How Many In Total?

CodeTwister said:
Xenu said:
It took aprox. 2 weeks to produce 700 pandoras. Let's say that it takes a month to get the new cases + 10 weeks to assemble the rest. We're looking at 3-4 months without a volcano erupting and 6-12 months if we have a new eruption. :)

Have I missed something? As far as I know the cases were not ready to ship even AFTER the volcano problem. So in reality, the volcano had no impact on the Pandora release date. Wrong? I guess the upcoming delays will be caused by the factory queue like in the past.
I agree with you, but if Katla has an eruption we won't have any flights in europe for quite some time (several months probably). That would certainly delay everything. It can happen and the latest eruption clearly increased the risc for Katla erupting. We just have to keep our nintendo thumbs crossed. However, as i said, I also think that the chineese factory is our major cause of concern.

I know that the OP team is working their asses of at this moment, however I can't be other than a little bit dissapointed that I will have to wait at least another 3 months before getting my pandora. I was so hoping for June but instead I have to look forward to September.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an idea, why doesn't the OP team have 200 un-worked cases shipped with a worked-on sample so shipment never slows down. When the sample that comes back as 100% ready for the Chinese company to start pre-working every case then every order from then on will be ordered as pre-worked. I'd just hate to see shipments just stop for weeks and weeks while samples go back and fourth. I'll understand if this is just not feasible for any reason, Chinese can't ship that few or Craig just can't pay people to assemble non pre-worked cases right now, but it's a thought.

second exodous said:
I have an idea, why doesn't the OP team have 200 un-worked cases shipped with a worked-on sample so shipment never slows down. When the sample that comes back as 100% ready for the Chinese company to start pre-working every case then every order from then on will be ordered as pre-worked. I'd just hate to see shipments just stop for weeks and weeks while samples go back and fourth. I'll understand if this is just not feasible for any reason, Chinese can't ship that few or Craig just can't pay people to assemble non pre-worked cases right now, but it's a thought.

Apparently, they ran out of boards recently, and MWeston and ED don't go back home until Wednesday/Thursday. Since they supposedly had 1000 cases, this is probably exactly what they will be doing - fixing up the remaining 300 cases ready for new PCBs to arrive. With Craig taking a break Thursday-Sunday inclusive, I don't know if the case fixing will be finished or continue on Monday, but they don't seem to be scratching around looking for something to do.

mysticmaus said:
Xtreme2k said:
craigix said:
We can't continue the way it is, it takes too long. We spent *DAYS* just sticking on batch labels, bumpers, adhesive strips etc. Not good.

Craig, I believe you that this would save time for the whole project including the second (and maybe third) batch. It will, however, surely not speed up the remaining first batch units because the time for communicating the changes with the chinese, getting samples etc. will be more than the few days you would need to stick on those labels to the 3000 pandoras. You have to understand that I - like probably most of the people who pre-ordered - have no interest in speeding up the next batches. We have waited a really long time and expect you to get _our_ ones out as fast as possible, not further delaying it for your own future interests.

Craig please listen to this post!!! , It sais it all! :eek:

But I guess it's already too late... :(

I want to get a Pandora, but I want the Pandora to succeed even more. Improvements to process, at the cost of some time up front, seem like a very good trade to me. Certainly, if it was only a decision between getting my own a week or two earlier, and six thousand units being completed a week or two earlier - and then all at once, not in a trickle - then that's no decision at all.

If you see things from the other perspective...you're right, it does say it all.

BadToad said:
I envy you all worrying so much about a handheld console/umpc. I just wish that my life was simple enough that the Pandora being later than it should be was of serious importance.

Well, to be fair, some of them have been waiting for two years. Delaying gratification is something many people find difficult. But you're right, good for them.

Monk said:
second exodous said:

Apparently, they ran out of boards recently, and MWeston and ED don't go back home until Wednesday/Thursday. Since they supposedly had 1000 cases, this is probably exactly what they will be doing - fixing up the remaining 300 cases ready for new PCBs to arrive. With Craig taking a break Thursday-Sunday inclusive, I don't know if the case fixing will be finished or continue on Monday, but they don't seem to be scratching around looking for something to do.

Correction - although Craig said they ran out of boards, he's also now said that they have bult 400 Pandoras total. So there's plenty of work to do, it would seem, esp. as theya re taking some time off from Wednesday night to Monday.

Back