Release Commercial apps now accepted in the repo.

Ok, so I just purchased and downloaded my first commercial PND via the repo. (not that I have a pandora to play it on at the moment but that's neither here nor there)

Two things of note:

The Paypal page wasn't in English when I got there, I had to manually change it to English using the drop down in the corner. I'm not sure if this is because of the repo settings or because of the way Blackcurtain set up paypal or the application settings, but I found it somewhat odd as its never happened to me before.

When I clicked the link to take me back to the repo after my transaction was completed I was presented with a notification that the data I was sending would not be encrypted. This is also something I have not encountered before when returning to a site from paypal after a transaction. Some may find it worrying.

- Neelix

It already tracks downloads from clients and the website is it processes the download in the same way for both methods (in effect it streams the file to the end user and marks the download counter when all the data for that app has been transferred).
Ah, I meant for the users "My Downloads" list. It currently only shows what you've downloaded from the site while logged in. Having clients download with user credentials would allow that list to stay up-to-date with whatever's done through the client. Minor feature, but it would be neat.

Would using http POST from the client and storing session info be any less secure or approriate than the browser doing this (as this is how it works by default?)

or would be sending the username and password (encrypted somehow) to autherise the download each time be better?
I suggested digest authentication because it's a standard and reasonably secure means of authentication. Now, I'm not terribly well versed in web technology, so tell me if I'm making stupid assumptions, but there's no such standard for POST logins, is there? Essentially, each site requires a custom username+password POSTing method to log in. That's fine when accessing the site with a browser, but it adds an extra layer of complexity for clients. Digest authentication requires a single header added to each GET request, which the server verifies and responds with either the requested content or a 401 (unauthorized) error. I'd love to hear opposing arguments, but I figure that a single standard that requires no session management would be a better fit for the repo spec.

To make it easier, maybe put the price right next to the Purchase tab?

It's up to Tempel and B-ZaR now to intergrate pay2play into PNDStore and Panorama

Ah, I meant for the users "My Downloads" list. It currently only shows what you've downloaded from the site while logged in. Having clients download with user credentials would allow that list to stay up-to-date with whatever's done through the client. Minor feature, but it would be neat.

Yes indeed that would be a great feature :)

I suggested digest authentication because it's a standard and reasonably secure means of authentication. Now, I'm not terribly well versed in web technology, so tell me if I'm making stupid assumptions, but there's no such standard for POST logins, is there? Essentially, each site requires a custom username+password POSTing method to log in. That's fine when accessing the site with a browser, but it adds an extra layer of complexity for clients. Digest authentication requires a single header added to each GET request, which the server verifies and responds with either the requested content or a 401 (unauthorized) error. I'd love to hear opposing arguments, but I figure that a single standard that requires no session management would be a better fit for the repo spec.

Okidoke I can check out how easy this would be to implement.

:)

Have you gone all PNDstore crazy :) I like it!

To make it easier, maybe put the price right next to the Purchase tab?
It's up to Tempel and B-ZaR now to intergrate pay2play into PNDStore and Panorama

Yes I will probably move the price :)

I agree come temple and b-zar :) *cracks whip*

The Paypal page wasn't in English when I got there, I had to manually change it to English using the drop down in the corner. I'm not sure if this is because of the repo settings or because of the way Blackcurtain set up paypal or the application settings, but I found it somewhat odd as its never happened to me before.
It's not the repo settings when I paid for it, the page was in English. But that can be adjusted on the PayPal side so it could just be back curtains PayPal settings.

It's not the repo settings when I paid for it, the page was in English. But that can be adjusted on the PayPal side so it could just be back curtains PayPal settings.

You CAN force PayPal to a certain language. It's what I did with the Pandora preorders.

To make it even more easy, In the Overview Windows on the frontpage (fav, latest apps etc...) commercial Apps could have a different background colour or another indication that shows instantly if an app is free or has to be payed. :)

Will paypal and/or the credit card company nail you with a currency conversion charge if the buyer and seller use different currencies?
No, not as far as im aware.

Update:

I have made the title of the commerical apps different colour (at least on the home page and the big list page).

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: also added a filter for commercial apps in the BIG LIST, under the release type filter just click the dollar symbol :)

It's an honor to be the first commercial developer and publisher for Pandora, and hopefully more developers will follow so that the Pandora can get more quality games and more attention.

Soon "Skylark" will follow in Arora Rift's tracks and also be available through the repository.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's excellent news :) I hope bringing a commercial option to the Pandora brings with it more possibilities.

Update:

I have made the title of the commerical apps different colour (at least on the home page and the big list page).
Looking good. :)

that's excellent news :) I hope bringing a commercial option to the Pandora brings with it more possibilities.
I hope the general quality of Software raises with the commercial apps, especialy when it comes to updates/bug fixes or general maintaining. ^^

well with such a small community compared to the iOS android community's I doubt its worth the developers time release poor apps at a charge as in the end they will not recover much revenue from it.

only time will tell though.

Here's something that's crossed my mind a bit. Why not only let "companies" release commercial software? I mean, the only way to set up a PayPal account for paid software, is if it transfers funds to an INC, GMBH, LTD or the like? This way, the Repo wouldn't be flooded with random crap for 0.99 in the future, but it would still provide a market for commercial software. And the Pandora would still kind of keep the idea of only having to pay for the hardware once, and not constantly being forced into paying more after that t.o use it properly. So if a dev wants to make money off his software, they would need to establish a company behind it and pay their taxes for it and whatnot.

I was just thinking "hmmm that might scare milkshake off, having to keep track of what forms of company exist in nearly 200 countries' legal system".

Well, the issue is: You don't need to be a company to legally sell games.

In germany, you can sell what you want and earn what you want, as long as you file taxes for it properly, you don't need to fund a company, so I don't see any reason for that restriction.

(in fact, I guess most small indie game developers are NO company).

Well, the issue is: You don't need to be a company to legally sell games.

In germany, you can sell what you want and earn what you want, as long as you file taxes for it properly, you don't need to fund a company, so I don't see any reason for that restriction.

(in fact, I guess most small indie game developers are NO company).
That's news for me. You can make money here in germany without bureaucracy nightmares like funding a GmbH or going to a million Government agencys? :D

Back