Gpquake 0.5

gpQuake is ported from the latest pocketquake code, so it has always contained all the converted stuff that the PPC version has (which is only selected bits of code - there is still lots of floating point stuff left in there)

Just a question, how big is the PAK1 file?
I have gotten the first PAK file to 14.1 megs with compressions, but I am lost on the second pak file size
I only Have a 32 meg card so Ill need to ration space untill I can master GPLinux with all the stuff Ive bought

and, there are a few bot programs for quake, but I dont know if they will work with this
I hope there is some way I can get a Allied unit to be made during the single player mod I am making, I need people that are on my team and attack the enemy to make the game that much better

~Octavious

well, double here, but can someone post a link that works, all of the mirrors say " sry, the mirror dosnt have that file, this is our problem, select other mirrir "\
not a damn one hase a working DL
any help?

EDIT
sry for the double, and I got the file from the GP32x server, glad to see that a lot better these days than it used to be
good work Axeman!

~Octavious

I'm having problems getting the files in my registered version of GL Quake working on GP. GL doesn't actually come with .pak files, rather, the files are in their unpacked state... I used some third party software to pack into a .pak, and ended up with a file like 50mb big. Named that pak1.pak and put that on the GP, started up gp quake, got thru all the menus but the gp reboots when gameplay is supposed to start. Would this be a problem with the size of the .pak file? This sux because it's one of the few games that can be played on the GP that I actually have a registered version that I paid for but I still can't use it.

Ive got GLQuake also... I only use the shareware for now....
anyways, what version of Quake is GP Quake based off of?
GL , winquake , what?
I want to know what console commands use what to make the game look better ( i dont care about a speed drop ) and to help find more options for turbo mode

thx

o ya, it works better if you dont compress the PAK files , the only thing you can take out anymore is the DEMO files

~Octavious

ok, thx

will normal quake and winwuake console command work in it then?
theoreticly, if so, I plan on pumping up the quality a lot higher just to see how good it looks, to see it this is what I want for my mods, or if I should wait a bit still

~Octavious

ok, thx

will normal quake and winwuake console command work in it then?
theoreticly, if so, I plan on pumping up the quality a lot higher just to see how good it looks, to see it this is what I want for my mods, or if I should wait a bit still

~Octavious
Most commands should work. A few don't, but they're mainly the demo commands (demo stuff is disabled because it's unstable). The way quake is written, the majority of the game code is almost identical between the different ports, and usually small things are just added or tweaked to improve performance or quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
cool
since its based on winQuake, that gives me alot more room to work with level wise, it should allow me to " excesorize " more
and, I plan on using Anti-Aliasing and higher res models and backrounds too, damn, cant wait for my chatboard to arrive

now If I can only master making a damn entity model....

also, edit
How do I get a set of console commands to automaticly run each time I start up?
I want to see what I can do before I get the Chatboard...
could you please tell, me, I almost NEED to know
thx

~Octavious

do you think GLQuake commands will work? I wont try them until I get the chatboard

okay but does anyone know how I can get the full game working on my GP then, using the files I have? I didn't try to compress or remove anything I has no idea what was essential or what wasn't. I just turned all the seperate files in the id1 folder into one .pak file and named it pak1.pak. By the way the software I used to make the .pak file is called adquedit. The pak file it creates was 54mb big :blink:

What is the maximum size the pak file can be before it just wont work? Is the fact that it was so large the reason why it didn't work?

EDIT: one other thing slightly off topic... when I run GL quake in windows, the game is very dark, and for some reason adjusting the brightness thru the options menu has no effect... anyone know another way I can adjust the brightness?

dont know, I cant change the screen size in mine, its set to 640x480 and the screen is VERY off to the right, but I just use shareware
I dont know, maybe ebay for Quake

~Octavious

okay but does anyone know how I can get the full game working on my GP then, using the files I have? I didn't try to compress or remove anything I has no idea what was essential or what wasn't. I just turned all the seperate files in the id1 folder into one .pak file and named it pak1.pak. By the way the software I used to make the .pak file is called adquedit. The pak file it creates was 54mb big :blink:
Just try copying over the id1 folder as it is. Mods don't need to be stored as pak files so I'd guess the original game doesn't need the files as pak's either.

where do I put this .cfg file??
and, are you using 8 bit mode for the sounds?
Put it in the id1 folder, or if you're running a mod put it in the mod folder.
All sounds are mono 8bit 11025hz.

Speaking of which, a linux command I'm using to test something for the next release is -
'mpg123 --8bit -r 11025 -m -w 1.wav "Nine Inch Nails - 01 - Head Like a Hole.mp3"' ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
could you post a small example of text ( like 3 lines ) of console commands in the .cfg file so I know what to put them in ( arangement wise ) ( and how to type them so I dont just get a funky useless file )
also, does the .cfg just come from a renamed textfile?
thx so much

~Octavious

well, GP dosnt like some of my ideas, looks nice tho
well, thx
Im gonna keep playing around with this abit

~Octavious

he he
got my map to load, I just had to put it into the pak0.pak file, and use the load map
well, off to mapping now!
THX so much woogal!

edit
managed to get Quake aliens to run, but not for long, and Its not all I hoped for...

edit again
Personally woogal, I dont think we need music
WE have sound, and thats good enough for me right now
I will proboly still play with sound disabled ocasionaly so I can play in my uber mode and get more than 6 or so frames
also, I found the command for the dev mode I was talking about, so Ill try 'er out when I get my chatboard

ive played right through aliens quake on the gp, on a earlier quake gp release, youre right though, it aint too good.

hmm.... I didnt get to far, but my whole damn GP is actin up, stupid thing...

but, hey, I can play some shareware quake and it LOOKS FANTASTIC!
when I get a chatboard I am going to take screenshots and post them about my project
I want to make a HALO and a Half Life Modbut when I tried either of them, the engine was to slow and I couldnt do much
now, all I need to learn is how to model corectly!

~Octavious

Okay I'll try to throw the entire id1 folder onto my GP as it is without turning it into a pak file. Turning it into a pak file doesn't make it any smaller anyways.

Also I just thought of something... maybe part of why it didn't work is that, I already had pak0.pak (shareware) on the SMC, and then thru all the contents of the GL quake files on there as pak1... but I think all the contents of pak0 are already on there as well as this game ran as it was w/o needing a seperate pak 0... hope that makes sense, basically I was probably doubling up on the files in pak0, might also account for why the file was so big at 50+mb. Well, taking my wife out for her birthday right now so I'll have to try this again later but thanks for the tip Woogal!

Back