Blog Update - Look! It's A Desktop!

how is he, "right-clicking" to bring up the context menu?

TaG said:
I thought Hando had moved to ED's server.
He wanted to do it, but he didn't, unfortunately.

Edit:
Right click equals long click.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon what about sound? Can you post a video exhibiting the sound capabilities?

And why is it not accelerated? Has TI not yet supplied the SGX driver?

Apart from that it looks fantastic - the screen looks really big.

Okay, thought so. Works fine for me. Can't wait!

Very nice video! It shows a lot of what the little machine can do.

Also posted the video on my own website.

Keep up the good work Pandora team :D

Looks really nice so far. So will enlightenment also come with the Pandora on the NAND, as the full desktop mode?

Looking forward to the 3D driver being introduced (giving acceleration) as well as the wifi and touchscreen stuff being sorted out.

It's not often we get an update as big as this - it seems ages ago that ED showed the first Gmenu prototype.

Its a nice update, although it'll be even sweeter when the entire thing's assembled. Kudos on putting that much software in that small of a space.

Although I have to agree with Tag that using enlightenment on a system shipping with matchbox will probably confuse people who haven't been following along.

mazza558 said:
Looks really nice so far. So will enlightenment also come with the Pandora on the NAND, as the full desktop mode?
Not according to ED's post earlier...
EvilDragon said:
Yep, we'll use Matchbox as WM for the advanced mode AND the minimal mode (without any window decorations) :)

TaG said:
mazza558 said:
Not according to ED's post earlier...
EvilDragon said:
Yep, we'll use Matchbox as WM for the advanced mode AND the minimal mode (without any window decorations) :)
But why does he mention still needing to tweak the desktop before it's ready for use?

Either way, I really hope they go for E17 instead of Matchbox - looks a lot sleeker and I haven't seen anything from Matchbox which is as impressive.

craigix said:
I've dugg it, we're having a good day so far, keypad and this video :)
The Digg comments look like they've been paid for - Digg users won't like that :p

Yeah, I thought the E17 looked good - not sure quite why it needs changing.

Dugg. Shame it's not a separate openpandora.org page that could be dugg and drive up the page rank too. Maybe the new PR guy will consider it.

TaG said:
Yeah, I thought the E17 looked good - not sure quite why it needs changing.

Dugg. Shame it's not a separate openpandora.org page that could be dugg and drive up the page rank too. Maybe the new PR guy will consider it.
Big difference between 'looking good', and 'functional'.

This is an extremely high density 800x480 4.3" screen, and in such an environment, conventional window managers such as E17 do not work well.

Nice work guys and another milestone
e14482lf0.gif

It getting close now...

OH MY GOD THAT'S AWESOME!

Is the final UI going to look similar to that, or will it be very different?
Either way, I'm happy to see that things are continuing to take shape.

Couple of things that are obvious in the video:
1) The touch screen dissent appear to be very accurate.

2) On soutch a small screen the user interfaces will need a lot of optimising, basically getting rid of everything that is not absolutely nesoserry, In the videos the screen will look bigger than it actually is because of zoom.

3) Using a floating window manager on a small screen is pointless because applications are going to be too small to be useful unless they are fullscreen. A tiling window manager with a limited number of splits per tag and no window decorations would make much better use of the limited screen space.

Back