C.e. Testing Done!

Username said:
I don't want to pester anyone but does anyone know an approximate timeframe for release? I would hope somewhere before Christmas (for the first one shipped).

I dunno about you guys, but it still seems so far away. UGH!! I hope at least by 2nd week in November?? Is that a fair timeframe? I hope there's an update on openpandora.org with a solid date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truthfully, they can't do anything until the case stuff comes in. So no time-frame can be given until they know when that will be done. They also still need to buy PSP adapters.

Kloplop321 said:
Want it at my door step before November 20th.
ED said we'd have it by his birthday!
Oh... wait...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISTER DRAGON! ;)

edit: ok, he didn't say we'd have it, he just kinda suggested that he thought that maybe they would kinda sorta maybe almost be shipping by his birthday. I'm just teasing. No kill, I bleed easily!

Phawx said:
Isn't his bday the 17th?
Yes, my confusion. I'd remembered it as the 15th.
Even so, I still don't think it'll be shipping in the next Two Days(tm), but we are oh so very close now! I can almost taste it!

Sitwon said:
My laptops all have FCC ID numbers printed on them (presumably for the 802.11 radio). My Nintendo DS Lite also has an FCC ID number...
Seems nearly every electronic product I have that was purchased domestically in the US has FCC labeling, ID or not. Among others, that includes my laptop, 360, 360 controller, Bluetooth headphones, PSP-1000, monitor, and digital camera. The only things that didn't seem to be labeled were AC adapters, my import PSP-2000, and my unlocked phone.

Some of the FCC devices are "tested to comply with FCC standards," while others had actual IDs. Couldn't Pandora be sold in the US as an import device without FCC testing? Seems to be that it's ok that way, as long as it has CE testing, which every device I have has labeling for.

I looked at my original PSP (FCC ID:AK8PSP1001B) and NDS (FCC ID:BKENTR001) and I couldn't spot any difference between them and the laptop that ED posted (FCC ID:W5MTOBIIC12).

IANAEE, however. Anyone with better knowledge/qualifications than me want to check it out?

No company needs FCC branding it is an option that most companies choose have on there products.

The Pandora doesn't need Certification. The only thing they have to have is the CE/FCC EM Result kept on file. So there is no need to worry about the FCC any longer. The shields are going to be there to reduce the spikes and justify accuracy.

The reason some FCC IDs are shown and some are not is because some companies paid for the confidentiality option.

The only thing we have to pay attention to is the final results (which shouldn't be that different) and the progress with the cases.

Sitwon said:
FCC is only for radio devices...
The Pandora contains an 802.11bg radio and a bluetooth radio, doesn't it? So does that mean that as long as those chips are individually FCC certified the Pandora itself doesn't need to be certified?
No, because the chips can't be individually certified. You can't test a radio device without an antenna, because it only works as intended with an antenna (if you own a ham radio tranceiver you would (hopefully) know that if you transmit without an antenna the power will backfire and.. boom.)
So, what's tested is the combination of those chips you mentioned, connected to the antenna (see for example the FCC reports for the Nokia tablets). If the antenna doesn't resonance on the correct frequency you can get all kinds of not-so-funny radiation side effects.

-Tj- said:
Seems nearly every electronic product I have that was purchased domestically in the US has FCC labeling, ID or not. Among others, that includes my laptop, 360, 360 controller, Bluetooth headphones, PSP-1000, monitor, and digital camera. The only things that didn't seem to be labeled were AC adapters, my import PSP-2000, and my unlocked phone.

Some of the FCC devices are "tested to comply with FCC standards," while others had actual IDs. Couldn't Pandora be sold in the US as an import device without FCC testing? Seems to be that it's ok that way, as long as it has CE testing, which every device I have has labeling for.
no, fcc is only needed if you sell domestically within the U.S, like a retailer.

disclaimer: i think

I'd lived for 19 years directly under 3 radio rebroadcast towers which put up a gate on our front property that says "Warning, radiation levels beyond this point exceed fcc regulated exposure levels, do not enter." If anything, I think the Pandora may get interference from me, not t'other way 'round.

Kaze0110 said:
I'd lived for 19 years directly under 3 radio rebroadcast towers which put up a gate on our front property that says "Warning, radiation levels beyond this point exceed fcc regulated exposure levels, do not enter." If anything, I think the Pandora may get interference from me, not t'other way 'round.
I assume then that your sig, is a scan of your eyeball :p

@Kaze....lucky for you, if you just dangle a wire out of the window and bury another one in the garden then you won`t need a power supply for the Pandora. handy, that.

Finally getting closer!

The last big step now are the moulds, i haven't heard any information about them since weeks, any news in them? weren't they suppose to be done by mid october?

I have one question about the mass production, i read time ago that some procesors would be better than others, but that was because of an info problem of texas and they have changed that right?( i think this because people here said that 2nd batches would be all at 600MH) If MP star now (Im happy, but latter than expected ), will there be those random procesors?

For anyone interested in why they don't need FCC testing, page 9 of the following PDF:
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/presentations/files/may09/May09_Overview_FCC%20Regs_Licensed_Unlicensed_Devices.pdf

Page 11 states that most licensed devices need a licensed operator as well. I don't see anyone with a license to operate a laptop.

so did it actually fail the ce test, and the insulation is required to make it pass?
it seems like that tbh, and if thats the truth then i cant understand why everyone is so happy...

gibberish said:
so did it actually fail the ce test, and the insulation is required to make it pass?
It didn't fail the CE test, because this wasn't *the* CE test. It was a pre-test test, to make sure the board would pass the real test before they went and made 4000 more of them. The cable failed, but the board itself passed, so the boards can go mass production. That is why everyone is happy.
And if all it takes is a little bit of foil to make the ribbon cable pass, better to learn that now than during the real test.

gibberish said:
it seems like that tbh, and if thats the truth then i cant understand why everyone is so happy...

No, it is just to remove voltage spikes that didn't quite exceed the critical levels anyhow.

Back