Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

Nova said:
quote said:
Prophet said:
To EvilDragon,

When you say it's analog, do you mean literally analog, or an analog-looking digital stick like that on the original GP32 and NeoGeo Pocket?

Has this been clarified and confirmed yet in this thread? If so, I missed it.

Not that I plan to buy this, either way.
It's analogue. That's been confirmed a number of times :) .

Not officially.

It IS an analogue stick. Confrmed by me.

Last edited:
quote said:
Where's WarmFluffy? She was active at the start of the Wiz, and got a pre-production model IIRC. It seems she's gone over to the Pandora side of things.

Just because someone isn't jumping at this to post doesn't mean they've "gone over to the Pandora side of things." You guys are being way too defensive and paranoid. Chances are best that she's busy with other things right now and probably hasn't even heard of the device since GPH hadn't been promoting it to very many people.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
Nova said:
quote said:
Prophet said:
To EvilDragon,

When you say it's analog, do you mean literally analog, or an analog-looking digital stick like that on the original GP32 and NeoGeo Pocket?

Has this been clarified and confirmed yet in this thread? If so, I missed it.

Not that I plan to buy this, either way.
It's analogue. That's been confirmed a number of times :) .

Not officially.

It IS an analogue stick. Confrmed by me.

Fair enough. I loved the analogue on the Zodiac, so I'm going to reserve my judgement on it until I test it myself.

Exophase said:
quote said:
Where's WarmFluffy? She was active at the start of the Wiz, and got a pre-production model IIRC. It seems she's gone over to the Pandora side of things.

Just because someone isn't jumping at this to post doesn't mean they've "gone over to the Pandora side of things." You guys are being way too defensive and paranoid. Chances are best that she's busy with other things right now and probably hasn't even heard of the device since GPH hadn't been promoting it to very many people.
Lol. I wasn't basing her console preference on here absence here. I was basing it on her recent activity in the Pandora section. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear.
I'm not that 'paranoid' :).

quote said:
Lol. I wasn't basing her console preference on here absence here. I was basing it on her recent activity in the Pandora section. Sorry if my post didn't make that clear.
I'm not that 'paranoid' :) .

Most recent post history:

May 27, Pandora Feedback, more of an administrative thread than a commenting one
May 21, Pacman, off topic
April 27, New Video From Ed: Nubs, closed the thread

Yeah, some recent activity. One thread started a week and a half ago, two days before this thread even, and she's "switched sides", right?

All of you who are using Pandora as a scapegoat explaining any negative commentary towards GPH, or even a lack of commentary entirely, are being unfair and frankly a little pathetic.

Exophase said:
Yeah, some recent activity. One thread started a week and a half ago, two days before this thread even, and she's "switched sides", right?
All of you who are using Pandora as a scapegoat explaining any negative commentary towards GPH, or even a lack of commentary entirely, are being unfair and frankly a little pathetic.
The fuck? Why are you picking my posts apart like this?
WarmFluffyUK said:
I know I am and I have high hopes for the Pandora. This is exciting stuff folks!
Whatever, she's shown some enthusiasm for it. She hasn't for the Caanoo yet. That's why I said "It seems she's gone over to the Pandora side of things".
Also, she's been in direct contact with GPH in the past; I would have thought she'd be one of the first to know about this.
You're looking way too deep into it, I was just making a simple observation. My post did not contain any bitter hate for the Pandora, I don't even hate that side of the forum (hell, I was pretty active there at the start). I'd say you're the pathetic one for picking apart my posts and looking for some drama. Stop it. That's Craig's job.

Edit:
kvypsn.png
She must've seen this thread. My original post was just asking for her viewpoint on it really, seeing as she was so involved in the past.

Nova said:
Enjoy your free Pandora, Exophase :)

I paid for my Pandora, unlike my GP2X's and Wiz, which I got for free.

I'm getting pretty tired of your attitude. You know it COULD be that when people talk about things they don't like regarding a GPH product they're actually being sincere and aren't just part of some conspiracy regarding Pandora.

You talk about fanboys but as far as I'm concerned you're the biggest one posting here.

Exophase said:
Nova said:
Enjoy your free Pandora, Exophase :)

I paid for my Pandora, unlike my GP2X's and Wiz, which I got for free.

I'm getting pretty tired of your attitude. You know it COULD be that when people talk about things they don't like regarding a GPH product they're actually being sincere and aren't just part of some conspiracy regarding Pandora.

You talk about fanboys but as far as I'm concerned you're the biggest one posting here.

I was of course kidding, and referring to a little spate a while back in the Pandora forum. Maybe I should have used the wink face instead.

I know there are people who genuinely don't like the Wiz, but a lot of these people haven't ever even used one. And then there is someone like craig who stocked and bigged up the abomination that was the GP2x, but trashtalked the Wiz for most of it's lifespan. I see that you genuinely enjoyed using the Wiz so I am in no means accusing you of foul play. I don't agree with you picking apart quote's post, but whatever.

As far as I'm concerned, the Wiz/Caanoo and the Pandora can co-exist peacefully, but I don't think it will be both on the same board. There are too many unreasonably negative people leaking in from both sides. Note that I keep whatever fanboy rants that I have exclusively to the threads about my chosen console (not that the pandora isn't my chosen console, I just got fed up and cancelled my order. If I see some nice hardware, I might buy one from ED in the future). My point is that I can see a rift forming in the community, and it might be time to go our separate ways soon.

As sad and meaningless as this thread has become, it may actually be an indication of why the community is so vibrant (and probably wouldn't benefit from a split). I mean - can you imagine people getting ruffled feathers over such trivialities on a forum about, say, microwave ovens? We're a passionate bunch :D

Monk said:
As sad and meaningless as this thread has become, it may actually be an indication of why the community is so vibrant (and probably wouldn't benefit from a split). I mean - can you imagine people getting ruffled feathers over such trivialities on a forum about, say, microwave ovens? We're a passionate bunch :D
that made me laugh :D - oh i hate the new dpad they introduced on my microwave oven! they'd rather stay with that oldstyle rotating knob!

Monk said:

What the hell are you saying about Microwaves? YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Orion4874 said:
Wow, all this bickering and animosity! Wait,,,how did I wind up in a PSP forum? ;)
cause a lot of psp owners hopped on the Pandora bandwagon.

j/k

kind of.

SONY said:
Ed, while you're at it, please tell 'em to;-

Use LCD with an LED back-light for the screen

Um Sony, Dude, have you just woke up from hypersleep or something?

They have been using LED backlighting since the 1990's :blink: They haven't used bulbs in handhelds since the Sega Nomad.

EvilDragon said:
The speakers are on the back.

Ah yes the back, I should have known, typical GPH. At least the idiots didn't put the screen on the back :p

And before someone accuses me of GPH bashing I do say I really did like the Wiz. Has the best screen ever for MAME games (a bit small though) really did look arcade-like. I might just buy me a backup now.

I don't get the Caanoo name? Is that like in boat? Maybe they should have named it the Titanic :p

I've been reading this thread for 20 frickin pages, and in my humble estimation, these are the things that should come out of it.

1. GPH new console(Caanoo)-looks pretty cool-no d pad is a bummer. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do like it, hopefully it works great for you-I'm gonna take a pass cuz my Wiz works fine.

2. If you hate your Wiz, fine. I personally love mine, and play it on the train to and from work everyday. Hopefully the developers, who were kind enough to create emulators and/or homebrew games(my new favorite is Warehouse Panic-if you don't have it, get it now!) keep supporting it.

3. I'm also pre-ordered for a Pandora, but as excited as I am about it, I still think I'll use my Wiz.

4. And most importantly, this is a forum for discussing a handheld, not some argument about world peace or who has rights to the Gaza Strip. Is it really worth getting worked up about?

I can't understand why everyone seems to be so much against the new controller without anyone having played with it. ED stated that he hasn't used it for anything but the main menu. How does anyone know it won't be good? As far as looks, I think it looks good and they certainly listened about the buttons. For the information that I know about it, which isn't much, it seems to me that it is to the wiz what the f200 was to the f100. Having said that, I really hope than their next gen console puts a lot of muscle between the wiz line and it. Incremental power was my biggest criticism of the gp2x and again with the wiz (and is exactly why I didn't buy a wiz). I don't want to blow almost 200 on something only incrementally faster than what I have, I want something a few times faster.

Chris

I am not sure if anyone is interested, but PlayAsia just sent me the following advertisement / email newsletter:

News from Korea - The Gp2x family gets a new member the Caanoo! Preorders opening soon!

Create your games and share it with the world, this will all be made possible by Game Park Holding's New Console - Caanoo.

With more RAM and a larger display, you can power up your creations. And with the added Vibration Motor and the G-sensor, you can add all those new dimensions to puzzle solving and combats.

The networking and sharing platform is still the main attraction of the console. Make use of the Wi-Fi connectivity and log on to the Internet, once you have access, you can enjoy your online game with anyone and everyone. The first online game for the Caanoo, "Blood Cross" is currently in development.

Besides logging into online games, you can grab any content you want, such as applications and stand-alone games, off the FunGP, an online application store.

The FunGP is not just a shop, it distributes Software Development Kits (SDK) and tutorials. The site will provide you with game development support and settle the sales remittance matters.

You can put your work on the site and earn money. If gaming is your dream, you can try your hand at it here. The site will be opened in August 2010, be sure to visit it.

The multimedia jukebox and the E-reader functions that exist in the Wiz are still available on the new console, so what you could do with the Caanoo's ancestors, you could do it with that Caanoo and even more!

The console is expected to come at the end of August, more information on it will be released in the next few weeks, so please stay tuned. Preorders are expected to start in June

GP2X Caanoo Game System KOR N/A Announced - Preorders opening soon

Here are the specifications of the console:

CPU ARM9 533MHz + 3D GPU
RAM 128MB
Internal memory 2GB
Display 3.5” LCD 320*240
External memory SD/SDHC
Sensor Vibration Motor / G-Sensor
Dimension 146(w) x 70(h) x 18.5(d)mm
Weight 136g
OS Linux
Game Open Platform
Video MPEG4, Xvid, Divx
Audio OGG, WAV
Photo JPG, BMP,GIF, PNG
E-book TXT
Flash Flash Lite2.1
Network Wi-Fi

Now that the Caanoo is in production stage, the GP2X Wiz will no longer be manufactured. We still have a limited supply of the GP2X Wiz Consoles in our warehouse, grab one before they are all gone:

Back