Big Update From Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
@haptagud - It was all my fault, I miss read Shaun's post. We both read ED's update the same, he was asking a seperate question.

@WizardStan - Your easily pleased :D

@nikkopt - The test were also done with WIFI (blutooth also etc) on. So that's fine. The only thing that gave them concern was from the ribbon cable. And that was with a final board, so everything in that regard should be fine, unless the shielding off the cable somehow made it worse :D

Na-Noo said:
@nikkopt - The test were also done with WIFI (blutooth also etc) on. So that's fine. The only thing that gave them concern was from the ribbon cable. And that was with a final board, so everything in that regard should be fine, unless the shielding off the cable somehow made it worse :D

I just mentioned Wifi because the blog post just says "bluetooth" and also because it was only mentioned to be working recently and not when those tests were made :p

I hope you are right toh..

Last edited by a moderator:
tsh said:
Hmm... Now, it is 10 years since I was involved with any CE testing, but I'm slightly dubious from looking at those plots that just screening the cable to the screen will give enough attenuation. It sounds like ED managed to do some investigations when at the test lab, and this is the type of problem which the test labs fix for their customers every day - so maybe it's OK, but I wouldn't be surprised if several different screening options need to be tried. It is a relief that the spikes don't seem a lot worse with the TV-out, since problems there would be PCB change time. At least with the test results done, it is much easier to do comparison trials of the changes, not needing the full anechoic chamber and calibrated kit. I'd budget for a couple more trips to the test house, or at least the loan of a spectrum analyser!

We did use a Spectrum Analyzer at the test lab to find out about the peaks.
The only peaks we could find with the Spectrum Analyzer were when we followed the LCD Ribbon cable with the Antenna.
There were NO peaks at any other area of the Pandora, so the ingenieur was 99,99% sure it's from the LCD cable (he did suspect it even before measuring it) :)

The re-test will be done with a final unit.

Last edited:
Na-Noo said:
@haptagud - It was all my fault, I miss read Shaun's post. We both read ED's update the same, he was asking a seperate question.

No prob, just been reading so many "it means this, NO it means this" or "they said this, but are doing something else" etc post the last couple of weeks they're getting boring...

Na-Noo said:

That's why I'd rather ED had not said all should be fine, though I agree all "should be fine". However, until a full MP-Pandora is tested we can't really say that the ribbon shielding is fine or not (or indeed causing the problems).

[Edit] Just read ED post above!

nikkopt said:
Na-Noo said:

I just mentioned Wifi because the blog post just says "bluetooth" and also because it was only mentioned to be working recently and not when those tests were made :p

I hope you are right toh..

WIFI was working before but the software wasn't too good, so they could use it, just never had a way to easily configure it etc.
But now we have working WIFI software, drivers everything.
If it wasn't tested then it was because the module has been tested already (Not by OP team). Sorry can't remember, I'm sure someone will correct me.
I wonder if the aerial could make a difference, and if it was the final aerial in the case that was tested?

EDIT - ED's Ninja'd me! Thanks for the clarifications! Sounds like it was also with the final aerial also.

EvilDragon said:
tsh said:
Hmm... Now, it is 10 years since I was involved with any CE testing, but I'm slightly dubious from looking at those plots that just screening the cable to the screen will give enough attenuation. It sounds like ED managed to do some investigations when at the test lab, and this is the type of problem which the test labs fix for their customers every day - so maybe it's OK, but I wouldn't be surprised if several different screening options need to be tried. It is a relief that the spikes don't seem a lot worse with the TV-out, since problems there would be PCB change time. At least with the test results done, it is much easier to do comparison trials of the changes, not needing the full anechoic chamber and calibrated kit. I'd budget for a couple more trips to the test house, or at least the loan of a spectrum analyser!

The only peaks we could find with the Spectrum Analyzer were when we followed the LCD Ribbon cable with the Antenna.
There were NO peaks at any other area of the Pandora, so the ingenieur was 99,99% sure it's from the LCD cable (he did suspect it even before measuring it) :)

Awesome :)

PS: you mean the engineer? :p

EDIT: Just read Na-Noo's post..

I also remember reading that the chip already had some sort of certification (fcc or ce, dunno), but the pandora is being tested as a whole and not just the wifi/bt chip :p . Imagine that the pandora alone is already at the red line, almost crossing the ce limits, just by adding the chip you would be ruining everything. It's not the case here toh.. :D

This thing is never going to be completed! At least it seems that way...

Hi i got my pandora 2 month(tm) ago.
@nikkopt, I do not know about wifi.. but the CE guys here in sweden liked my wireless ULTRA HDMI 2k5 interface that i have added.
works up to 10cm ( if your TV have good connection with GND)
tesla-pandora.png

EvilDragon said:

Sounds like you've got it covered. I'd be inclined to trust the test engineer on this one :)

EvilDragon said:
tsh said:

We know you found issues with the ribbon, and MWeston was looking into it. However, there was never any mention of the antenna.

BackAssward said:
EvilDragon said:
tsh said:

We know you found issues with the ribbon, and MWeston was looking into it. However, there was never any mention of the antenna.

I think he mention the spectral analyzer antenna, not one of the pandora antena

[quote name='nikkopt' date='27 October 2009 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1256654430' I also remember reading that the chip already had some sort of certification (fcc or ce, dunno), but the pandora is being tested as a whole and not just the wifi/bt chip :p . Imagine that the pandora alone is already at the red line, almost crossing the ce limits, just by adding the chip you would be ruining everything. It's not the case here toh.. :D
[/quote]

Was trying to reassure you as it's also another level of testing, as I can't do the necessary search's to back up everything I was saying at the moment. But I know that WIFI was working before and the only thing they where worried about was the ribbon cable. Hence why the boards had started mass production.

Hopefully those sample cases come this week, and all's fine with them. Feels like it's so close it frustrating hahahahaha :D (NOT IN A BAD WAY, well you get what I mean)

Elwing said:
Ok, I may have misread. I'm not sure though that the tests were with the Pandora WIFI and Bluetooth on. In fact, from what was posted, I don't think they were on during the pre CE tests.

Elwing said:
BackAssward said:
EvilDragon said:
tsh said:

Yes, they'll use a very small probe on the analyzer to try and pin-point the source of the radiation. The pandora's wi-fi antenna is very unlikely to cause a problem due to the circuitry it is connected to, which forms part of the transmitter and should be effective at isolating it from the rest of the PCB.

BackAssward said:
Ok, I may have misread. I'm not sure though that the tests were with the Pandora WIFI and Bluetooth on. In fact, from what was posted, I don't think they were on during the pre CE tests.

I hate reading your posts your a twat always demanding evidence even though it's directly on the main blog, your arrogant. if you have ever done anything good for these forum I am sorry. seems to me you poke and poke at every little detail trying to find something that you can make out to be a lie.

Confirm this confirm that... you bloody confirm it we all confirmed it the day we read it on the OFFICIAL BLOG

mvickers03 said:
BackAssward said:

I hate reading your posts your a twat always demanding evidence even though it's directly on the main blog, your arrogant. if you have ever done anything good for these forum I am sorry. seems to me you poke and poke at every little detail trying to find something that you can make out to be a lie.

Confirm this confirm that... you bloody confirm it we all confirmed it the day we read it on the OFFICIAL BLOG
Oh you don't get me at all. I give credit where it is due, and as a successful analyst, I ask pertinent questions when they need asking. If you want to criticize me, perhaps you should use "you're" not "your" when speaking of my "arrogant" ness.

I ask questions dispassionately, without a personal part. I often support the OP team. When I ask a "poke" question, it is to get more info, I don't imply anything, I just want to know more. You seem to be a fan boy annoyed at someone asking pertinent questions... questions that have in the past helped the project. Questions that if not asked, would make it delay if not addressed. Perhaps there is no issue to be addressed but, what is the harm in asking?

Can't someone put forth an honest question, without implication, without some ass taking it as an attack? You seem to have singled me out... perhaps you don't see the difference with bringing up a point, asking for clarification... and the difference between an attack.

Edit: Removed an alter attack.

Edit2: Yes I poke the small details, because I worked in the industry. The small details are where the devil lives. 80/20 rule. If you don't worry about the small things, you have a crap product. I sweat the details because they must be.

You clearly don't understand the need for someone to worry about the small stuff. If there wasn't someone doing that, all your products would be shit. You don't see the need for it, but any successful company does. It is the difference between a product that works, and one that goes the crap pile.

Edit3: mvickers03:

• Interests:Getting drunk, computers, and boobs!!
Never-mind. Time wasted.

Hope my post will not be burned by the flames I see coming from above :rolleyes: :)

I just want to ask Ed to really do his best to send the Pandora to me november 17th. I predicted that, I am usually right, and I want to keep it that way.

b_o_b said:
Based on some previous milestones I would say November 17th, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was deferred to January 2010.

For evidence, reference, guidance and inspiration click here

They are shipping samples of the case this week that would even be tested until november. Then if nothing is wrong order the rest of the cases which wont take long to make. Im sure it will take a while to ship them from China to the USA so they can build the machines. They you have the actual build process. I think almost MOST of us will not get a pandora until 2010 for sure.

It is all waiting on those cases right now. If they are okay Michael will be off to Dallas for a while to watch this first assembly run. I think he will update with photos and such on the blog in Nov.

craigix said:
It is all waiting on those cases right now. If they are okay Michael will be off to Dallas for a while to watch this first assembly run. I think he will update with photos and such on the blog in Nov.

Great news. Sorry that MWeston might have to take work off for the trip, but he (and you) know we are all grateful if he can.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back