Cellular Discussion [Split from] Bugs and Calculations

@Luke-Jr Hm, regarding network transparency I'd prefer setting this up on top for when it's needed, not generally. Are there/might there be stripped down X components or reimplementations for just that?

Is "display server into the compositor" to be taken literal? Wouldn't it then be feasible expected to have means of graceful disconnects and time outs in place and ways to connect to a new server/compositor?

@Silent-Hunter Indeed, it has.

Last edited:
Compositors are complex and tend to have bugs because they try to do complex things, such as 3D effects which typically link in OpenGL drivers including shader compilers (LLVM). This is a whole lot of code.
[doublepost=1461019968,1461019813][/doublepost]
@Luke-Jr Hm, regarding network transparency I'd prefer setting this up on top for when it's needed, not generally. Are there/might there be stripped down X components or reimplementations for just that?
It would definitely be better to put network transparency in Qt, at the widget layer, so text and designs get sent over the network rather than images.
But nobody is working on that AFAIK, and it's no trivial project.

Is "display server into the compositor" to be taken literal? Wouldn't it then be feasible expected to have means of graceful disconnects and time outs in place and ways to connect to a new server/compositor?
It'd need to be in every single application. And what happens when applications fail to implement something necessary, like remembering what virtual desktop their window was on, or whether it was minimised, etc?

It'd need to be in every single application. And what happens when applications fail to implement something necessary, like remembering what virtual desktop their window was on, or whether it was minimised, etc?
Defaults. :)
Or give them a library.

I highly recommend not utilizing a fire piston
I always wanted to try one. Instead I just use lighters or matches. Perhaps some people think a fire piston is pointless, but I just want to see how well it would work with whatever is in the areas that I visit. I suppose if I was really concerned I should learn a more traditional way to start a fire. There are some varieties of "rubbing sticks" that should work for me.

And as I said, I'm going to keep the default OS installed and up to date. I don't see me setting up, what I'd like to have, in any funktional way in the foreseeable future.
Edit: Even if I get there, I'll keep the default as a fall back.
My plan is to have the default OS as what I usually use. I want to play a few other things (Slackware, Gentoo, some flavor of BSD, maybe something derived from Solaris, or other random things) from microSD. If i find one of those suitable for all my needs, and I can set up all the core functionality, I may stick with it for a while. I would rather stick with Debian just because it I will have more people here who can help me out when I do something stupid.

As for showing off, I don't care about that (and is it really showing off when everyone probably thinks you are playing a weird 3/DS? I figure everyone just thinks I am a loser.). I get the things I like for use. I really prefer strangers leave me alone, although I will talk about my weird little devices with those that seem genuinely interested (which should help me get more weird little devices if those people buy their own, and ED and others keep making them).

It would definitely be better to put network transparency in Qt, at the widget layer, so text and designs get sent over the network rather than images.
But nobody is working on that AFAIK, and it's no trivial project.
I like this idea. I wonder if it is worth it.

I always wanted to try one. Instead I just use lighters or matches. Perhaps some people think a fire piston is pointless, but I just want to see how well it would work with whatever is in the areas that I visit. I suppose if I was really concerned I should learn a more traditional way to start a fire. There are some varieties of "rubbing sticks" that should work for me.

If you go looking for a fire piston, get one in a large diameter form. I have a pen sized one and compressing it fast and violently enough to create an ember bruises the hands badly.

They do not work well at all with found materials. Bone dry char cloth is the only thing that seems to work well.

There are 'clear' lexan ones that let you see the ignition flash. I should have bought one in that style instead of the machined aluminum pen type.

I've removed all DEs and the DM from my desktop debian testing install and are back to the good old times of startx (when X is required; don't care for Wayland yet, because most interesting - to me - things still require X and will continue to do so for a while). Also found out that wpa_supplicant (plus trivial shell scripting) alone is fully sufficient for my (simple) needs and ditched NetworkManager (which seems to gain weight at an alarming pace and in my case was the last piece requiring the dbus-daemon; so two services less to start on startup).

Having Debian as a base is still nice because I don't have to compile all dependencies of interesting things myself (sometimes different versions or compile settings are needed, so some packages still have to be build manually).

Back on topic: especially for mobile data and voice support the default install will have to be significantly larger than such a minimal system. And the baseline for dbp's most probably, too. Which is totally fine.

To the cellular modules: At the moment it's all about the cellphone frequencies. I'm not sure what to vote, because I might be more intrested in having GPS instead of highest speed for cell/ internet. So have all variants we deiscuss GPS or not?

To the cellular modules: At the moment it's all about the cellphone frequencies. I'm not sure what to vote, because I might be more intrested in having GPS instead of highest speed for cell/ internet. So have all variants we deiscuss GPS or not?
There's a poll already?

Yes, all are GPS, and all frequencies are incremental: the 4G supports the 3G and 2G frequencies.
The problem is that EvilDragon isn't sure he can get enough orders to make the minimum order quantity for the parts. In order to use the 4G chips he'd need 500 US buyers and 500 EU buyers, because it only comes in distinct variants. On the other hand, if he goes with the 3G, it has a "World" version available which includes both the US and EU frequencies in one package, so he'd only need 500 total instead of 1000.

Could somebody explain me how awesome and no X can be achieved on the same machine ?

EDIT: Didn't see there where 2 more pages of discussion and that the discussion went somewhere else.

Could somebody explain me how awesome and no X can be achieved on the same machine ?
Since I was the one, who said he'd like to have that. AFAIK, there's no way, today. There's a wm called waysome out there. Haven't looked into it that much, though. So, I cannot say, if it aims at compatibility with awesome.

Oh, then I guess that's why I didn't look into it any further. Sry, didn't remember.

Am I understanding correctly, that even the PLS8-US does not support T-Mobile 3G (only 2G and 4G), and does not support VoLTE, so as a result:
  • Voice calls will not work outside of 2G coverage
  • Voice calls will cause data interruption and drop to 2G speeds
  • When 2G is discontinued (can't be that far off now?), voice calls will no longer work
Note that even if these are all true, I'd still prefer the 4G module over 3G - but as a result, I may need to seriously reconsider getting the WiFi version and just tethering, especially if voice call support is still completely uncertain when first batch orders are being made. (On the other hand, maybe getting a data-only addon plan for the Pyra would make sense?)
I really hope there is some way to make calls without 2G, as they're turning it off: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/2g-phase-out.77655/#post-1385938

VoLTE is 4G. Making phone calls with 3G is fully supported by both the PLS8 and T-Mobile. No idea where the "PLS8-US doesn't support T-Mobile 3G" came from because I'm fairly certain there's nothing preventing it.

VoLTE is 4G. Making phone calls with 3G is fully supported by both the PLS8 and T-Mobile. No idea where the "PLS8-US doesn't support T-Mobile 3G" came from because I'm fairly certain there's nothing preventing it.
I'm actually concerned about Cricket/AT&T, but knowing that 3G supports calls GREATLY allays my fears, thank you!

T-mobile uses a non standard band for 3G that no other carrier in the world uses. The PLS8 does not support that band but they are setting up 3G on "normal" bands and I believe the plan at one point was to move there 2G towers to 3G on the standard 2G band that the PLS8 would support. I don't know if that's still the plan.

According to Wikipedia, T-Mobile uses bands 2 and 4 for 3G (and 2, 4, and 12 for LTE). 2 and 4 are supported by the PLS8-US in both 3G and LTE. What non-standard band are you talking about? I know T-Mobile uses AWS fairly widely because that was what my old phone predominantly used whenever I'd visit the US and I never had much trouble.

Back