By The End Of The Year?

How about the keymats? Are the final ones manufactured / printed / in craig's basement yet?

EvilDragon said:
Well, seeing that the boards are here and working and the only thing left is the case (which will be finished just before October or middle of October, depending on if the Chinese factory can finish the mould just before the chines holidays), I can't think of no reason why we shouldn't be able to ship within this year - unless something is seriously wrong with the case. But we checked it with a few prototype cases, the chinese factory checked it with actual boards that everything fits and they are also the ones producing the keymats, so they also checked that the keymats fit with the case.
So chances the case will work from the very beginning are very high.

Then we can almost instantly deliver the 100 first finished Pandoras - and after that it's a few weeks to mass produce the rest.
*Hugs ED* lol
Yeah I'm another one of the dedicated that laid my cash down and could wait and wait as long as there is a plausible explanation... but that doesn't mean I'm not relieved to see light at the end of the tunnel.

I do see the counter point, that many feel it's an unholy amount of time that we have been waiting... and I agree with that. But you are getting a device that is yours, not laden with DRM or strict guidelines on what you can run, etc. I think it's something worth waiting for; An open gaming device that can actually run useful applications too. And it is being brought to you by the people that are part of this very GP32X community. Anyway I dunno... I'm just glad to see things starting to reach the end I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sugar_Kane said:
I'm resigning from the forums for a week or two, I can't be bothered to read any more idiotic posts at the moment. The thing's coming, it's taking it's time and the updates are few and far between, but I for one have more important things to worry about. I'll just carry on with my business and be happy when my parcel arrives. Basically the delays don't mean anything, because I know that I couldn't have done any better, in fact I couldn't have even got the idea off the ground. What's really killing the joy for me is some of the posters here.

I'd suggest resigning for 'a couple of months' at a time. Thats what I try to do - that way there is usually some interesting new info. On the infrequent times I do log in, I find it a deeply depressing experience - partly because its still not ready, but mostly due to the level of debate, which while understandable, is still depressing.

Quite how Gruso (what happened to Chip?) stays so cheerful I'll never know. How does atomicthumbs keep making sarcastic jokes that nobody gets?

Each time I do log in, I only just stop myself going postal. Looks like Mr Dark 48kSpeccie lost it in a not too dissimilar way I might, so I'll take that as a warning ;-))

Anyway, I'll going back to my bomb shelter and will re-check status in a month. I semi-joked this time last year that we would have it just in time for this year's Christmas party (the delays are not really a huge surprise). I'm still hopeful for this Xmas...

At last some meat To calm the hounds and scare the Trolls off.

lets cross the fingers and hope the Plastic moulding Co Ships it bef they go on holydays.

now there i just wanted to know

aprox how many of the boards are actually already produced
and how many of the cases would be shipped in the first packet?

EvilDragon said:
Well, seeing that the boards are here and working and the only thing left is the case (which will be finished just before October or middle of October, depending on if the Chinese factory can finish the mould just before the chines holidays)

So the case has become the cause of delays once more, then? After Craig saying only a few days ago that the production of the boards is now the bottleneck???

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:
Well, seeing that the boards are here and working and the only thing left is the case (which will be finished just before October or middle of October, depending on if the Chinese factory can finish the mould just before the chines holidays)

So the case has become the cause of delays once more, then? After Craig saying only a few days ago that the production of the boards is now the bottleneck???

he didnt talk about stopping the board production did he?

I believe the idea is that the cases are the bottleneck for the boards they have in stock, once they have the cases they can put together what they have but at that point the bottleneck will be how fast they can get more boards in. Don't quote me though.

Consequence9 said:
Straight_Shooter said:
Yeah about that, see it's not really my problem.
Sure it is, you should have understood the risk involved before pre-ordering.

To some extent I can sympathize with both sides of this conversation, but that's just not fair. The OP team were a million miles from understanding the risks, so you can't expect the average pre-orderer to have foreseen all the problems. Plus, the OP team always had some kind of estimate at hand, which have since turned out to be erroneous. Just because you pre-ordered basing your choice on that information doesn't mean you gave up your right to complain if the device seems incapable of materializing.

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:

The cases are a requirement before any pandoras can be produced. The boards are the bottleneck in continuous production, as other parts can be aquired at a faster pace. This is how I've understood it.

EvilDragon said:
Well, seeing that the boards are here and working and the only thing left is the case (which will be finished just before October or middle of October, depending on if the Chinese factory can finish the mould just before the chines holidays), I can't think of no reason why we shouldn't be able to ship within this year - unless something is seriously wrong with the case. But we checked it with a few prototype cases, the chinese factory checked it with actual boards that everything fits and they are also the ones producing the keymats, so they also checked that the keymats fit with the case.
So chances the case will work from the very beginning are very high.

Then we can almost instantly deliver the 100 first finished Pandoras - and after that it's a few weeks to mass produce the rest.

So who are the lucky peeps that will be geting the first 105 pandoras then? ;)

me? :-||

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:

Craig didn't say the boards were a bottleneck. They were someone else's words.

It's like this:

- There are 100 boards at the moment. They're waiting on cases. (Panic translation: "The cases are teh bottleneck!")
- Once the cases start being made, they will be produced much faster then the rest of the boards. Suddenly there will be thousands of cases sitting there waiting for board production to catch up. (Panic translation: "The boards are teh bottleneck!")

Both are true. There are different "bottlenecks" at different stages of manufacturing.

[Oh, as B-zar said too.]

I have been a member of these boards for some time - in fact longer than most going by my join date. I am also a day 0 pre-orderer. I want a Pandora today - unfortunately that is not possible - so I will just wait until it is. I am in the very fortunate position that 200-300 quid being stashed in my bank account makes 0 impact on my life - but maybe if I were back in college - while I was broke - I would be a lot more pissed off now.

My advice would be just forget about it and wait if you can afford it and nothing better is out (or you simply want to support the scene). If having money tied up in a preorder is bringing you hardship - I am sure none of the OpenPandora team would want that.

I don't think it could happen - but if loads of people cancelled and that caused the OpenPandora team to go under - that would be sad - but it would alo be the sign of failure.

With the latest N64 news - I am rather excited!

Steve

As a few others .. I'm locked in. (Sure I'm helping with dev, but we're panting for our new gear as much as the rest of you ;) If Pandora sinks, I'm out a couple bills but have been part of the madness, and I really do not think it will sink. Those pre-orders are going to ship, and when they do .. I want to be part of it.

The key to remember.. theres no other device out there like this; theres nothing to switch to 'instead of'.

Anyway, I sympathize with everyone, and doubly so for those who saved pennies off their paper routes for this investment; but to those who are jumping ship to go to iphone/itouch or other devices and with emulation in mind .. don't do it. The iphone/itouch is an okay gaming device if you like its style of games, but its basicly terrible as a controller .. ie: For games that suit the device (touchscreen etc), great. But for emulation, platformers etc.. its terrible :) So if you want to jump ship, its your call.. but jump to the _right ship_

(And if I can abuse the metaphor, I'm motorboating craigix/ED/mjw/etc to the end! Theres your new sigline folks!)

jeff

I don't see where all this talk of the OP team failing and people losing out with their money.

Remember: They presented everything they own as collateral for project funding. You would be surprised to what extent people will go to when everything is on the line. It will be released sometime between late October and right before the moment they run out of money. No later.

By the way, now that my financial situation has stabilized, I'm jumping on the preorder train too! choo choo!

Miner49er said:
EvilDragon said:
Bosbeetle said:
Are speakers, LCD screens and nubs also stocked somewhere? And is everything ready for assembly?

Just asking?

Yep.

<troll> Photos or I don't believe it </troll>
raiders_book_warehouse.jpg

spikeyxx said:
I'd like a realistic leadtime, and if it's after January, I think I'd like a viable alternative for multi-system emulation.

That pretty well assures either a "This year, almost certainly" response or no response at all, as you're saying that any other response will cause you to take your money away!

Straight_Shooter said:
I said it's not my problem. It might be a problem for you, but by the end of the year I will be sick of waiting and just as happy to get an ipod touch.

And if many people are encouraged to also think "it's not my problem, I think I'll ask for a refund" OP could run out of money and go bust. Not your problem, of course - unless they go bust before paying YOU. Then YOU will be out of pocket AND have no Pandora.

I take a hollistic approach to life - it's all interconnected. There is no "it's not my problem" as there's usually SOME way it can swing around and spank you on the arse.

Straight_Shooter said:
I should have understood that I might have to wait over a year to get a Pandora? That's ridiculous.

Yes - yes, it is. Sadly, as well as people occupying the "middle ground" without "taking sides" and just musing on the facts, there are also people to any extreme you might think of - including "for" and "against" OpenPandora. Human Nature, I think
sad.gif

You may note that, obviously, I think I'm part of the "reasonable" crowd (doesn't everyone?).

Straight_Shooter said:
MonkeyChops said:
I don't think he's trolling, I'm sure just about everyone here has had the same thoughts as strait shooter at some point during this crazy ride and he has a right to voice them as much as the next guy. although he could be a bit more diplomatic about it

You're probably right, I am just getting frustrated. I really do want the Pandora to succeed.

I disagree with the idea that we should just "keep mum" to aid the Pandora success, but perhaps trying to avoid scaring the less hardy customers off wouldn't be a bad idea.

If it doesn't materialise by January i'm probably pulling out too. I think that's fair really.

Back