But there is one hope.
They are coming to rescue the species.

The Cheetahmen run off . . . .
. . . . and now . . . .
. . . . the Cheetahmen

I would much rather...
... Castrate all males!

Problem solved.
The more "civilised" countries already have a negative population growth and are tending more and more to favouring sustainability (although very slowly), the human producers which are flooding the whole planet blindly with lots of people are most likely the ones you wouldn't reach/catch.

You need surprisingly little space to store all humans away (current world population fits in New Zealand at Manhattan density (source: WaitButWhy).

It is food production which takes a very large area of space and which is also most killing to habitats of all kinds of animals. Since those animals also tend to be drawn to sources of food production the risk of getting killed to protect livestock also increases significantly.

The problem is that even if we were to greatly reduce the amount of space needed for food production (e.g. through hydroponics, vertical farming, etc.) then we will likely witness a boom in population growth as a consequence.

If we truly want to protect these animals then we either need a business model for farming them (the cow won't go extinct soon, though several specific breeds have) or we need to allocate parts of the world where no man may live and nature is left to run its course. Naturally the rich countries who have killed off all their own nature will point to poor countries to sacrifice their territory, since it is always easier to spend the money of another.

You need even less space to store people if you get rid of all that space in the atoms ;)

BTW, I don't think buffalo is extinct. The European wisent if a type of buffalo that's only just threatened, but every other variety I just checked is in good health.

Back