Button Layout Poll - The Final Chapter

Plain and simple, GP2X layout or SNES layout.

• GP2X

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • SNES

Votes: 164 86.3%

• Total voters

Creature XL said:
Opps. Erm.. looks like you are right. :)

Oh crikey, don't go around saying things likem that. especially on this forum. You'll upset the cosmic balance. Or something ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
-Tj- said:
For example, if the buttons had number assignments internally...
Code:
1   4
... then developers could call those numbers when they make their games, and have their text display the name of the button based on the user's name for them.
We are likely to use this (from software point of view, not physical buttons). Current suggestion is to use
Code:
4   2
as it matches the clock order so should be intuitive/easy to remember.

Another idea is to use
Code:
4   6
This matches keypad layout on PC keyboards (the keys with arrows often printed on them).
Comments?

notaz said:
Another idea is to use
Code:
4   6
This makes the most sense to me, with the following hardware scheme..

6 = Y
2 = B
4 = A
8 = X

After messing with a DS last night (for size testing etc.), it occurred to me that it might be better to have the main select button right next to the right hand side joystick.
This would make sense as the devs are planning on using the stick as a mouse controller, but a lot of people didn't want to use the left and right triggers as the mouse buttons.

EDIT: Wrong button order.

I vote for the first or something like it, since I personally find the second very unintuitive. I've almost always used the proper direction keys, not the numpad for movement in games. But that aside, what do the face buttons have to do with the direction buttons? This way is just going to beg the asking of "what did you do with the others."

Something clockwise or counterclockwise would be fine. Really you'd may as well just go with the numbering that something popular for PC uses:

http://www.tokoamd.com/toko/products_pictures/rumblepad2.jpg

Only GP32X could have an argument about the aesthetics of a user invisible arbitrary set of codenames...

I suggest new ideas for anyone wanting to join in! :p

Numbered as on a clock:
Code:
9   3
Named after OpenPandora team members:
Code:
       Craig
MWeston     DJWillis
     EvilDragon
Or possibly forum members! Poll to decide who!

Given the first letter of the playstation layout shape:
Code:
  T
C   S
  C oh wait
Bonus points for a reason the duplicated letter won't matter.

Aninhumer said:
Named after OpenPandora team members:
Code:
       Craig
MWeston     DJWillis
     EvilDragon

No offense to DJWillis, but that list should really be like this:

Code:
       Craig
MWeston     Mfk
     EvilDragon

-God Ginrai

notaz said:
We are likely to use this (from software point of view, not physical buttons). Current suggestion is to use
Code:
4   2
as it matches the clock order so should be intuitive/easy to remember.

Another idea is to use
Code:
4   6
This matches keypad layout on PC keyboards (the keys with arrows often printed on them).
Comments?
The first one makes sense. I was going to suggest starting 1 at one of the accepted "OK" locations (either right or bottom) to make it easy for devs to remember, but I don't think it will matter if it's an accepted standard. Eventually it'll just get memorized.

The 2nd one is more difficult to remember, but seeing as I've played several emulated DOS and PC98 games that adhere to that layout, it makes sense in that way.

My vote goes with the first one.

Back