Anyone Else Lost Interest?

chuckr said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
My biggest fear with the Pandora is that when it does finally get released, that another similar more mainstream device will appear on the market for less cash :(

You sound like one of those 80's newbies, complaining that they really ought to wait because there will always be better/cheaper right on the horizon. Guys, haven't you realized that this is the nature of the beast? The point here is that there has been quite a long hiatus in new features for PDAs and game machines, especially for those of us who can appreciate it. Pandora's main long term effect is most certainly going to be the fact that this project stuck a big, painful needle in the ass of all those lazy, greedy folks who believe that everyone is stupid, and that they should only produce for the most simpleminded. Remember these guys of ours are not doing this as their main jobs, so it's just flatly impossible that they should be able to be completely as fast as folks who can put 100 times the resources into it.

Have you noticed the trends in PDA designs lately? Can't you see Pandora's direct effect on things? I'm sure happy I did this, and I CAN'T afford it. Industry is FINALLY seeing that folks really DO want better features. I bet that Pandora is well known in those circles. They don't want to do Pandora any favors, they just want money, so it's far more difficult to give those folks the news. They are forcing industry idiots to cater to you, and that (for my money) is WELL worth things. Pandora's design points the way just exactly where I want it to do, so we can finally get the entire industry going where we want it to.

Word, brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
chuckr said:
You sound like one of those 80's newbies, complaining that they really ought to wait because there will always be better/cheaper right on the horizon.
She didn't say she was worried about something in the future, she's worried about something being released at the same time as the Pandora that is superior. Every month the Pandora isn't released, this becomes a greater possibility.

amazing! I have only had to read 102,347,721,973,235 posts over the span of umpty-um years in order to find two consecutive posts from people who "get it", next thing you know hell will be sending out for warm boots and jackets, pigs will be fitted with navigation lights and black box`s, England will win the Ashes and the PM will admit he`s a clueless twerp, exciting times we live in....... :p

to be honest I am not surprised so much by the people deserting as those who haven`t, in this age of instant gratification and 10 minute attention spans it`s surprising to find so many stable people with a longer outlook, I`m guessing most of the "die-hards" are older or more mature mentally (apart from me that is...I`m just crazy).

Hmmm, it hasn't been released yet, guess I will check back in another 5 months. :D

pelrun said:
Considering that there isn't much left to do besides assembly, testing and shipment, there's no way that it's 'likely' to take another 7 months.
Heh, well we'll just have to wait and see who gets to email who in 7 months time and say "I told you so". :)

I did specify, BTW, that I'd be ordering from the 2nd batch.

It took enough convincing the wife that it wasn't a "scam" from the out-set, so when credit-card orders were sunk and she was up for a money order there was no talking her into re-ordering. And yes, I do "get" the deal despite comments to the contrary. Hell, I've even produced a handful of simple boards for sale myself, did one prototype run of a more complex board that went no-where, and have even started work on a more ambitious project again - in my spare time no less - where the battle will be just breaking even - all for the love of it and not to make any money. Believe me, I know the challenges of the Pandora project, and the realities of this type of development. I knew what to expect from the out-set, and have never "complained" about the schedule or the development team.

Regardless, there's no denying that I have, to some degree, at this point, "lost interest". So sue me!

tcdev said:
pelrun said:
Considering that there isn't much left to do besides assembly, testing and shipment, there's no way that it's 'likely' to take another 7 months.
Heh, well we'll just have to wait and see who gets to email who in 7 months time and say "I told you so". :)
Make sure to use the same font as OpenPandora.

hobbyman II said:
amazing! I have only had to read 102,347,721,973,235 posts over the span of umpty-um years in order to find two consecutive posts from people who "get it", next thing you know hell will be sending out for warm boots and jackets, pigs will be fitted with navigation lights and black box`s, England will win the Ashes and the PM will admit he`s a clueless twerp, exciting times we live in....... :p

Well, that's one out of the 4 down, and some would say it was the least likely of them :D

WizardStan said:
chuckr said:
You sound like one of those 80's newbies, complaining that they really ought to wait because there will always be better/cheaper right on the horizon.
She didn't say she was worried about something in the future, she's worried about something being released at the same time as the Pandora that is superior. Every month the Pandora isn't released, this becomes a greater possibility.
That's exactly what I meant, but I think we can breath a sigh of relief as it looks like the Pandora will be here very soon and currently there's nothing to compete :)

I have to admit that I am begining feel jaded about the whole Pandora thing, I have been a supporter of Craig and the gang since the begining, pre-ordering one from the first batch and then going through all the hassle of re-pre-ordering when everything went tits up with the bank, the thing is, one of the reasons I wanted the pandora was to act as a netbook/portable computer that i could slip into my pocket and take to my friends to copy movies and music to and from, and I, like everyone else has been waiting for an incredibly long time (i'm not blaming people, this is just how it is) I dont know if I want to wait anymore for something that may not be out for another 2-3 months.

There are other things that have taken my interest since I ordered the Pandora, like Nvidia's Tegra or the ION chipsets that will become common place soon and with Nokia creating a 3G netbook. Waiting for the Pandora is becoming tireing, I find myself checking these forums almost daily for any good news, and its starting to become a chore to do instead of the pleasure it once was.

I hope the Pandora comes out before the end of October (Windows 7 release and new ION based products) or I will regretably find myself looking at a refund, it's not something I want to do, just something I may be forced to do :(

C,mon you lot at the production factories, pull your finger out!!

it is too bad, however it is understandable. Those of us who have paid for a Pandora have done so because of what this device represents. The freedom to have what WE want the WAY we want it. However the only way to do this was for the Devs to get the money up front and go through the learning curves of making a project this ambitious become a reality. Even though I have only been on the waiting list for about 5 months, my wife already thinks I have been ripped off. I keep telling her things are moving along at an understandable pace but that hasn't really eased her mind about it. I can only imagine what she would be saying had I been on the original preorder. My guess is she would have insisted I stop at nothing to get a refund by now. It can be disheartening to see people who are to the point where they need to post for reassurance but that is something they feel compelled to do and I for one am fine with it.
Sometimes that reasurance is all we need to keep on hangin' on. I know it helps me as every time it happens just a bit more info seems to come to light.

It seems that people get more anxious towards the end. Perhaps they are worried about the future; What to do after waiting for Pandora? Maybe it's hysteria - it's now or never! Or is there just an other, more impatient group of people who become more vocal during this groundbreaking phase?

borgqueenx said:
its to bad these threads of people with fear are beginning to rise and keep living on page 1.

I think, just maybe, its because you've bumped them all.

fiori_musicali said:
It seems that people get more anxious towards the end. Or is there just an other, more impatient group of people who become more vocal during this groundbreaking phase?

This.

I'm one of these that have fear, and it's rising. I hope Pandora finally succeeds, but faith is decreasing...

timofonic said:
I'm one of these that have fear, and it's rising. I hope Pandora finally succeeds, but faith is decreasing...
i understand. i just dont hope the pandora will die out, and no one will make emulators and software for it anymore.
I also have fear for a longer time until the status will go shipped...

rumsey said:
borgqueenx said:
its to bad these threads of people with fear are beginning to rise and keep living on page 1.

I think, just maybe, its because you've bumped them all.
forums are ment for discussion. I was mentioning something or replying to someone. could have been someone else to if i didnt do it.

Poem58 said:
Even though I have only been on the waiting list for about 5 months, my wife already thinks I have been ripped off. I keep telling her things are moving along at an understandable pace but that hasn't really eased her mind about it. I can only imagine what she would be saying had I been on the original preorder. My guess is she would have insisted I stop at nothing to get a refund by now.
Heh, I can sympathize with you - and now I know I'm not the only one! ;)

I tried to explain the whole open-source community nature of the project but I couldn't get her to change her attitude of "dead money" that could be "sitting on the mortgage" while we waited for it to be released. I did explain that without pre-orders then there would be no development, to no avail.

And so I wait, hoping that there actually will be a 2nd batch made...

yeah i understand. i didnt preorder it because i want to wait for the second batch. i know the release date was impossible, the pandora has so good specs it normal its take time. but anyway no others handheld like this exist and we have to give a chance to craigix to end his project. i dont think we will be dissapointed, because the handheld will be awesome, however its take too many time to finish, its very sad. and im dreaming of a pandora with a oled screen, i think i will have to wait some years.

anyway if it dont takes years i will buy pandora in the second batch. But i must admit they must have said since the beginning, that it could be long to build the handheld. no one think several months ago that pandora will still be not completed.

i understand you all very well, the time to build it was not acceptable and fear is normal for 350$, but im pretty sure it will be awesome. worth the wait finally !

Still interested in this device! Although to be honest, I've only been waiting 5-6 months unlike the other folks who ordered theirs a year ago. But then again I haven't really been "waiting" either. I just occasionally check to see the advancements.

Back