SD Cards

Rasillon

Still Fresh
Hi,

New owner, my Pandora just arrived today and I'm already having fun with it! I've had success settng it up, got lots of things up and running, but I have a query about SD Cards if I may.

I have 2x 32Gb SD cards, labelled PAND1 and PAND2. They both have the correct folder structure on them. On PAND1 I have PCSX-ReARMed‏‎ and some ROMs. This works fine. Excellently in fact. PAND2 has Firefox. PNDManager and some other stuff on it. This also works fine. The issue I have is that they work fine in isolation. If I slot PAND1 in followed by PAND2, the only apps that show on the desktop are the apps on PAND1. None of the apps on PAND2 show. If I slot PAND2 in first, followed by PAND1, only the apps on PAND2 show on the desktop, the ones on PAND1 do not appear.

Is this normal? Only the apps on the SD card slotted in first will show up and be usable? Or is there a setting somewhere that allows apps on BOTH cards to be shown on the desktop? I guess it's not a massive issue if this is the case, but it does mean removing the SD cards then slotting the one with the app you want in first...

Cheers all!

That is NOT typical, I've seen something like that in the past on one of my Pandoras(Pandori?).. but I couldn't duplicate it and wasn't sure what fixed it.

EDIT: Only thing I can think of is if all your stuff is in the menu folder, give it a few seconds until you see the SD card indicator lights to go off before opening the XFCE menu.. It may have not had enough time to update the list of applications available. I know if I open it too quickly it will only show what's on the SD card I put in first.. or none if I really open it quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I can launch stuff from either card via the pnd manager so all is not lost, just a bit odd that only apps on the card slotted first appear as icons...

^Rebooting never should be a fix all solution in Linux, report the issue and the issue can can be looked at properly.. 

The issue for me is my P only mounts SD cards on boot. If plugged in on the fly they dont get mounted. I can manually mount them with terminal, but its much easier to just reboot by popping out the battery and sticking it back in

That isn't typical behavior and should be looked into.

Also Holding the pandora button and sliding the power switch will hard reboot the Pandora.. no need to keep taking out the battery.

If you want to reboot and your system is not frozen, it is better to go to the menu and choose "restart". That makes it do a clean shutdown before rebooting.

It closes any open files so there's no corruption, writes some logs, makes sure all devices are shut down properly.

There *shouldn't* be any problems from a hard reset, but you shouldn't assume everything will play nice if power is suddenly yanked out.

I thought ARM was really flexible in that sense, but I guess the corrupt files thing makes sense
Has nothing to do with architecture. Yanking the battery or forcing an immediate shut down will corrupt any and all files that were in the process of writing on any filesystem that isn't copy on write. When you pull the battery, you're risking the possibility that an important file will be left in an inconsistent state where only part of it has been written, but not all of it. And you're also running the risk that the blocks that comprise the file will be improperly recorded by the filesystem.

If you have to do it, you have to do it, a system that's locked up hard doesn't always give you an option, but it should be avoided if at all possible.

I thought ARM was really flexible in that sense, but I guess the corrupt files thing makes sense

Has nothing to do with architecture. Yanking the battery or forcing an immediate shut down will corrupt any and all files that were in the process of writing on any filesystem that isn't copy on write. When you pull the battery, you're risking the possibility that an important file will be left in an inconsistent state where only part of it has been written, but not all of it. And you're also running the risk that the blocks that comprise the file will be improperly recorded by the filesystem.

If you have to do it, you have to do it, a system that's locked up hard doesn't always give you an option, but it should be avoided if at all possible.
Well I like to boot off SD card anyway. The only time I take the other one out is when Im moving files around. But I'll stop I guess.

Back