Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

K4D0 said:
To remedy this, Gph could easily implement the octagon shaped guide around the analog like nintendo did with the gamecube controller's analogs.
GameCube_Controller.jpg

Doesn't work. To use that then your throw distance would have to be so far because you have to move to the limits everytime. Again you lose all precise control.

An analog will never be as good as digital for things designed for digital. That is why even today controllers still have d-pads. If analog worked just as well they would drop the d pads and save the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't work. To use that then your throw distance would have to be so far because you have to move to the limits everytime. Again you lose all precise control.

An analog will never be as good as digital for things designed for digital. That is why even today controllers still have d-pads. If analog worked just as well they would drop the d pads and save the cost.
It does work, it just depends on how far the guide is from the stick.

K4D0 said:

It works just not very well. If you make the guide close then it limits the analog making it restrictive.

Besides that guide does nothing if you move from up directly to down or down-right etc. It is still too sloppy. I have used analog for digital games before and no matter what kludge you try IT SUCKS! period, fullstop.

Exophase said:
u9i said:
The manual indeed includes the GNU GPL. It can be found in on the included CD. Exophase, i am disappointed in your unfounded bashing/hostility/call-it-what-you-will, especially since you don't even have this information, still you assume it is not there.

/Uni

Excuse me, where have I been bashing or had hostility. I clearly said "to the best of my knowledge" it's not there and am happy to be corrected. I assumed it wasn't there because until now no one has mentioned it. I am definitely not being hostile and I really resent these claims, almost as much as I resent being called "awe seeking." I have only commented on the situation at hand as I've seen it, not attacking GPH.

Me, I'm disappointed with the constant defensive attitude when anything about GPH comes up. Claiming that they could be ignorant about GPL because they don't speak English is a joke. Maybe you should be mad at Peter R for implicitly assuming they didn't address GPL too?

Me I'm disappointed with your constant attack attitude when anything about GPH comes up. I know you call yourself neutral but I find it very annoying. Personally I like most of your posts and I respect you because of your massive technical know how, your great work on the Wiz. It's often a pleasure for me to read your explanations about emulation and hardware. I also like your motto: "Don't compromise, OPTIMIZE"
Instead of pointless GPL/GPH discussions that goes nowhere I would like to read one of those posts from you I like, never mind which section or platform.
I know you see me as a kind of childish fanboy. Just as everybody else who likes GPH consoles. Today it seem only political correct here to buy and like a Pandora.
I know GPH makes lots of mistakes. But just as I wrote: Other companies make mistakes too. Nevertheless: I like the GP2x, the Wiz and even the new machine. Perhaps it's because I like underdogs. Their faults make them likable for me. I'm a big Sega fan too and boy they made lots of unbelievable faults.
So you don't want to support GPH anymore and the new platform. That's very sad but OK for me. If other consoles are easier for development, obtain the GPL, are cooler and GPH consoles suck at this point I can understand that, even I'm no developer.
So good luck for all your new projects. But it is really necessary to missionary every here that GPH is not worth to buy and sucks in every point?

Sorry for long, probable boring, pointless, off-topic post and really bad English...

Exophase said:
Claiming that they could be ignorant about GPL because they don't speak English is a joke. Maybe you should be mad at Peter R for implicitly assuming they didn't address GPL too?

What I meant is that when people write to a South Korean company with the English words:
Please provide me with the source code for the Linux kernel
That the person receiveing the email in South Korea, who speaks Korean natively, and only understands terminology in Korean may literally not have a clue what you are on about. Then people complain they are actively with holding the source code and breaching the GPL. I think it is unfair to jump to this conclusion until people have gone to the effort of contacting them in a language they can actually read. If this happens and then they say (in Korean):
No, you cannot have the sourcecode - it is ours.
Then of course in this case they are indeed breaching the GPL and then all the GPL zealots can start having their usual moan just in the knowledge that, for once, they are correct in their assertions.

Personally, I think that the fact GPH have distributed the license documentation with the Wiz shows that they clearly do understand the GPL. Why would they bother with this requirement of the license if they were just going to ignore and refuse the requests which are required as they are the whole point of the license?

quadomatic said:
sbock said:
It's not yet released and already many people come here in the Wiz section and start bashing GPH and insulting people. Even the English distributor start to bash products he sell in his shop and members of this community. No mod in sight for miles around.

The thing is, it's not like GPH bashing is a new phenomenon. People were bashing GPH well before Pandora. It's not like they suddenly started making mistakes just when Pandora showed up.

Well, you're probably right...

sbock said:
BTW: I dont like the new Dingoo, but I accept that other find it a nice console. I never would go in the Dingoo section and call the console, company or other community members stupid.

If you mean the new Dingoo A330, I think you'll find that a lot of us agree...

Yeah, the A330. Afaik at the German forum many like it. But good to know that sometimes we have the same opinion. Thanks for pointing this out. :)

sbock said:
Me I'm disappointed with your constant attack attitude when anything about GPH comes up. I know you call yourself neutral but I find it very annoying. Personally I like most of your posts and I respect you because of your massive technical know how, your great work on the Wiz. It's often a pleasure for me to read your explanations about emulation and hardware. I also like your motto.

Sorry but the "constant attack attitude when anything about GPH comes up" you refer to is in your head. I comment what I think. If GPH does something I like I'm hardly afraid to admit it. Maybe you haven't noticed, but I don't hold back regarding things I dislike or like regarding Pandora or any other platform. I also usually comment on whatever I think is most relevant to users at large, and not just my personal tastes. Frankly I barely give a shit about any electronic device on the face of the planet. I just have GP2Xs to put software on it. I just have a Wiz to put software on it. I'm just getting a Pandora to put software on it.

sbock said:
Instead of pointless GPL/GPH discussions that goes nowhere I would like to read one of those posts from you I like, never mind which section or platform.

So what, are you accusing me of starting the GPL stuff here? I only added a few comments to it and like I said I'm happy to accept correction. GPL is also something I personally barely give a shit about. I don't know where you come off singling me out, if you want to be like that talk to Ari64. Oh, and if you want to talk about making things personal talk to Orkie, who saw it fit to start talking about the "tantrums" I threw over screen resolutions and how no one will miss me. And how he's not the only one who harbors some stupid grudge against me so his attacks are justified. Etc. But yeah, like he said he wasn't the one "starting" it here, right?

sbock said:
I know you see me as a kind of childish fanboy. Just as everybody else who likes GPH consoles. Today it seem only political correct here to buy and like a Pandora.

I really don't think anyone thinks you're a childish fanboy, and furthermore I hardly think that these boards are especially unfriendly to people who like GPH platforms. By and large the Pandora people are in the Pandora forums and the Wiz people are in the Wiz forums, and just because the climate is very Pandora heavy right now (given that it finally came out) that doesn't mean everyone's anti-Wiz all of a sudden.

The way I see it, people aren't criticizing this because it's made by GPH, quite the contrary - they want GPH to do a new platform they like and are disappointed in the decisions they've made. There's been a lot of objective criticism and concern so why do you have to assume that this is a political plot?

sbock said:
I know GPH makes lots of mistakes. But just as I wrote: Other companies make mistakes too. Nevertheless: I like the GP2x, the Wiz and even the new machine. Perhaps it's because I like underdogs. Their faults make them likable for me. I'm a big Sega fan too and boy they made lots of unbelievable faults, too.

This thread ain't about other companies. Or at least it's not supposed to be, right?

sbock said:
So you don't want to support GPH anymore and the new platform. That's very sad but OK for me. If other consoles are easier for development, obtain the GPL, are cooler and GPH consoles suck at this point I can understand that, even I'm no developer.

I never said I'd never support GPH again. Further, how much they honor GPL means nothing to me when deciding if I want to support something. I have no idea if this platform will be easy to develop for or not, that's not a factor. The reality is very simple: I don't think an analog-only handheld is appropriate for emulators (at least any I'd be doing) so I'm not going to bother. If someone else wants to port my stuff they can have at it, I'll lend the source to anything closed too.

sbock said:
So good luck for your new projects. But it is really necessary to missionary every here that GPH is not worth to buy and sucks in every point?

You know, I'm getting a little appalled at the extents your false accusations are reaching..

K4D0 said:

No, it doesn't work.

e.g. Playing Street Fighter II with a GAME CUBE controller = fail

Playing Street Fighter II with a SATURN controller = success

Ah, a typical Exophase answer. Just as expected :)

If GPH does something I like I'm hardly afraid to admit it.

OK, anything you like at the Caanoo? ;)

Maybe you haven't noticed, but I don't hold back regarding things I dislike or like regarding Pandora or any other platform

No, sorry. I rarely read and post in the section. But I believe you. Just as I wrote: You see yourself as neutral. (Just my simple point of view) Basicly nothing bad with this...

So what, are you accusing me of starting the GPL stuff here? I only added a few comments to it and like I said I'm happy to accept correction

But you take the ball, even you give a shit about the GPL. Hmm, strange. But OK.

I really don't think anyone thinks you're a childish fanboy,
Thanks for clearing this up. :) I though I read a statement of you that you can't understand why people still support GPH, buy their consoles (Can't find the quote anymore) and that you are disappointing of people defending GPH. BTW: Why are you disappointed? So people have different point of views, so what? Can't you respect this? I'm a little bit disappointed that you don't seem to accept other point of views...

There's been a lot of objective criticism and concern so why do you have to assume that this is a political plot?
Well, I personally don't see that much objective criticism. Don't take my words about political correctness to serious. I mean it more ironically. I don't assume some kind of conspiracy. I leave that to Moulder and Scully ;-)

This thread ain't about other companies. Or at least it's not supposed to be, right?
Right. I started this thread about the Caanoo. What have gone wrong? I shouldn't have post it as I had to know that's it pointless to get an objective discussion. But my point is: Criticizing GPH without pointing out positive things implies that other companies to it a lot better or that GPH is the only company on the world making faults. I find this a little bit simple.

I never said I'd never support GPH again. Further, how much they honor GPL means nothing to me when deciding if I want to support something. I have no idea if this platform will be easy to develop for or not, that's not a factor. The reality is very simple: I don't think an analog-only handheld is appropriate for emulators (at least any I'd be doing) so I'm not going to bother. If someone else wants to port my stuff they can have at it, I'll lend the source to anything closed too.

Good to know. So I interpreted your statement wrong. My bad.

You know, I'm getting a little appalled at the extents your false accusations are reaching..
Well that's only fair. So we are both appalled. ;) As you maybe(or not)have noticed my post was not meant as offense against you, I just don't like the attitude of some of your posts as I find them one sided and trying to find the hair in the soup. Perhaps it's only me, as I'm no native English speaker.

Personally I find Exophase to be agressively individual. That is all. AFAICS he says what he thinks and he thinks what he says. That the things he says and thinks are frequently far from simple (see "technical talk") only goes to show that it's not only simple folk who can be honest to the point of being blunt.

Yes, he does tend to put his point across and not offer counter arguments. Given that I think we can agree that Exophase isn't simple this suggests to me that he has a point (or points) to make and isn't really interested in cloudying the waters.

Really, chaps, this seems to be shedding much more heat than light. I haven't read sbock much (I'm a Pandora guy so I don't visit the Wiz forums much) but I've read enough Exophase to think that this amount of heat over such small statements - including where Exo has admitted fault when actually corrected - seems... excessive? Can't we find a way to get back tot alking about the console instead of bickering?

The Pandora fanboys are too much to take in this thread.

sbock said:
If GPH does something I like I'm hardly afraid to admit it.

OK, anything you like at the Caanoo? ;)
I know this wasn't directed at me but..

Just because something is made by GPH we have to like everything about it without question? I like the Wiz but this caanoo thing is crap (what do they think ending a name in "oo" like the Dingoo will sell units?).

The same SoC use I am not as freaked out about as some because it is supposed to be fairly Wiz compatible (we will see there), but taking out a d-pad for an analog is just plain DUMB!

And where are the speakers? It has none from the look of it. So that means you have to stick earphones in you ear every time you want to play a game? That is retarded.

There is no way to spin it, that is a stupid move that will CRIPPLE the unit severely for use with emulators. Since they aren't Sony original stuff is pointless. If you want commercial games buy a DS or PSP.

Dumb is dumb.

sbock said:
I found some news about the new GPH console formerly known as N35:
The new device could be called "Caanoo".

caanoo.jpg

caanoo2.jpg

Specifications:

RAM: 128MB
2GB Internally Flash Memory
Display: 3.5 inch LCD 320 × 240
SD / SDHC
G Sensor
Size: 146 (w) × 70 (h) × 18.5 (d) mm
Weight: 136g
Flash: Lite2.1
WiFi via adapter
Colors: Black, White, Red, Silver
Joystick

CPU and SoC seem to be the same as the Wiz.
August 2010 could be the release.
All informations are unofficial and not confirmed by GPH or the distributors!

Source: here and here..
I have been thinking a bit about the joystick and feel it would be ok, how much do you think they will sell for?

R.B said:
I have been thinking a bit about the joystick and feel it would be ok, how much do you think they will sell for?

well i assume they're going to sell it at the same starter price like the wiz. so something around 150€ ?

Ahem, back on topic.

I like the idea of a Wiz with an LCD but at this stage I'm looking for something with a bit more grunt.
The Pandora springs to mind but is taking forever and is a bit too expensive for a hobby handheld (IMO), still if the scene grows beyond a few thousand users economies of scale might kick in?

Back to the waiting (for a GP2X replacement) game...

R.B said:

rofl, they should re-name this GPH hand-held to "RedBaron".

coldfis said:
I'm looking for something with a bit more grunt.
The Pandora springs to mind but is taking forever.

What do you mean by, "taking forever"?

SONY said:

Probably something like "the majority of people who paid cash up front for the device in September/October 2008 with an anticipated 2-month lead time still have never touched a Pandora, much less received their own, even 18 months later - and still do not know when/if they ever will". Something like that.

Hmm... Caanoo eh? :blink:

Well, all I'm gonna say is that I really loved my GP32 FLU and BLU back in the day.

Monk said:
SONY said:

Probably something like "the majority of people who paid cash up front for the device in September/October 2008 with an anticipated 2-month lead time still have never touched a Pandora, much less received their own, even 18 months later - and still do not know when/if they ever will". Something like that.

Pretty much what he said.

I guess when Pandora has finaly been out for a while we'll be able to see how much skilled software development it gets.
For my money it'd want to attract a scene at least as big as the GP2X had, and have plenty of apps/games that make full use of the hardware on top of that.

I may be asking too much?

Back