[Cancelled] Aluminium cases are NOT being made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there's no love for Apple around here but in my fanboy days the coloured plastic cases of the eMate, iMac and iBook were (to me) the ducks guts. And it wasn't just Apple, lots of devices used that style and it was awesome (IMO). I know a lot of people think it looks cheap and I can appreciate that, but I've been trying to find devices that show love for translucent case design ever since. Things just look more awesome when they're translucent.
tumblr_mn8dtqH5m61qdwogbo1_500.png
transparent09.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
massagepad.jpg
HPSbhRG.jpg

I also think for a device like the Pandora -being so open and DIY in its nature- there is a statement made by making the device completely transparent. The medium is the message, as they say.

I'm not threatened by the sharp edge, but I do appreciate the aesthetic of a convex filleted inner lip. Not a big deal, but its a nice idea.

As for 3d software my expertise is more on the pretty pictures side than it is CAD/CAM, but I have done some 3d Printing. I swear by Sketchup for low detail stuff. Something like this requires more elegance I bet. I'm not sure what format your contact will require for these but the case files are in STI format so I would say something like AutoDesk 123D would be okay (I've never used it) or FreeCAD (also never used). If you can track it down a paid program like AutoDesk Inventor or the like will have all the bells and whistles to make changes without damaging the mesh. It might be best to just use the original files and not modify them too much. I'm not sure though.

I really hope you can make this happen, but I'm trying to keep my hype levels low.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've given up the Aluminum case quest.  Now, I just want a simle high quality plastic case that won't crack sitting by itself for my Pandoras.  Black would be just fine.

If you guys are really interested I might be able to get an assortment of different materials from different kinds of printers (ABS, PLA, Some Nylon stuff etc.) 

But it might take me a while to save up enough for all the materials. I'll keep you guys posted for sure, the first models will 100% be in clear/translucent materials like above. (Unless you want other colors.)

That's actually a really good looking design. I like the color scheme. I can get any part any color, so if you wanted the buttons to be a separate color or whatever. The only thing I probably won't be able to do is change the keymat since it's silicon. I might be able to get a nylon one made, but I would need those little black conductive pieces under the keys.

*edit, I REALLY, REally, like that slogan. 

I'm going to put that somewhere embedded in the plastic.. "Hack the Planet!" 

Maybe Under the Pandora Logo. 

Which software do you guys used for 3D Models?
Thats only the "display colours" of the raw 3D CAD files from ED, these are used to separate diffetent case parts. No intention to have such (ugly) colours in real. :D I'm happy with the black Pandora. I'm not a fan of transparent cases anyways.You can check for yourself, download ED's Case CAD files (the single .sat file is important) and load it into an CAD program like the free "123D Design" I used for these screenshots.

If you guys are really interested I might be able to get an assortment of different materials from different kinds of printers (ABS, PLA, Some Nylon stuff etc.) 

But it might take me a while to save up enough for all the materials. I'll keep you guys posted for sure, the first models will 100% be in clear/translucent materials like above. (Unless you want other colors.)
There are indeed interesting 3D printable Materials out there, even wood-like stuff and strong nylon/kevlar. :)

I know there's no love for Apple around here but in my fanboy days the coloured plastic cases of the eMate, iMac and iBook were (to me) the ducks guts. And it wasn't just Apple, lots of devices used that style and it was awesome (IMO). I know a lot of people think it looks cheap and I can appreciate that, but I've been trying to find devices that show love for translucent case design ever since. Things just look more awesome when they're translucent.
I like Apple, just not what they have been doing for a decade or so.  I love old Apple, and even the stuff from the era you are talking about is nice in my eyes.  I have never been very fond of their price, and they are not the only company charging more because of their reputation.  Actually, some of their newer laptops are metal cased, and I like that.  The look isn't horrible, either.  That is about where my appreciation ends, though.  But I do LOVE the Apple IIe, as well as the others in the II series and the original, so there's some Apple love for you.  Back then they seemed to love their customers, and were more of a pro-hacker company than what they later became.

I've given up the Aluminum case quest.  Now, I just want a simle high quality plastic case that won't crack sitting by itself for my Pandoras.  Black would be just fine.
I would also like to be able to carry mine in my pocket without needing to be too concerned.  I try not to be, but I still  make sure nothing will harm it. I have never risked sitting on it like I saw ED doing in a picture. 

I think there is some ABS that is pretty durable against a wide variety of assaults.  The stuff Nintendo used for the first handful of Game Boys seemed pretty good.  Clear is fine, black is fine, translucent "Extreme Green" is fine as long as it doesn't cost too much, but I would only be interested if they didn't cost too much and were far more durable/less brittle than both versions of Pandora cases.

I would still love a tougher case for my Pandora. I'm afraid one day I'll drop it or bump into something while it's in my pocket, breaking the device in two...
That is what I mean.  It hasn't happened yet, but I worry that it will when I pocket carry.

I like Apple, just not what they have been doing for a decade or so
I like Apple, it's their fanbase I can't stand. :p
Well, when groups of humans come together over a shared similar interest/idea it can become...interesting.  I don't mean that in a good way, and it applies more to other groups than Apple fans, which are just a convenient and amusing target for other groups of humans to group together over their mutual dislike of the other group.  It is when things like that happen that it begins to get bad.  Again, it applies more to other groups than those that aren't fond of Apple fans.  Despite the potentially harmful outcomes, I think this whole thing is funny, and even more funny are those that participate without awareness of these things.  That is why the anti-Apple fanboy crowd are a good thing, as I don't recall hearing any stories of them taking it into grim territory.  (I attempted to lighten the tone of this because it is pretty funny to me, but it seems all that I have done is made it seem even more serious.  I hate words sometimes.)

I think it would be more accurate for me to have said "I don't like modern Apple".

That is why the anti-Apple fanboy crowd are a good thing, as I don't recall hearing any stories of them taking it into grim territory
"The Wave" was an anti-Apple "campaign" with the potential for disasterous results and I was firmly against it from the start, warning against it every chance I got.That thing about an OS upgrade making the iPhone waterproof? Hilarious, and hopefully a lot of people learned valuable lessons. Damaging, but it's only stuff, money solves that problem. Easier solved for some than others but still, eventually solved.

Convincing people to put their phone in the microwave? That can kill someone. The phone can spark, explode, burn down the house and kill both ignorant and innocent alike. I hated it, it was terrifying, and I hope whoever came up with it learned their own important lesson.

Sorry for the offtopic but, the Pyra will improve the plastics?
It's an entirely different case manufacturer a European company vs Chinese, one that is willing to work with EvilDragon on design choices. My guess the outcome will be better.

That is why the anti-Apple fanboy crowd are a good thing, as I don't recall hearing any stories of them taking it into grim territory
"The Wave" was an anti-Apple "campaign" with the potential for disasterous results and I was firmly against it from the start, warning against it every chance I got.
That thing about an OS upgrade making the iPhone waterproof? Hilarious, and hopefully a lot of people learned valuable lessons. Damaging, but it's only stuff, money solves that problem. Easier solved for some than others but still, eventually solved.

Convincing people to put their phone in the microwave? That can kill someone. The phone can spark, explode, burn down the house and kill both ignorant and innocent alike. I hated it, it was terrifying, and I hope whoever came up with it learned their own important lesson.
I forgot about that.  I kinda doubt people are seriously stupid enough to believe it (don't point at twitter/facebook or videos and tell me people were being serious...I don't believe it, and what sort of self-respecting person would then go and put their stupidity on display other than to warn others?).  

You are absolutely correct about it being potentially dangerous.  That is nothing compared to other stuff I had in mind (just think of all the bad that has come from religion, and still causes daily problems/death for people around the world).  The Wave is a perfect example of those taking part in causing bad stuff to (possibly) happen based on a shared dislike of something without being aware of the bad they are doing ("I just linked my friend to a page, I didn't think it would explode and they would take shrapnel and get burned on the face").

Sorry for the offtopic but, the Pyra will improve the plastics?
It's an entirely different case manufacturer a European company vs Chinese, one that is willing to work with EvilDragon on design choices. My guess the outcome will be better.
It would be nice if we could get some new cases from them, although I understand it will not happen.  I would rather have the Pyra get that attention.  Once the Pyra is out my Pandora will probably just be used for around the house gaming and little projects...I really need to take a closer look at some of the stuff Canseco ported so I can use it for music.

Hi

i have knocked up a few renders of potential colored plastic cases for Pandora -or Pyra future release

would it be possible to contact the  manufacturer of the first Pandora cases and propose that they carry out small batches of the chosen popular colors chosen by forum members.

i particularly like the idea of transparent cases,as per directive0 comments.

Can i please ask what has happened to the molds that were used to make the original Pandora cases? are they still in existence and are they in a workable condition from a production standpoint?

please forgive my ignorance if these questions have been answered before, i must have missed em.

kindest regards

regards

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zpqkrruwuhhsov8/AADbihWp88LxwysXSYglpGcma?dl=0

Isn't the original case company gone?  I don't think I would want a new one from them anyway unless they could ensure it wouldn't be as brittle as the ones we already have.

Did ed already release the designs for the pandora's case? It is now completely open? I thought I saw a post like that awhile back.. if so if somebody could just take those designs and 3D print them... I personally like the idea of 3D printing in wood.. Sounds a bit insane but I've seen some nice stuff done with it.

hero-bamboo-sm.jpg

A little bit of sanding some staining with rye dye in a few places... and we could have a nice looking interesting case.. and if somebody is willing to 3D print quality cases I'd be interested in picking one up.

Now if i could get a case in brass then i'd be happy.. but that'll never happen.

hi

If the original case company is no longer in existence then what happed to the  tooling?

should we could get our hands on the tooling we could modify it to improve the tolerances and approach a European company for production.

i know of a company that will gladly do small production runs and even has their own tooling devision here in the UK.

With regards to 3D printing of the case,the 3d models that evil dragon released would need to be heavily modified for our low resolution 3d printers on the market at this moment in time.

3d printing is OK for quick and dirty prototyping,but the tolerances obtained are severely lacking for producing such intricate details that would be required.

regards

The original case company does still exist and they got the molds.

We can transport the molds, but that's going to cost quite a lot of shipping cost (that stuff weighs a ton!)

The original case company does still exist and they got the molds.
Interesting.  I wonder why I thought otherwise.

We can transport the molds, but that's going to cost quite a lot of shipping cost (that stuff weighs a ton!)
Can you think of any reason why they would be useful?  I know you had to get rid of a bunch of cases.

Price of shipping+ small company's ability to use it= Shipping worth.

Small company's pricing on pandora cases and durability, Or variety/ desire for replacement cases that don't break (Number of people willing to buy.) = Product worth.

Product worth/shipping worth.

So the question is HOW many people here are willing to buy a better case for the pandora? I am one of them Depending on the price, or the different plastics. If you gave me the option of clear or coloured plastic with the strength of a GBC Sign me the hell up. It'd be worth the 20-30 dollars to have a case that doesn't crack or break if you leave it sitting on a table.

So the question is How much do we use/ value our pandoras? and are they worth the expense, or preminum of a nice case. People were willing to pay over 100 dollars for an aluminum case.  Would they be willing to pay 1/4  or 1/3 that for a nice sturdy plastic case (I'm hoping for GBC plastic strength) ?

So the bottom line is, How much would it cost to ship the moulds, Can the company use the pre existing moulds with no modifications, if they need to modify them how much does that cost, how is the material? Is it more durable then what we got now? Can do something special, like be coloured, or clear? And the cost, and the MINIMUM number of cases needed to be ordered? We need numbers from HOW many people want these cases first. Then the price of shipping the moulds THEN can the company even use these moulds? THEN whats their plastic like, and THEN the estimated price for a case batch run and what options we got.

Hi

This is fantastic news evildragon ,you are very right those tools are heavy and would cost to get them shipped to Europe.

But dependent on the demand for quality replacement cases we should be able to break even,with regards to shipping and small batch production runs.

i know i would certainly buy a replacement case for my first edition Pandora.

The injection molds would need the tolerances improved by removing  tiny amounts of material form the inner faces of the mold in the areas that are known to be problematic.

Once the tools have been modified and polished we would have some first class replacement shells to protect our treasured Pandoras.

May i suggest that we conduct a poll to gage the interest for replacement cases.and in particular the number of potential color options and quantity

kind regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back