Caanoo - The New Gph Console?

t money said:
can someone clarify? i was reading anarchy's First Impressions Caanoo, but i'm unclear if anarchy is saying that there is or isn't ghosting. based on the context of the surrounding text, i'm guessing that there isn't ghosting (although nothing fast has been tried yet), but the translation makes it seem like there is ghosting. anyone?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got the same problem with the translation. He later in the thread clearify his statement and wrote, that the display is very good and there is no ghosting.

Last edited by a moderator:
sbock said:
t money said:
can someone clarify? i was reading anarchy's First Impressions Caanoo, but i'm unclear if anarchy is saying that there is or isn't ghosting. based on the context of the surrounding text, i'm guessing that there isn't ghosting (although nothing fast has been tried yet), but the translation makes it seem like there is ghosting. anyone?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got the same problem with the translation. He later in the thread clearify his statement and wrote, that the display is very good and there is no ghosting.

thank you. that's good news.

I think the rounded edges look like a great move; I was always unhappy that handhelds moved to square designs, never felt they were nearly as ergonomic. Too bad it couldn't have both a d-pad and an analog stick, then it could have been a pretty nice enhancement over Wiz...

Exophase said:
I think the rounded edges look like a great move; I was always unhappy that handhelds moved to square designs, never felt they were nearly as ergonomic.
Agreed.

Oh, and Anarchy has made some comparison pictures.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21237&d=1279633345.jpg

More here or click my sig.

Exophase said:
I think the rounded edges look like a great move; I was always unhappy that handhelds moved to square designs, never felt they were nearly as ergonomic. Too bad it couldn't have both a d-pad and an analog stick, then it could have been a pretty nice enhancement over Wiz...

yeah thats for sure

i think i will buy one and modded it with a D-pad. i hope i wont lost anything important from that analog stick. i think it can be a problem

renejr902 said:
Exophase said:

yeah thats for sure

i think i will buy one and modded it with a D-pad. i hope i wont lost anything important from that analog stick. i think it can be a problem
why dont you try the anologe stick first you might like it better than the dpad well i ordered one just to play afterburer and guess what its best played with a anloge stick.

You ordered a handheld just to play Afterburner?? You must really love that game. Oh, no doubt, I imagine many arcade games are better with an analog stick. Even I don't think most console games are necessarily that bad with one, I've played say, SMB1 with a stick all because the controller had such a terrible d-pad (Nyko Airflo). But it's still not nearly the same. Still, I'd probably take it over the damn GP2X stick, that thing was just awful, uncomfortable too.

Hopefully I'm not the only one waiting to see if all those companies follow through on those games GPH demonstrated, especially the 3D ones. The showing was more than I expected, way more than it was for Wiz or GP2X.

jutley said:
renejr902 said:
Exophase said:

yeah thats for sure

why dont you try the anologe stick first you might like it better than the dpad well i ordered one just to play afterburer and guess what its best played with a anloge stick.

Me and DaveC had a Zodiac before, and we know the problem that happen when playing old games nes, snes, gb,... with a analog stick. the feeling it not the same, its not really funny. Maybe i will add a d-pad below the analog stick. But i dont know if a D-pad will be great at this position.

I just have a simple question: Is the screen clear, or grainy like with the Wiz? I'm considering selling my Wiz and getting this (just to be up-too-date), but I just want to be sure so I know what to expect.

Decho said:
I just have a simple question: Is the screen clear, or grainy like with the Wiz? I'm considering selling my Wiz and getting this (just to be up-too-date), but I just want to be sure so I know what to expect.
its very clear no tearing or stretching so yes sell the wiz and buy the biz

jutley said:
Decho said:
its very clear no tearing or stretching so yes sell the wiz and buy the biz
Awesome, thanks! Have it listed on eBay now. Hopefully it sells.

wanna be first before the market is flooded with used Wiz eh :) I'm gonna play with the Caanoo for a couple of months and see if it makes the Wiz obsolete, if it does then I will sell it.

i'm happy with people selling their wizzes, i think i need a spare battery soon and ED doesnt list them anymore :)

I'm keeping my Wiz. It didn't sell very well, and it'll definitely be a collectors item some day.

Nova said:
It didn't sell very well
I remember ED saying that there was a time where he sold 10 Wiz a day which sounds pretty good to me.

Jan-Nik said:
Nova said:
It didn't sell very well
I remember ED saying that there was a time where he sold 10 Wiz a day which sounds pretty good to me.

I bet it was not a drop in the ocean compared with the GP32 and GP2X.

Jan-Nik said:
Nova said:
It didn't sell very well

Yeah, last year christmas, just after there was a major press release about the Pandora.
That got people interested in Linux handhelds and a lot bought the WIZ as it was available :)

I still sold about 4 units a day until a few weeks ago :)

Last edited:
If the Wiz sold that poorly I don't think they'd be coming out with the Caanoo with largely the same hardare. With sites like play asia and thinkgeek selling it I'm sure overall it sold well.

I'm actually getting excited about the accelerometer which should add an extra dimension to games and the vibration could be neat as well. The analog joystick is surprisingly looking pretty solid too. Having a usb host is also nice. Also, though oled screen look nicer it seemed the wiz screen had some problems and fairly high failure rate so at least we should be getting a reliable, problem free, screen.

Saw a video on the play asia blog playing ms pac man with the tilt sensor and was pretty funny. Probably not the best way to play but shows that the emulator could be set to play any game that way which is cool.

Not a huge overhaul to the wiz but a nice refresher product to renew interest in gph systems and mix things up a bit. Also, fungp looks good though they should have put that site out earlier.

I'm keeping my Wiz and getting a Cannoo. Call me a pack rat but I love my gizmo's too much to ever sell them! The Wiz still has some features to it that the Cannoo doesn't. It's size for one, OLED, dpad, these all warrant not giving up on it. Idk, I've never had a lot of the problems that people seem to have with it. My screen is perfect, no grainyness at all, it's stable being overclocked to 800, sometimes higher. Mine was an early unit though, I preordered, so maybe they don't make 'em like they used to? Don't get me wrong, I'm suped about the Cannoo as well. It brings a couple new things to the table that I'm anxious to try out. I know from my phone that a tilt sensor can bring a whole new twist to gaming as long as it's implemented properly. Certain games just suck trying to play them in this way, FPS's for example. Vibration as well can be used to enhance a lot of games. If anyone's familiar with the game Labyrinth, it's a perfect example of a game that uses both of these functions very well. I don't mind the analog stick as much as some. Fighting games might suffer but arcade shooters for one will be fine, maybe even better. And more memory doesn't hurt either. I personally would have preferred they kept the OLED but the LCD sounds like it's good quality so that's cool. I'm very happy they brought back the USB port.

Off Topic
Hey crow, have you preordered or will you be getting one down the road? AudioRace would be killer with the tilt function!

Back