Blog Update - Look! It's A Desktop!

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Hessiess said:
The only compatibility problems are with applications such as GIMP, that use multiple windows.
If I remember correctly; at one time there was a quick hack that binded all of the separate Gimp windows into one to make it more like a standard program. I tried it out but decided against it as I actually quite like the separate windows. It could have been part of GimpShop and will probably be quite easy to implement if needed.

Not too sure about other programs that work in the same way though. Which others did you have in mind?

I too like GIMP's multi window layout because its easy to work on many images simultaneously. But on a device with very limited screen space there is very little room left for the accrual image you are editing.

In a always maximised tabbing window manager(only one app visible at a time, others run in the background), which would make the best use of the limited screen space, any application which spawns sub windows such as dialogue boxes would be unusable because the sub windows would be assigned to separate tabs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great update - good to see an actual distro running on the P.

Phawx said:
is that a separate stylus or the one we should be getting?
I hope that's not what we're getting, as it was a pencil.

MDave said:
Hey EvilDragon, I highly suggest hosting a wallpaper competition ;) It would generate a lot of buzz, be fun and should be overall pretty cool to have a chance of having a part of the community contribute to the pandora, even if its a small thing :p
I think this is a really good idea. Even if wallpaper uses a tad more ram.

Does indeed look very nice.

Off topic: Hey DJWillis, I just noticed you're from Bath, good to know that more than one Pandora will (eventually) be finding its way to our good city. :)

joa said:
MDave said:
Hey EvilDragon, I highly suggest hosting a wallpaper competition ;) It would generate a lot of buzz, be fun and should be overall pretty cool to have a chance of having a part of the community contribute to the pandora, even if its a small thing :p

As if the dev team don't have enough on their plate already.

quartercast said:
joa said:
MDave said:

As if the dev team don't have enough on their plate already.

well that was constructive! douche.

All it would need from a dev is a "go ahead, we'll use the winning wallpaper" then it could easily be done on the board, a thread for entries and a poll to decide the winners.

White Demon said:
Great update - good to see an actual distro running on the P.

Phawx said:
is that a separate stylus or the one we should be getting?
I hope that's not what we're getting, as it was a pencil.

Well, it's not what you'll get but it wasn't a pencil :)
It was the stylus from my mobile phone ;)

Last edited:
Its nice to see that people who got angry some days ago that there were no vids of the ASSEMBLED Pandora last WE and the WE before, as some have assumed. Now they are all happy with a vid from a still not assembled P and with software which is NEVER considered to be used on the P (Enlightment vs Matchbox).

All in all we have lots of P-fanbois here. But that is Ok. The negative atmosphere the last weeks here was so bad. :)

ED and the rest, keep up the good work.

BTW, i am NOT sure it was a good idea to send this vid to all the main sites. Because it is NOT what it WILL be!

The point is, it will be what you want it to be ;) There will be dozens of alternatives soon after release.
It might take a while to accept that kind of freedom :rolleyes:

Creature XL said:
Its nice to see that people who got angry some days ago that there were no vids of the ASSEMBLED Pandora last WE and the WE before, as some have assumed. Now they are all happy with a vid from a still not assembled P and with software which is NEVER considered to be used on the P (Enlightment vs Matchbox).
Well, not true at all. Yes, the WM will be a different - but the programs (FireFox, Pidgin, Abiword, etc.) will be the same ;)

Aaaaand....

mali said:
The point is, it will be what you want it to be ;) There will be dozens of alternatives soon after release.
It might take a while to accept that kind of freedom :rolleyes:
Exactly :)
If you want to use E17, you can. Why not? :)

Last edited:
Hellollo (Como esta? It's from a place called Vertigo...)

Fun video. Thanks, ED. It's exciting to see things coming together.

--Todd

It seems strange that no one brought up the fact that e17 can default to having no window decorations and fullscreen everything. But thats not the problem, the problem is that e17 is still lacking a true "Stable" release, I should know, I use it on a regular basis. Though if we could shore up the releases I think E17 would be a great second choice.

That being said,Matchbox seems to be better documented and more stable in its release cycles which is paramount if the Pandora ever wants to make it main stream. Which might be nice. ;)

Still,I am thrilled that the EFL can run on the Pandora. One, because my program is written in it, and two some of the best looking apps for the n800 were written in it as well. i.e. Canola. amiwrite?

The Opemoko folks use Enlightenment in a similar way to how matchbox works, with all the bling on a very slow cpu with no hardware accel. Maybe there could be some collaboration?

Back