Gpquake 0.5

Its not true anti-aliasing, its the precursor to it, but its way to damn slow
I get 3-7 frames with sound disabled
but, great for screenshots

HEY WOOGAL , read this
Ive realized that the memory dump size is 5.3 megs, am I right?
If so, can we boost it to like 6 or 7 something? Im gettin a hell of a lot of RAM warnings
also, in turbo mode, you know you have the gfx set to 0? I think the value should be like 3 or 4 , unless I am wrong again
or, was that my GPLauncher for Quake putting it at 0 ??
When I get my chatboard Ill playaround with this some more
well, cant wait to get to work on some maps, cant wait for the next update already ,Woogal you rock

~Octavious

Ive realized that the memory dump size is 5.3 megs, am I right?
If so, can we boost it to like 6 or 7 something? Im gettin a hell of a lot of RAM warnings
Nope. 5.3MB is all thats available for maps/textures etc (the value isn't fixed - quake just grabs as much as it can). The rest of the memory is taken up with the actual game code.
also, in turbo mode, you know you have the gfx set to 0? I think the value should be like 3 or 4 , unless I am wrong again
or, was that my GPLauncher for Quake putting it at 0 ??
Do you mean d_mipcap? That's set by changing the detail level, not turbo.

Last edited by a moderator:
right, cause I kept mine in high and put on turbo to get a config file
OK, that explains that
Real quick, what do you have planned for the next release?

~Octavious

when I run GL quake in windows, the game is very dark, and for some reason adjusting the brightness thru the options menu has no effect... anyone know another way I can adjust the brightness?
get a modern quake-client that manages gamma correctly (telejano, dark places, fuhquake, tenebrae) or get the idgamma tool to get a pak with a modified (brighter) palette

hey Woogal, when I run in no sound, does it load the sounds into the memory or not?
If so, maybe we could do a precache 1 with nosound 1 and free some ram?

~Octavious

Awesome work! Quake is now truly playable on the GP!

I get about 9-15fps on fullscreen (not doubled), very high detail, @ 166MHz.

People's eyes already drop out of their heads when I show them Doom, all the emulators, or a DivX movie.. can't wait to show em Quake now. :D

I have noticed NO difference in FPS when I run the game in Very High or Very Low detail. I've tested this in several places and get no difference in framerate at all.

nope there really isnt
but, its so much better to run atleast in high detail

~Octavious

to celebrate the fact that there really isn't any difference between low and high detail,but that it's so much better to run it in high detaiil, here's a pic:-

pic.jpg

:S I thought low detail was the setting that made it go at 20fps...

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 147
Real quick, what do you have planned for the next release?
There will hopefully be a version out this weekend with cd audio emulation (I know no-one is really bothered about this, but I wanted something fun to play with ;)). After that I need to try and fix the save game corruption, but that might take a long time to get sorted.

hey Woogal, when I run in no sound, does it load the sounds into the memory or not?
If so, maybe we could do a precache 1 with nosound 1 and free some ram?
The console command nosound 1 will stop all sounds from being loaded into memory. You don't need to worry about precache if you're setting nosound 1 (precache is only used for samples, so if they're disabled the precache command is ignored).

ok
well, just a note, GPQuake corrupted my last SMC once I had 3 saves
things just stopped working
Its all better now, reformat and all, so I don't care , just thought that might help ya

~Octavious

ok
well, just a note, GPQuake corrupted my last SMC once I had 3 saves
things just stopped working
Its all better now, reformat and all, so I don't care , just thought that might help ya

~Octavious
Yeah, I saw your post about that in the other thread. Are you sure it was quake that caused the corruption? SMC's usually get corrupted if the gp32 is switched off while an app is saving (can be any app, not just quake). I've had quake corrupt single save files quite often, but I've never had it cause corruption to other files (apart from one time when the batteries died while saving).

no, I saved in GPBook and then I read some more ( I have all console commands in a txt on my gp lol ) then I shut it off
I was havving problems a little before hand too, with PC-Link, right after my first save and right after I put the autoexe.cfg thing

~Octavious

No, seriously, just always run it in Very High detail there's no point not to, obviously it looks the best, and trust me I tested the hell out if it and didnt' even see ONE FPS lost for this. I'm baffled, but hey all the better right? Woogal any idea why it works like that?

I still haven't gotten a chance to test the full game :(

No, seriously, just always run it in Very High detail there's no point not to, obviously it looks the best, and trust me I tested the hell out if it and didnt' even see ONE FPS lost for this. I'm baffled, but hey all the better right? Woogal any idea why it works like that?
I test differences in fps by walking straight ahead through the first teleport, then turning 180 to face it again (by looking towards a wall you will get a higher fps, and the higher it is the easier it is to see slight differences). From that point I can notice a 0.5 fps difference between very high and very low details. You are right though, there's no real point not to use very high detail.

Just got around to trying this new build, and I have to say, I am extremely impressed. :D

Thanks, Woogal!

If the GP can play Quake this well, I refuse to believe we can't have near perfect SNES emulation.

Woogal, I saved my game on the beginning of the third level of the first episode of Quake, and my save didn't load right. When I loaded it, all the items and enemies were missing in the level and then it came up with an error.. I forget what it said, but I could load the save again and see.

Tell me if you want me to.

Back