By The End Of The Year?

If it doesn't materialize by January, I'm putting in more money.

The little guy typically needs more help than the hulking behemoth.

All this talk of bottle-necks is making me thirsty.

To be worried now, when everything is coming to a neat conclusion is a little bewildering.

Michael got the new keymat, the keys are perfect, but it's a good thing we got a set of samples as the rubber isn't quite soft enough, after a while the Dpad gives some ache on the thumb, so the 4000 are going to be ~20% softer.

I know I keep repeating but it's little things like that which make all the difference on a device you will likely be using for at least 2 years.

The level of tweaking going into this is really great. I hope we can see pictures of the keymat soon :B

craigix said:
To be worried now, when everything is coming to a neat conclusion is a little bewildering.

Michael got the new keymat, the keys are perfect, but it's a good thing we got a set of samples as the rubber isn't quite soft enough, after a while the Dpad gives some ache on the thumb, so the 4000 are going to be ~20% softer.

I know I keep repeating but it's little things like that which make all the difference on a device you will likely be using for at least 2 years.
i just hope the typing goes as smooth as pressing a key on a notebook. (in means of pushing the button, not how easy it will go)

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:

Perhaps you should have made your thumbs ~20% harder? Much easier!

thats easy, got a nice bottle of crazy glue around?

apply some nice 3-4 times yo get hard fingers fo real'

doesnt like the idea?

go buy some rubber gloves and cook em in the oven for a while and voila!

XD

i didnt get what craig meant

is the new keymat 20% softer, or still needs 20% more softness since it is just a simple sample.
didnt they say all the batch was sent?

EvilDragon said:
Bosbeetle said:
Are speakers, LCD screens and nubs also stocked somewhere? And is everything ready for assembly?

Just asking?

Yep.

So the nubs have been updated with the fixed code then?

Pleng said:
EvilDragon said:
Well, seeing that the boards are here and working and the only thing left is the case (which will be finished just before October or middle of October, depending on if the Chinese factory can finish the mould just before the chines holidays)

So the case has become the cause of delays once more, then? After Craig saying only a few days ago that the production of the boards is now the bottleneck???

The first 100 or so boards are not a bottleneck because they are made and tested - they ARE being held up by the case, in effect. Once the cases are done, if they fit/work then there will be 10,000 of them - and the REST of the boards become the bottleneck as they take longer to populate than the cases do to knock out.

craigix said:
I know I keep repeating but it's little things like that which make all the difference on a device you likely won't be using for at least 2 years.

Sorry. I like the level of attention to detail, but that adjudtment HAD to be made...

;)

Xian Long said:
...you should have waited for the second batch or whatnot when the pandora will...

Funny. We thought we had been waiting a damn long time already.

College people and friends have their iPod touches, PSPs and whatnot, whilst we sit around deviceless and missing £200. I'm sure a fair number of us aren't too happy. Sorry, but that's the reality.

Anyone else remember when computer companies did this? Announce pre-order, get money, then start production of the product. Many of them failed as the tech progressed at such a rapid rate in the 80s and 90s. Any delay over around 6 months or so would've killed it.

OpenPandora are exempt since the device is portable. Damn portability exceptions.

4000-105=3895 ops

3895/300= 12.983....=>13. days

13/5= 2,6 =>3 ~ 3 weeks (5+2,5+2,+3~+2)=19 days + shipping times.

300/8 Hours/ 60 min.=0.625 hmm

1/0.625 = 1.6 Min

conclusion.

just hope to get it bef Xmas.

@CC_Machine

I don't think it's portability. Because OMAP 3xxx portable devices are out now. I think it's the unique design that makes all of us wait.

@DroneB

I don't believe they sold 4,000. My guess is it's in the 2,000-2,500 area.

@ Phawx,

i dk how you know that stuff, but there will be 3000++ for sure after they release the first 105.

i was thinking if the OP Team would diferentiate those who putted the money before the 105 release and those who pay after the 105 release.

CC_machine said:
College people and friends have their iPod touches, PSPs and whatnot, whilst we sit around deviceless and missing £200.

Deviceless? I find that just a little hard to believe. I can appreciate that you may not have bought something after committing to a Pandora pre-order, but surely you had something before?

Go pick up a Nokia N810, it'll make you appreciate what Open Pandora are trying to put together all the more.

craigix said:

2 Years! I sure hope I'll be playing with this for longer than 2 years! I hope to show mine to my grandchildren. "Look, children before your new-fangled interactive 3D Holo-spheres we had bombjack, manic miner and jet set willy. Oh, have I showed you me magic pockets?"

So, yeah, I want mine to last longer than 2 years. Hope there's no built in obsolescence....

Hahaha,

me 2, i expect it to last a nice long life.

and not the same story as my vanilla GB that died after 6 years of combat (it went all crippled, first lost the batt lid, then got the audio jack damaged, at the end it could barely read the cartridges.

for the panda i just expect that the LCD last the least but not too short i hope, then the keyboard keymat will start loosing the epoxy blobs, the batt lid a little runny but still on place, a brand new non-memory effect rechargeable batt (hope the tech reachs there).

the day i will have to use converters to use the AV cable, no longer gonna need the old dusty charger, and when everyone think that USB is some kind of transport, that day will be the one we will joke about the trolls saying it will never see the light of the day.

I originally guessed Pandora would take 8/12 months for the mainboard, 4 months for custom hardware (nubs,keypad etc) 4 more for the case, then 2 for the battery/stylus etc, after that I added 6 months for tweaks, debugging etc, then 3 for assembly and launch, plus the mandatory (in the trade) 4 months + afewdays(tm) "c*ckup time"

seriously, working in industrial manufacture, that was what I expected, that was BEFORE the change to OMAP, before the world economy went down the pan, before the nub manufacturer went bust, before the banks developed anal retention to the nth degree, before the issues tweaking the case design where sorted, all you critics make me laugh, get outa school and get a real job,thats when you find out that flowcharts and process scheduling count for little when the product has to work for real, made by real firms with real people, in my firm, on our last project, we had to totally redesign ordered product when a key manufacturer changed their whole range of hydraulics for "better, improved" stuff, "better" apart from it was dimensioned differently and ran to different specs etc, 8 months panic scramble to redesign and test/approve, customer got promised hardware nearly 11 months later, I doubt they will be back.

building a "from scratch" state of the art device with an informal group of "netizens" in such a short space of time is impressive, think about it, Sony have just released the cheapened "slim" PS3, right now their R&D engineers are working on PS4 prototypes, almost certainly have been playing with concepts since the PS3 came out and they finalised the design for the "slim", you won`t hear squat from Sony about PS4 until their profits start to drop, then they will leak news after the Sony board have seen the Prototype PS4 in action and approved it, say another year or so, then the hype build for a year or more, but development devices exist right now, OP have done well to get a state of the art device out in under two years.

remember I initialy assumed about 3 years(ish) for (respectfully) amateurs doing it (if they did have a clue), Sony (admittedly in a comfy position but well equiped and funded), have so far spent more man hours and money on the PS4 (R&D staff take home wages, labs need lighting, heating, insuring etc), of that you can almost be certain, whinging cos your latest techno bling is late IYO, is silly, if it aint out by the new year, then feel entitled to complain, me?, I am going to order another.......

Gilrad said:
I don't see where all this talk of the OP team failing and people losing out with their money.

Remember: They presented everything they own as collateral for project funding.

We don't know that to be the case. And if indeed that is true then that is not a good thing. If they have put down everything they own down as collateral then they have nothing left to fall back on if they need to raise funds needed to, for instance, refund people who cancel their preorders.

craigix said:

Didn't you say something similar about 2 months ago??

The mighty Gruso has risen,
look after your kitten.
He must be appeased,
of the results - you will not be pleased.

Back