Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

I'm sure if someone manages to actually ask them for the source they would comply.

ed209.jpg

"You have 20 seconds to comply"

"You now have 15 seconds to comply"

"You now have 10 seconds to comply"

"I am now authorised to use physical force"

@Iprice

Lol. One of my favorite movies.

But yes, better sue them before we simply ask them. Good tactic. Only advocates win in this scenario. :rolleyes:
BTW.: Somebody sued Shenzhen Dingoo Digital already?

I think a lot of people are just relieved that they won't have to buy GPH stuff anymore for their emulation fix. GPH, regardless of how you argue it, do not understand what the community wants, and consistently release flawed consoles that the community has to fix (if they can be fixed; hardware stuff usually can't be). (USB net, screen tearing, hardware defects, faulty EXT cables, etc) In general, it feels like you're fighting the device to do anything. Plus, the community has to fix these consoles' problems without the kernel source, as aforementioned, because GPH can't be buggered to follow the rules and release it.

@sbock You keep saying someone needs to ask GPH for the source, but even assuming no one has, it GPH's responsibility to make the source code available; we should not have to ask them to make it available each time they release something. Go look at the GPL if you don't agree, because it's not really an opinion-type thing. They don't even include the license with the product anyway AFAIK, which is violating the GPL to start with.

absolofdoom said:
it GPH's responsibility to make the source code available; we should not have to ask them to make it available each time they release something.
Wrong. They only have to give it to you on request, and they are under no obligation to provide it to anybody who didn't buy a Wiz either (though anybody who has got the source can then give it away of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
sbock said:
I don't personally have a problem with holding OP responsible for this, but it's a little different. The Chinese factory made several promises and lies regarding this. I don't know Dynsys's position, or if they did in fact promise and refuse various things, but I'm more expecting that GPH didn't really care in the first place. Both OP and GPH would have done better to draft contracts, I suppose. Still, it's not like GPH learned their lesson for Wiz.

Well, fact is we all don't know what exactly happened in Korea. But it's always easy to say: They (in this case GPH) are stupid. That's my point.
My Pandora analogy only want to show: There are other companies who have similar problems with 3rd party development/manufacturing and imho you can't blame them. Neither OP or GPH. It was Ari64 who seem to have a different opinion..

One GPL violation back in 2006 could be reasonably called a mistake or a misunderstanding. Doing so repeatedly for four years is stupid. Doing so while trying to convince software developers that GPH will respect their copyrights is even more stupid.

Dingoo of course is a flagrant GPL violator, but they do so knowing that there is little to no copyright enforcement in China, and unlike GPH, they don't even pretend to care about copyright.

Peter R said:
I'm sure if someone manages to actually ask them for the source they would comply.
EvilDragon mentioned that some already asked them. It would be good to know what GPHs answer was ("You cant have source code!" or "Sorry we not speak English"). I bet it was "Source Code will be released along with FunGP soon".

Besides, what does the GPL say about languages? Suppose that GPH don't understand what you are asking in English as it is not their native language. Surely it is infeasible for people who make use of the GPL to have available to them translators for every possible language on Earth. Therefore, it stands to reason that the onus is on the person requesting the source to ask GPH in their native language.
The GPL is written in English, so in order to understand it and use GPL licensed software, you'll need to understand English anyway.

GPH does have to directly provide the terms of the license to all purchasers, something I'm not aware of them doing. A casual Wiz user may not even realize it's running Linux.

Exophase said:
GPH does have to directly provide the terms of the license to all purchasers, something I'm not aware of them doing. A casual Wiz user may not even realize it's running Linux.

Is it not written that it runs Linux on the box?

Jan-Nik said:
Peter R said:
EvilDragon already mentioned that some already asked them. It would be good to know what GPHs answer was ("You cant have source code!" or "Sorry we not speak English"). I bet it was "Source Code will be released along with FunGP soon".

Besides, what does the GPL say about languages? Suppose that GPH don't understand what you are asking in English as it is not their native language. Surely it is infeasible for people who make use of the GPL to have available to them translators for every possible language on Earth. Therefore, it stands to reason that the onus is on the person requesting the source to ask GPH in their native language.
The GPL is written in English, so in order to understand it and use GPL licensed software, you'll need to understand it anyway.

Yeah, good question...

Peter R said:
Is it not written that it runs Linux on the box?

No idea, I don't have the box. Do you?

It's all pretty moot though, none of this constitutes licensing information.

EvilDragon said:
Okay, to clear some things up:

The only thing I couldn't understand was the analog stick... but depending on how well it is, it could be useful as digital stick as well. I haven't tried anything except for the menu, but the stick felt very good for an analog stick.

No, there is no such thing as an analog that works well for digital games. The problem is it has no physical stops that you can feel while playing. You can move one direction then want to do a diagonal but overshoot and end up going down etc. Anyone who has tried to play Pac-Man on an analog like Zodiac etc knows that it is terrible. It is not just Pac man either, platformers fighting games etc that require precise jumps or movements are virtually unplayable. It is just the way analog works.

That right there is a dealbreaker for emulation. If all you want is to play a handful of lousy GPH made games then I suppose that you wouldn't mind the analog (even those could still work with digital). Analog makes no sense at all for this. The negatives FAR outweigh any benefits of it. GPH is so clueless it is a joke. They always seem to do something really dumb. Honestly the Wiz was probably their best effort after we had them change the two d-pads to the current config, that is probably why they dumped it.

forces/before said:
Not on the box... But on the CD manual, where in also written a copy of GPL.

So the CD has the usual COPYING.DOC? That's good, I stand corrected then. Does it also include a reliable contact for obtaining the source?

Fact is, by far the easiest thing for them to do would have been to include the source on the CD. That they haven't done this suggests to me that they don't want to distribute the source.

The manual indeed includes the GNU GPL. It can be found in on the included CD. Exophase, i am disappointed in your unfounded bashing/hostility/call-it-what-you-will, especially since you don't even have this information, still you assume it is not there.

/Uni

Edit: Ninja'd

u9i said:
The manual indeed includes the GNU GPL. It can be found in on the included CD. Exophase, i am disappointed in your unfounded bashing/hostility/call-it-what-you-will, especially since you don't even have this information, still you assume it is not there.

/Uni

Excuse me, where have I been bashing or had hostility. I clearly said "to the best of my knowledge" it's not there and am happy to be corrected. I assumed it wasn't there because until now no one has mentioned it. I am definitely not being hostile and I really resent these claims, almost as much as I resent being called "awe seeking." I have only commented on the situation at hand as I've seen it, not attacking GPH.

Me, I'm disappointed with the constant defensive attitude when anything about GPH comes up. Claiming that they could be ignorant about GPL because they don't speak English is a joke. Maybe you should be mad at Peter R for implicitly assuming they didn't address GPL too?

DaveC said:
EvilDragon said:
Okay, to clear some things up:

The only thing I couldn't understand was the analog stick... but depending on how well it is, it could be useful as digital stick as well. I haven't tried anything except for the menu, but the stick felt very good for an analog stick.

No, there is no such thing as an analog that works well for digital games. The problem is it has no physical stops that you can feel while playing. You can move one direction then want to do a diagonal but overshoot and end up going down etc. Anyone who has tried to play Pac-Man on an analog like Zodiac etc knows that it is terrible. It is not just Pac man either, platformers fighting games etc that require precise jumps or movements are virtually unplayable. It is just the way analog works.

That right there is a dealbreaker for emulation. If all you want is to play a handful of lousy GPH made games then I suppose that you wouldn't mind the analog (even those could still work with digital). Analog makes no sense at all for this. The negatives FAR outweigh any benefits of it. GPH is so clueless it is a joke. They always seem to do something really dumb. Honestly the Wiz was probably their best effort after we had them change the two d-pads to the current config, that is probably why they dumped it.
To remedy this, Gph could easily implement the octagon shaped guide around the analog like nintendo did with the gamecube controller's analogs.
GameCube_Controller.jpg

sbock said:
It's not yet released and already many people come here in the Wiz section and start bashing GPH and insulting people. Even the English distributor start to bash products he sell in his shop and members of this community. No mod in sight for miles around.

The thing is, it's not like GPH bashing is a new phenomenon. People were bashing GPH well before Pandora. It's not like they suddenly started making mistakes just when Pandora showed up.

sbock said:
BTW: I dont like the new Dingoo, but I accept that other find it a nice console. I never would go in the Dingoo section and call the console, company or other community members stupid.

If you mean the new Dingoo A330, I think you'll find that a lot of us agree...

Back