Best Mega Drive / Genesis games

*STATUS UPDATE*

Okay, so I'm the happy owner of Sonic 2, & Sonic 3, I just need and Sonic & Knuckles to I have the complete collection
laugh.gif
(Sonic & Knuckles need few days to come to my house)

And I really need a cheap RGB cable for Mega Drive model 2, the image from RF cable is UGLY!

M.U.S.H.A. is far too expensive for me, I'll stick with openTyrian as my main SHMUP.

I tried a few games, here are my first impressions :

• Sonic 1 : a great platformer, but sometimes I feel like I missed 85% of the level I've just finished
    tongue.gif
  • Sonic 2 : great, better graphics than the first. A bigger panel of moves that make the gameplay funnier.
  • Sonic 3 : … WOAH!
    blink.gif
    more please!
  • Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 : I really would like to give my opinion, but I'm still waiting for the delivery.
  • Lion King : beautiful, great gameplay… back then, it was the time when disney licensed games were great! The animation of the sprites is really impressive. But sometimes a bit frustrating… I hate those blue bugs
    dry.gif
  • Columns : Pretty good looking, but tetris still owns my heart.
  • Streets of Rage : Good beat'em all.
  • Revenge of Shinobi : Really fun but hard! The timing to hit/dodge is a challenge.

Oh, forgot to say that I HATE the Mega Drive d-pad. Sega d-pad feels mushy and I'm not as accurate than with a Nintendo one. (but I've grown with nintendo joypad in my hands, I'm not really objective)

But the joypad is really comfortable, I just have to get used having 3 buttons in-line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toejam & Earl Panic on Funkatron is great!

Sonic the Hedgehog (or any sonic game on the system is good really, except maybe spinball...)

NBA Jam

Sure, I beat it as a kid. You have to press up and down on the white cylinders to make them oscillate.. that seems to stump a lot of people. I know I've had difficulty with it before, but always eventually figured it out.

Yeah, I know how to make them oscillate, it's just that it's *really* hard to make them oscillate enough.

Wait, up and down? I thought you had to jump. Thanks, you might've just helped me a ton!

On the CDROM Extension...

Snatcher Best Metal Gear Game

[snip]

Sonic CD Best Sonic Game

[snip]
I would love to get the Sega CD, but I don't seem to find it for cheap, it's always overpriced like on eBay (the 32x seems a waste of money given the few good games on it).

Just got Starflight, it's not really user friendly when you don't have the manual.

But I've found that website that helps a lot to get a good start in the game. (be careful there are some spoilers).

It's a bit rougher than Star Control, but I love the fact that there are no time constraint.
laugh.gif

Splatterhouse, Zero Wing, Herzog Zwei and Revenge of Shinobi definately, and nice reminder of Gynorg there, a great game.

Magical...

Hat's...

Flying...

Turbo...

Adventure!

Must have for any healthy megadrive

Magical_Flying_Hat_Turbo_Adventure-2.gif

and VALIS III

...I want my pandoradrive bad

ROAD RASH 2 - DISREGARD THE POLICE. BEAT PEOPLE ON MOTORCYCLES WITH CHAINS AND KICK THEM INTO ONCOMING CARS.

Jurassic Park, JP: Rampage Edition, JP: Lost World - All the Jurassic Park games are really good. Rampage Edition is like a sequel to the first and Lost World is an overhead coop game.

Castlevania Bloodlines/New Generation - Had a mash-up of elements from a lot of other Castlevania and molded them into one game. The settings such as the Leaning Tower of Pisa and a German munitions factory make for really cool and interesting levels.

Animaniacs - A platformer based around the idea of using the three Warner siblings' different abilities based on the situation.

Kid Chameleon - Similar to Super Mario Bros., but with more power-ups and levels.

Alien Storm - It's a sci-fi Golden Axe. This game doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves. I bought it at a thrift store knowing nothing about it and it became one of my favorite beatemups.

Shadow Dancer - It's the sequel to the original arcade Shinobi. You rescue hostages and throw ninja stars like in the first one, except now you have a vicious attack dog at your command. However I must warn you, I found the audio in this game to be rather bad.

Zoop - Another game that everyone should play. It's a puzzle game, but requires some really fast reflexes and quick thinking. Objects spawn on all four sides and advance to the center over time. To stop them, you must destroy them by hitting them with the same color. You switch colors by bumping into objects of another color. I highly suggest it even if you don't like puzzle games.

Ristar - A platformer that gives you full control over your character's arms. This allows you to swing, grab enemies, and scale walls. Also has one of the best soundtracks that I've heard on the Genesis.

Aladdin - Yet another platformer. It has excellent visuals that mimic the animation in the movie perfectly.

X-Men 2: Clone Wars - Sides scroller that lets you choose from Cyclops, Gambit, Beast, Psylocke, Wolverine, and even Magneto (after you unlock him). The game supports 2-player coop and has a huge amount of levels.

NBA Jam: Tournament Edition - My favorite sports game of all time. 2-on-2 basketball with the option to play at 4x speed with power-ups and opportunities to score bonus points.

Flicky - Arcade game where you need to collect the lost chicks in the level and bring them back to the exit while avoiding the cats.

The games you actually own the cartridge for.

Emulating anything else is illegal.

The games you actually own the cartridge for.

Emulating anything else is illegal.

That's why I'm asking for the best games : To buy them at flea markets or eBay or any other eBay-like website.

megadrive_1.jpg

(sorry about the bad image quality, took it with my phone)

Finally got my Sonic & Knuckles cartridge, now, all I have to do is waiting for my Pandora (and maybe buying a Retrode…).

(But I have to go fetch my Rystar cartridge because I wasn't at home when the postman came)

Haunting - might also have been known as Poltergeist.

Fairly original game. Basically, you are a ghost and you follow around this family, your goal being to scare the shit out of them. Scaring them drops ectoplasm which is your 'lifeblood'. Essentially, you feed off their fear.

Basically, you chase them from room to room interacting with objects in order to scare them until they run screaming from the house. Pretty disturbing at times considering the likely target audience, worth getting if only for the novelty factor.

Haunting%20-%20Starring%20Polterguy%20(2).gif

Haunting-Starring-Polterguy.gif

1.jpg

Recently me and a mate spend an evening trying to beat Revenge of Shinobi. Didn't succeed yet (level 5 of 8) but I have to confirm this game is really good!

Pier Solar gets a new reprint run.

It's a new (released end of 2010) RPG for the Mega Drive and it's one of the best on the system. Currently it's sold out and very overpriced on eBay. But the developers announced lately that they will do another reprint run soon.

This is a must have for everyone who owns a Mega Drive / Genesis.

Sega megadrive games there alot of good ones here they are

*sonic 1,2,3-pure classic platformer,

*sonic & knuckles-best sonic game on md

* sonic 3d-nice 3d game

*sonic spinball-best pinball game ever made

*revenge of shinobi-classic ninja action

*shinobi 3-one of the best game ever on md

*shadow dancer-another ninja game,which is awesome

*street fighter 2 championship edition-super classic fighting game

*super street fighter 2 new challengers-better than the original but has 4 new characters

*t2 arcade-top notch gun game

*vectorman 1,2-tongue in cheek action shooter

*alienstorm-nice shooter,must be played

*virtua racing-outstanding racing game with stunning graphics

*virtua fighter 2-nice fighter to have some fun

*comix zone-comic style action game with cool graphics

*mercs-shoot everything comes in your way

*zombies-incredible game with big guns,nice graphics and loads of levels

Another world-classic shooter with excellent levels and puzzle solving,there is aw2 need mega cd unit

Flashback-brilliant platformer/shooter with movie style cut scenes and top action but mega cd version is better

Yes you are right about snatcher and sonic cd being best game ever, some say snatcher is one of the best game ever made.

If you want to know more games let me know.

Kid Chameleon - Similar to Super Mario Bros., but with more power-ups and levels.
And a rock hard gameplay. Hundred Levels or so but not a single save or password option, nobody would make such games anymore today. ^^

*sonic spinball-best pinball game ever made
I never was good in this game, I love all Megadrive Sonic Games but Sonic Spinall was not in my ranking. But I really can recommend Psycho Pinball for Megadrive, very good Pinball Game. :)

I also like Mega Turrican, quality Work from Factor 5, pulls out alot of graphial magic from the Mega Drive.

Phantasy Star 4 already was mentioned but Phantasy Star 2 also is Very nice. I played both ( with guides and maps to be honest ) PHantasy Star 1 should be also played but of course on the Master System. I never played Phantasy Star 3 but they say this is no big loss.

I feel no need to say anything here other than agree with every game everyone has mentioned having played most of them =D

Back