Button Scheme

Shouldn't you have the entire Dvorak layout memorized? If you don't, theres not much sense in using it anyway.

HealyHQ said:
After studying the buttons for a few minutes, I actually noticed something rather peculiar. Well, maybe it's just me. I am a bit...different in my thoughts than most...but I digress. The layout used on the Pandora reminds me much of the SONY layout. Maybe you'll see it also if I explain myself: the normal configuration for the Playstation controller is of course, X, O, /\, []. Now look at the letters on the Pandora, which are the same letters used as a Nintendo device. The order... on the Pandora, the X is in the same position as the X button on a Playstation controller. Above that is Y. One could argue [...]
Then again, maybe I'm just thinking about it too hard.

Yes. Yes, you are :)

Slightly off-topic trivia:

There's something very simple most people seem to miss when it comes to the Playstation symbols.
20px-PlayStationCircle.svg.png
Circle: one line
20px-PlayStationX.svg.png
Cross: two lines
20px-PlayStationTriangle.svg.png
Triangle: three lines
20px-PlayStationSquare.svg.png
Square: four lines

If you take A,B,X,Y in numerical order (1,2,3,4) then despite the labelling, Playstation actually uses the same layout as Nintendo:

1-1209223-1860-t.jpg

Which is one reason why Circle is 'OK' and Cross is 'Cancel' in Japanese games. (There's probably also cultural element; I think circle/cross are equivalent to tick/cross in Japan)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kagato said:
HealyHQ said:
After studying the buttons for a few minutes, I actually noticed something rather peculiar. Well, maybe it's just me. I am a bit...different in my thoughts than most...but I digress. The layout used on the Pandora reminds me much of the SONY layout. Maybe you'll see it also if I explain myself: the normal configuration for the Playstation controller is of course, X, O, /\, []. Now look at the letters on the Pandora, which are the same letters used as a Nintendo device. The order... on the Pandora, the X is in the same position as the X button on a Playstation controller. Above that is Y. One could argue [...]
Then again, maybe I'm just thinking about it too hard.

Yes. Yes, you are :)

Slightly off-topic trivia:

There's something very simple most people seem to miss when it comes to the Playstation symbols.
20px-PlayStationCircle.svg.png
Circle: one line
20px-PlayStationX.svg.png
Cross: two lines
20px-PlayStationTriangle.svg.png
Triangle: three lines
20px-PlayStationSquare.svg.png
Square: four lines

If you take A,B,X,Y in numerical order (1,2,3,4) then despite the labelling, Playstation actually uses the same layout as Nintendo:

1-1209223-1860-t.jpg

Which is one reason why Circle is 'OK' and Cross is 'Cancel' in Japanese games. (There's probably also cultural element; I think circle/cross are equivalent to tick/cross in Japan)

Actually, Circle (Maru) and Cross (Batsu) already have positive and negative connotations in Japanese. Have you ever seen in an anime when they get their tests back? You know they did well if all you see are random red circles all over the paper.

-God Ginrai

greendots said:
Shouldn't you have the entire Dvorak layout memorized? If you don't, theres not much sense in using it anyway.
Memorized for touch-typing is not the same as memorized in general. I can touch-type without looking. (In fact I've got one of those unlabeled keyboards.) but I couldn't list off the letters in QWERTY order if my life depended on it.

greendots said:
Like VRAndy said: it's 'memorized' for touchtyping. And my complete hands for that. In this case I would only type with my thumbs, which would have to learn this layout completely anew.

And yes, there is much sense in using it. QWERTY is evil.

Too bad that, contrary to legend, DVORAK has never been proven to be superior.

/me ducks.

Alibobar said:
^ for me it has.
Humans are funny creatures. We're capable of convincing ourselves untrue things, usually without even noticing. And it's a good thing we do, because the world would make a lot less sense if we didn't.
Rain dances work because the witch doctor dances until it starts to rain. If he dances and dances and there's no rain, it's because the gods are punishing him and he needs to dance harder. Finally, when it does rain (because it always rains eventually), it's proof that the rain dance works! Our brains are are more or less wired that correlation == causation. This is where stereotypes come from.
You might think it has worked for you, but the people wearing those magnetic bracelets swear that they're the greatest things in existence too.

:lol: Glad my little question got turned into an all out SNES/DS/GP2X/BBQFTW thread. :D

Can I consider myself initiated?

Kdeeze said:
:lol: Glad my little question got turned into an all out SNES/DS/GP2X/BBQFTW thread. :D

Can I consider myself initiated?
[sub]Shhh! We can't talk about that in public, remember.[/sub]

@WizardStan: now that is a totally non-analogous example.

Considering that I do not use a typewriter and do not want my top row to spell it out I see no personal use for the qwerty layout.
After typing on qwerty for at least 10 years I was suprised that 1) it only took me a week or 2 to learn dvorak simplified english 2) in this time I could actually type it faster and better than qwerty and 3) my carpal tunnel had nearly disappeared.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here, I'm just saying that I am convinced and that I do not see any use for the qwerty layout on a handheld device.
If I'm going to type anything I would be glad to be 1) mostly on a single row of letters 2) switching 'thumbs' as often as possible 3) have a layout I can 'memorize' easilly.

Therefore, for my computing experience, the dvorak layout is more advantageous in many ways.
(and qwerty is just evil <_< )

So, stickers it is.

/me snips his fingers and magically appears a set of tiny stickers to put on the pandora keyboard.

hooray \o/

So, how easy will it be to change the keyboard layout?

Back