasn't expecting a completed unit. I meant the case itself, because I think I read something that EvilDragon mentioned earlier in this thread...here:

At the moment, we're finishing the last details of the case. THAT has been delayed a bit by PayPal... as soon as it will be finished, a nice prototype case will be built and we can show you (near)-final units smile.gif

He said, that they were fiddling with the keyboard rubber and the stylus holder. I think he meant, that after that is finished, the ok goes to the plant to aktually produce the case.

quadomatic said:

It will be another prototype case, which will not be identical to the final case. It will be machined rather than cast, which is very expensive. If it's purely to keep us all quiet, they may elect not to produce another prototype.
However, I'm pretty sure they will, to verify the fit of any last changes. I hope they'll give us some pictures of all the bits put together...

I really don't see any demand in another prototype. The preorders are out and none of the "I will only buy if I see a finished case before"-people will have to wait till the first batch is produced, anyway. So why spend money on an expensive prototype rather then putting it to the dev-fond or save it as a buffer?

I'd rather they didn't waste money until they had to (from some manufacturing pov), definitely not just because people on here want to see it - my opinion.

I'm happy to wait for the final product

Kagato said:
quadomatic said:

It will be another prototype case, which will not be identical to the final case. It will be machined rather than cast, which is very expensive. If it's purely to keep us all quiet, they may elect not to produce another prototype.
However, I'm pretty sure they will, to verify the fit of any last changes. I hope they'll give us some pictures of all the bits put together...
I would think that the prototype case is more helpful to make sure that all the parts fit together like they should, so they can avoid having to adjust things like screw-holes, or cut some space from the case should a component protrude .05mm (arbitrary number) too far out. Remember: Everything can look perfect on paper, but assumptions can be expensive, especially during production. The fact that we get to see one is an added benefit.

Gilrad said:
I would think that the prototype case is more helpful to make sure that all the parts fit together like they should, so they can avoid having to adjust things like screw-holes, or cut some space from the case should a component protrude .05mm (arbitrary number) too far out. Remember: Everything can look perfect on paper, but assumptions can be expensive, especially during production. The fact that we get to see one is an added benefit.
Thats why I'm sure they CAD drawn ever part and add tolerances to make sure everything thing fits with some leeway. Give the guys some credit. I'm sure they are intelligent and use a Computer Aided Drawling program. Your reason is exactly why CAD programs were made, to make sure everything fits properly.

CNC = VERY EXPENSIVE

And our whole hypothesis about a component protruding is the reason why a good design is important. The only reason why I can see someone CNCing a Pandora is to make sure the ergonomics of it are good enough. A CAD program can't do that. You can guess at it but only a real model can give actual confirmation of that.

3D CAD is not the end of design-time errors, and also a prototype doesn't have to be either CNC or expensive: I'm sure it was stated elsewhere that the previous prototypes were made using FDM machines.

To give you a quick example (and particularly relevant to Pandora): just from your CAD model you can never know if your part is gonna be comfortable to hold or not, but with a prototype you can.

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about: I work with CAD and FDM machines.

edited spelling!

Lobo said:
To give you a quick example (and particularly relevant to Pandora): just from your CAD model you can never know if your part is gonna be comfortable to hold or not, but with a prototype you can.
Isn't that exactly what he said? :)

Creature XL said:
Lobo said:
Isn't that exactly what he said? :)

Yes it was, except that he used a big word like "ergonomics", so I had to get a dictionary to see that what he really he meant was "comfortable to hold" :p

J/K. Sorry, my bad! I went into automatic salesman mode and didn't completely absorb his final conclusion.

GunPei2X said:
We've already preordered, I for one don't need to see anything else until the day it ships.
I don't need to see anything either. I'd like updates that help confirm progress towards shipping. I prefer the effort to go towards completion first, and any extra time can be put towards these 'teasers'. It is nice when software devs, eg Notaz, Zodttd, show the results of their efforts.

TaG said:
It is nice when software devs, eg Notaz, Zodttd, show the results of their efforts.
Indeed, but it also makes the wait more unbearable ;)

+1 TaG

This wait is easier than prison, or worse yet combat time. Grow the f(_)ck up & quit bitchin' for updates. Cause if you've preordered it is called Opportunity Cost in economics class. Every moment the devs spend answering every bullsh!t Paypal issue potentially slows progress as well as requests for new posts. I'd rather hear nuthin and get my Pandora prior to Thanksgiving than get every question answered that's probably already been answered if you knew how to research and get my unit December 20th thanks to Black Friday/holiday nonsense.

Link

Back