Bugs and Calculations

i'm fine with 3G in the US (and also everywhere else, sounds nice to work everywhere); i'm planning to use Pyra for calls/SMS and nothing more. also maybe GPS would come in handy with a nice open source map application...

and cheaper sounds good, too, though i'll be getting the functionality regardless.

The PLS8-X might be better to use for the US model, because it supports more frequencies.

If I expected a 4G system to come later I may delay for that. I cannot afford to buy two Pyras.

So it seems the V-version won't be suitable at all, as I guess "LTE only" means there are no fallback options if LTE would not be available.
It's CDMA only.

The PLS8-X might be better to use for the US model, because it supports more frequencies.
It's a CDMA hybrid, those frequencies won't be in use in GSM mode AFAIK, it adds a bunch of things for CDMA use.

I seem to recall CDMA devices don't use SIM cards and are approved and identified by the carrier from the CDMA equivalent of the IMEI? If so getting CDMA isn't going to help, I doubt any US carrier will adopt the Pyra...

I seem to recall CDMA devices don't use SIM cards and are approved and identified by the carrier from the CDMA equivalent of the IMEI? If so getting CDMA isn't going to help, I doubt any US carrier will adopt the Pyra...
Verizon and Sprint now use SIM cards on their CDMA devices.

Verizon and Sprint now use SIM cards on their CDMA devices.

Then (if they allow any device on their networks) it would be interesting to see how many US people are interested in CDMA and how much that rises the modem cost.

That would also be a splendid way to kill first batch orders and piss off all Dragonbox early adopters forever...
Why? The reactions to this possibillity in this thread are controversal, but no one seems to be "pissed off" so far.
Some eventually may be, but "all" and "forever" seems a bit exaggerated.

Of course this solution would not be ideal, so lets see how this will work out.

For sure it will be interesting to wait and see what an analysation of the pre-preorders and the amount of the different ordererd versions will show.

Last edited:
Then (if they allow any device on their networks) it would be interesting to see how many US people are interested in CDMA and how much that rises the modem cost.
Well looking into it more, it seems Verizon at least, while you can swap out the SIM card to another device even from another carrier, you still need to activate the device from their website and it uses a pull down of known devices.

EDIT: Well there is an option for Other in a connected device section... so who knows.

I would not trust Verizon to allow it.
FTFY. ;)

Company preference aside, we still don't know that ANYONE will allow us to use the Pyra on their network, and those that do may only allow it to be used for data. I don't even know what to ask so I can find out. I get the feeling that an average salesperson or customer service rep won't be able to give me a good answer that I can act on. I am sticking with T-Mobile in some form unless I need to switch.

Cricket told me I can use any device. The rep said I can even make one myself and use it. He said if it's standard GSM it will work.

Cricket told me I can use any device. The rep said I can even make one myself and use it. He said if it's standard GSM it will work.

Cricket will not work at all with the PHS8-E from what I can tell. No voice and no data. I actually can't find any US carriers that have the required frequency support.

Cricket uses frequencies 850 and 1900 for GSM and 3G. PHS8-E uses 900 and 1800 for GSM and 900 and 2100 for UMTS/HSPA+.

Cricket also uses 700, 1700 ,1900, and 2300 for LTE.

T-Mobile looks no better. I thought you maybe could get 3G since T-Mobile uses 2100, but as it turns out the device needs 1700 AND 2100 for those frequencies to get you 3G. PHS8-E does not offer 1700.

Here's another +1 for a US 4G module being necessary, but I'll go one step further: what if, at least for the first batch, there were a way for people who want 4G to donate or pay a higher price to defray the cost of meeting MOQ? I couldn't afford four Pyras, but I'd be willing to pay for two or four or ten 4G modules if that's what it takes to get to MOQ for US 4G - I'm *dying* to dispense with my Android and just carry an actual proper pocket computer around.

Who else is in?

Yep. I would like to use Cricket as well.

But between PLS8-US, PLS8-E, and PHS8-E, the only option for US support I can see is to use the PLS8-US.

Let me know if you got any further questions :)

I'm sure I've missed this somewhere, but is there some place I can sign up to be emailed when you are doing pre-orders? I don't want to get caught up in RL and then come back to notice I've missed pre-orders.

-God Ginrai

Back