Blog Update - Look! It's A Desktop!

bennyboy

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Blog update!

Yay! I got something to show you: Our very first, freshly bitbaken Angström build on the Pandora!

So, I'm gonna show you the desktop (the FULL DESKTOP MODE, not the minimal mode) with some apps. No Pandora-Customized theme (or fonts) yet, that's what I'm gonna do during the next time.

This boots off a single speed SD Card, so it will be much faster on the final unit. It's also not using any accelerated SDL yet (it's just for testing, customizing and selecting the apps we want on the stock Pandora. So while the other devs are enhancing the drivers and making that thing faster, I can already concentrate on the functionality and look-and-feel!)

Oh, and if you think I speak weird stuff on that video... I'm from Germany and just spoke what came to my mind :)

The video on YouTube

Hurray! And big thanks to EvilDragon for this!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty nice stuff!

I wish I could hold it myself already :)

It's going to be awesome that's for sure, seeing it running like it runs now.
Not being optimised or anything.

Great work!!

HELLOLLO

That looks awesomme, can't wait to see it working with the wifi in firefox

Wow, the software is looking great!

Cant wait to get one in my hands!

Just watched this through 3 times in a row to make sure I wasn't seeing things :lol:
It's looking great already so I can't wait to see what it's like after a bit of tweaking.

Cheers for taking the time out in your busy schedule for filming and posting ED and It's nice to see the key mat has arrived too :D

EDIT: Clarification.

I was kind of worried from when he said 'kind of hard to hold it in your hand and use the touchscreen' and then I remembered, that's just the screen... lol
anyway, what is that running on angstrom, what desktop? cant be matchbox

That's a really nice video Ed, if any news posters could submit this to the main tech sites I think it might make a good Pandora update for the mainstream audience :)

PoisonedV said:
I was kind of worried from when he said 'kind of hard to hold it in your hand and use the touchscreen' and then I remembered, that's just the screen... lol
Enlightment, don't know if it's E17

Single speed SD? Does ED mean a 1x SD or a Class 1 SD? Slight difference in speed ( 150 KB/sec vs 1MB/s ). ;)

If we assume Class 1, then with a Transcend Class 6 card ( thats capable off 15MB/s ), you will see a 15 times speed increase in the load ( cpu utilization not counted ). I don't even want to calculate if its a 1x SD card. ;)

O yea. How is the ram usage?

efegea said:
PoisonedV said:
Enlightment, don't know if it's E17

It's E17 from one of my demo images (I have ones floating about with several window managers).

Not matchbox in that image, i'll try and get some shots of that done (in the process of being skinned up).

As an aside (for those that may be interested) it is E17 sitting ontop of XOrg as the XServer (not KDrive).

The image shown comes in at just shy of 170MB with Firefox 3, Abiword, Gimp (well it's not that usable ;) but it works), gNumeric etc. etc. baked in.

It's already on openpandora.es

DJWillis said:
It's E17 from one of my demo images (I have ones floating about with several window managers).

Not matchbox in that image, i'll try and get some shots of that done (in the process of being skinned up).

As an aside (for those that may be interested) it is E17 sitting ontop of XOrg as the XServer (not KDrive).

The image shown comes in at just shy of 170MB with Firefox 3, Abiword, Gimp (well it's not that usable ;) but it works), gNumeric etc. etc. baked in.
Is Matchbox being tweaked? Will it be on the NAND? As you perhaps know, I'm coding an interface (Pangea) that will use Matchbox, should I use the one that is being developed or may I start hacking the original version on matchbox's site?

efegea said:
It's already on openpandora.es

DJWillis said:

Is Matchbox being tweaked? Will it be on the NAND? As you perhaps know, I'm coding an interface (Pangea) that will use Matchbox, should I use the one that is being developed or may I start hacking the original version on matchbox's site?

Yep, we'll use Matchbox as WM for the advanced mode AND the minimal mode (without any window decorations) :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Yep, we'll use Matchbox as WM for the advanced mode AND the minimal mode (without any window decorations) :)
Also for advanced mode? Then what will be the difference betwen advanced and simple mode? I though advanced mode was about resizable windows and a full desktop enviroment, and simple mode full screen applications and launcher

ED please ask Hando again about changing the servers, this server is already dying again.

Great video :lol:
This is the Revolution :D

Fantastic. Thanks ED, and all those that enable it to get to that stage - it's looking good.

(Don't understand why your showing Enlightenment to the world and then saying it won't have Enlightenment though... I understand Matchbox may not be ready, but it sends out a confusing message if/when it appears on the likes of Engadget)

I thought Hando had moved to ED's server.

Back