U. S. 2008 Election Thread

DaveC said:
Magic Sam said:
Hi,

I'm just popping in to say CONGRATULATIONS to all Americans voters here :)

The first time I've heard about Obama I thought "this guy has not even a chance to become President because he's Black and Americans are a bunch of racists" ;)

I'm glad I've been wrong about you :)

Bye, Magic Sam

I know what you mean. Even though I am an American when I heard that Obama was running I thought to myself : "this guy has not even a chance to become President because he's Black and Americans are a bunch of racists" :lol:

What is even more amazing is that Obama's father was a MUSLIM and his middle name is HUSSEIN. I thought there is no way this guy has a chance. A black guy with a middle name as in Saddam HUSSEIN, a last name with one letter different than "Osama" as in Bin Laden. This time we chose hope over fear, temperment over bluster, pragmatism over flash. Obama didn't just eke out a slim win, he won in a near landslide.

Already I hear of nations that were alienated by Bush's arrogance and hubris looking forward to dialogue with Obama and the USA to talk peace over war and solve problems with diplomacy. I also know of Obama as he is a senator in my state. His willingness to make peace and show respect to other nations is real, not just a campaign slogan.

I guess there is hope for America yet. I can be proud of my country again. Goodbye neocons...

I felt exactly the same as you. Man I was so surprised when he won, I honestly thought that nobody would "vote for a terrorist!" Honestly, I had become somewhat ashamed of living in America due to the image it has around the world, not to mention I live where a bunch of racist, ignorant people live. But Obama could definitely mend America's image somewhat as long as he is in office two terms and the Republicans don't get elected in 2012.

He has reinvigorated my hope for America, and I thank him for that.

Ironically, my preacher and tons of students at my high school are now "worried for the country" and say that "he is going to take down all of the churches because he is Muslim." I just don't get it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Metalwario64 said:
Ironically, my preacher and tons of students at my high school are now "worried for the country" and say that "he is going to take down all of the churches because he is Muslim." I just don't get it...
He's not muslim, why can't anybody seem to realise that?

jakshep2 said:
Metalwario64 said:

That's exactly, what Metalwario64 wanted to point out ;)

DaveC said:
I hope I am wrong but all indicators don't look good.
I agree things look just awful. Really bad, and I'm scared for myself as well as the nation at large. But I'm going to try to stay hopeful.

As for blame - I think everyone is to blame. From the wall street fat cat pirates, to the corporate pigs raping their own workforce, to the little guy using too many credit cards, to the poor folk who took mortgages they really never could afford in the long run. And yes, Bush for the war that I've finally come to see as a mistake after years of being unsure, and for his general incompetence at the nation's helm.

Yet, somehow I think things will get better. I don't know why but I do. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope I'm right. The stocks and job reports certainly don't support my belief. Maybe it's wishful thinking, maybe it's faith in my fellow man. But this is still a very rich, very powerful nation. And even the greediest rich bastards know they can't continue to rape a dead country.

mali said:
jakshep2 said:
Metalwario64 said:

That's exactly, what Metalwario64 wanted to point out ;)

Correct.

Heck, even all of the students at my school say crap like "He is going to make us all Muslims" or "He will make every non-Muslim into slaves" and crap like that.

The guy goes to church, and even then they still don't understand. I am just glad that the election has proven that those who think like that are in the vast minority.

From the Tao Te Ching, verse 61...
When a country obtains great power,
it becomes like the sea
all streams run downward into it.
The more powerful it grows,
the greater the need for humility.
Humility means trusting the Tao,
thus never needing to be defensive.

A great nation is like a great man:
When he makes a mistake, he realizes it.
Having realized it, he admits it.
Having admitted it, he corrects it.
He considers those who point out his faults
as his most benevolent teachers.
He thinks of his enemy as the shadow that he himself casts.

If a nation is centered in the Tao,
if it nourishes its own people
and doesn't meddle in the affairs of others,
it will be a light to all nations in the world.

There have been too many flames already, could the mods please lock this after a few more posts (I don't want the last word). Chronotriggerfan, alterdimension: I bear you no ill will, we just disagree profoundly about some stuff, if you are ever in Scotland I'll buy you a beer. This is a forum for open gaming consoles, let's not play out global rivalries in miniature.

I've deleted my flame :) Don't close it, who knows where this thread might go. I've a very positive feeling after reading the last few posts.

mali said:
I've deleted my flame :) Don't close it, who knows where this thread might go. I've a very positive feeling after reading the last few posts.
I agree. I bear no ill will to you as well. I'm glad we are ending on a positove note. Hey, if any are in the country, I'll invite you over for a round of mario cart 64. :)

Klepto said:
it becomes like the sea

That is just beautiful, thank you for sharing Klepto.

mali said:
Don't close it, who knows where this thread might go. I've a very positive feeling after reading the last few posts.

Yes, I agree. I must confess I was very drunk when I posted, and probably a little too worried this would descend into a flamewar :rolleyes:

Bare_Rock_Obama.jpg

I made it in school. :)

CronoTriggerfan said:
Username said:
raven said:
You brought up that the USA would save a lot of money if it was isolationist. While it is true the USA spends a lot of money on foreign aid, a large sum is going to countries like Israel, Egypt and Pakistan and are actually seen as contributions to oppressing countries/regimes (just like the US used to support Hussein) and are given in the form of military aid.
Can't forget Indonesia.

You kids are kidding, right? Of all the good the US has done for the world, which is more than any other nation in the history of the world, you're going to nitpick that shit? Name me one country that's done more good for the world than America. Exactly, you can't.

I'm not even going to respond to the rest of your comment due to one fatal mistake: by my saying Can't forget Indonesia, I wasn't implying that Indonesia gives foreign aid to other countries, I was trying to say that the US spends a huge amount of aid money on Indonesia.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
That is almost as funny as the first thread you made.
Never quite reach that level of hilarity again, sadly.

excellent.

Klepto said:
it becomes like the sea

This is a forum for open gaming consoles, let's not play out global rivalries in miniature.

That sums it up perfectly.

Your last statement though I don't agree with, as we are in the "off topic" section :p

Back