Come Get Some :)

Great stuff Woogal!

Is this the uncompressed fxe? I had problems with that when the compressed one works :huh:

But hey! I'll give this a go too :)

Sonic-NKT posted on Oct 15 2005 at 09:53 AM said:
how to convert the sounds?
try this thread ;)
Basically you need to ungroup the samples from the .grp file, resample them, then regroup them back in using the kextract & kgroup tools

Last edited by a moderator:
ok bt how to resample them, what format are they in. What program to use. what about if someone who knows how this works makes a compatible shareware pack. would be very cool!

resampling is actuelly pretty simple, extract the vocs, convert them to wav (winamp is great for it), convert them to 11025hz (winamp can do that while converting, look at discout plugin settings), convert to voc, repack them.

For extracting/packing game extractor is great http://www.watto.org/extract/
Winamp http://www.winamp.com/
For wav to voc use "convert" the commandline is CONVERT.EXE -voc xxxx.wav
For easy batch converting get a list of the files by dir *.wav > list.txt than open the file and insert convert.exe -voc in front of evry filenmae, you can do that simply by search/replace.

However there are stillsome problems with the sound, but iam sure woogal will fix them.

I have uploaded a ready made shareware grp for woogal some time ago, however iam not sure if this one is right as i have uploaded some different versions. Download

The fxe works, but no sound
so... what should the FXDevice in the .cfg be set to?
Currently is 13

Thanks for the more detailed explanation than I could give Vimacs :)

When i convert .voc to .wav using winamp I have numbers right before my files

"ANNOY03.VOC"

become

"016_ANNOY03.wav"

It's REALLY annoying :angry: help ! :lol:

Vimacs, does it work for you ? I have a reset after the "10 seconds white loading screen" :lol:

My original duke3d.grp was 48224ko and the modified one is 49072ko

My sound config :

[Sound Setup]
;
;
FXDevice = 0
MusicDevice = 13
FXVolume = 220
MusicVolume = 200
NumVoices = 8
NumChannels = 2
NumBits = 1
MixRate = 11000
MidiPort = 0x330
BlasterAddress = 0x220
BlasterType = 3
BlasterInterrupt = 5
BlasterDma8 = 1
BlasterDma16 = 5
BlasterEmu = 0x620
ReverseStereo = 0

Thanx for your help :)

Set MixRate to 11025, 22050, or 44100 otherwise you'll get a reboot.
NumBits should be 8.
I think the FXDevice can be anything less than 13, but I always use 0 (13=no sound card).
If you convert your own .voc's and don't use the file vimacs posted then I think you have to make sure they still convert to vocs and not wavs.

It Woooooorks !!! :lol: I just had to change "numbits" and "mixrate" in my sound config to make it works :) The game seems a little slower with sound but it still marvellous :lol:

Thanx a lot woogal ! B)

(happiest man in the world for 10 min :lol: )

Edit - (atomic version)

Vimacs, the link to convert.exe is broken. Please can you give another one ?

Regards ... RST

Awesome Woogal !!
i tried that last version of the port and it works so cool now and with sfx sound :))
At the time i saw the game works with good speed. I only see an anomaly at time. I see, in the screen, some noise vertical and moving bars, is hard to see but that bars are moving by sides, can you try to fix that problem ? I think is something with the refresh rate or some....

Vimacs, thx a lot for all your help with the files, but please, can you write a complete tutorial to how to convert the sounds ? because i want to convert all sounds from atomic edition. For some reason i must put the sound of the gp32 to the full and the level of it not is so high. <-- Maybe is needed a conversion with a good sfx editor to put the level more high ?

... RST

Ok I can get the girlie sounding duke grp running on my Blu with the new fxe, I have Game extractor and Gold wave already on my pc.

But when I unarchived the .grp in game extractor the files are already 11025khz .voc files? Eh? Now this is a cd version of atomic .grp, so I go ahead and do the conversion with gold wave anyway and recompile the archive. But Duke still sounds squeeky and on helium.
:blink:
Weird I haven't a clue whats going on.

Vimacs, can you show us too howto setup the buttons to play ? thx

I can get it to play, but sound don't come on. Could somebody post a working cfg?

Edit: Nevermind, I was using the wrong FXE. I just realized both are on my SMC due to Woogal's slight change in the filename. So it works now, but I have to convert the vocs so the Duke can get his balls back :lol:

Oh God... Duke sounds like Popeye when he says "Hmm...Don't have time to play with myself" :eek:

rst posted on Oct 16 2005 at 07:00 PM said:
Vimacs, can you show us too howto setup the buttons to play ? thx
the key mappings are in the first post, jsut edit your cfg.

about loudness, did you check the options in duke? or maybe you turned the volume down while converting? couse here its fine.

Morgantium thats realy wierd, did you check if your rate in the cfg is set to 11025hz?
Oh and are you sure that all files are 10025hz? some files seem to be 10025 by default. but not all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back