Good Genesis Games...

triksR4rabits

The Dutchmaster
Okay,what with all the new genesis/mega drive emu talk, the gbax compo could yield some great emulation. Personally, i was an snes owner, so i dont know much about sega genesis games. So what would you guys recommend...

I've tried to dig up some of the best- Shining force (series), Contra: hard corps, GUNSTAR HEROES (now that game i DID play), PS 2 and 4, Caslevania bloodlines, Pirates Gold!, Rocket knight Adventures, Ristar, Populous, Shinobi 3, strider, Thunder force 3, Herzog Zwei, Gaiares, General Chaos, Toejam & Earl Pof, and Aladdin. I guess Ive answered my own question, but i have never played most of these (just wanted to throw them out). :p

All the Sonic's, Golden Axe, Shining Force, Aladdin, Vectorman, Rambo 3 (Hard!!!), Mean Bean Machine, and always personally liked Roadblasters as a way to pass the time. B)

herzog zwei - favorite game, ever.

also fun on genny.. castle o filusion (mickey mouse) - sonic 1+2, eswat, revenge of shinobi/shadow dancer/shinobi III, mystic defender, rambo III, thunderforce games, gaiares, musha (!!!!), dynamite headdy (by makers of gunstar heroes), ghouls n ghosts (forever!!), slap fite, crackdown, whiprush, space invaders 93 (or 4 or whatever), batman.. ok that is a lot of comma's.

I guess it depends also on the genre you're into. i had both megadrive (1st) and then later a snes. i personally enjoy platformers, of which there were plenty of great offerings on the megadrive; the snes however wasn't quite so strong in this dept. - yes, all of the mario games are excellent, as too the donkey kong country series..... but if i was to have to choose, i'd go for megadrive (for platformers) every time.

My fave (totally solid) megadrive platformers: Magic Turbo Flying Hat Adventures :) , Sonic 2, James Pond 2 Robocod, Micky Mouse Castle of Illusion, Micky and Donald's World of Illusion, Donald Duck in Quackshot, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Rolo to the Rescue....

of course there are many many more platformers on the megadrive... these are just my own personal faves.

Eternal Champions is by far the best beat um up IMO, however i doubt it will run on any of the emus.

Apart from that

Sonic 2+3
Mean Bean Machine
Columns
Super Hang On
Golden Axe 1
Streets Of Rage 2+3
Road Rash

should keep you going

Also some of the games that are on the SNES but have weird button layouts would be good to get, as the Mega Drive has a far more GP32 friendly controler.

oh i forgot super monaco GP!!! pre-F-Zero, this was THE racing game as far as I was concerned. Afterburner was fun too (though probably no better than the PCE vers)

i think i enjoyed thunderforce 2 (and 3) more than 4, it was getting a little stale at that point if you ask me.. it was missing something. maybe i need to go and give it a better try though. but for shooty goodness, if you can look past the silly name, MUSHA is where it's at (as stated above) - that game just flat-out ROCKS man..

if you liked magical hat, you've likely played psycho fox at this point right (on Master System)

Pete Sampras Tennis was (and is in my view) the best tennis game on any 16bit console. Also FIFA 95 is a worthy mention (although I have always been on the Konami side with footie games) since you can foul someone and then the ref chases you around the pitch - theres also a code to turn him into a dog too! :)

i ahve to agree with golden axe, the streets of rage games, Dr.Robotniks mean bean machine and contra hard corps is good too!!!

Edit: and ghouls 'n' ghosts too , i though the megadrive version was probably the best!

For me personally these were the games to have...

All the Sonics - Still in my opinion is the game to aim for as regards for pick and play but also entertaining (Sonic 2 is the best)

Alien 3 - A really good game. Kept me at it for hours. This is very underrated just like the movie is!

Toejam and Earl 1 - Better of the two by miles.

Sensible Soccer - The best football/Soccer game by miles for the megadrive.

Brian Lara Cricket 96 - If you're a fan of cricket than this a must have.

Tony La Russa Baseball - I find this the best baseball game for the megadrive because it is really fun rather than graphically amazing.

Desert Strike - Being in the army is fun!!!

ATP Tour Tennis - What a serve for a tennis game (15-0 all others)

Micro Machines - Mini machines but mighty fun.

NHLPA 93 - Super smooth Hockey game again like Tony La Russa, it is not brilliant in graphics but superb in gameplay.

Olympic Gold Barcelona 92 - Brake your fingers winning the 100m sprint. (tap tap tap tap tap... is that as fast as you can go)

All the Road Rash's - The primetive GTA as regards to violence but a real fun ride.

Rugby World Cup 95 - It's a superb try, what a game he's playing...Literally

Streets of Rage 1 & 2 - Fightings fun in Streets of Rage 1 & 2 but NOT 3. Don;t even touch 3. 13 years old boys cannot beat up 6 foot 4 men in ANY form, not even a game.

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles Hyperstone Heist - I said 13 year old kids can't beat up 6 foot 4 men, but mutated turtles from the sewers, well thats a whole other story!

Where in the World/Time is Carmen Sandiego - Wait a minute, i know he was in Brazil three days ago... or is it a she....oh wait there goes a robber sneaking across the screen.

Win n Liz - Catch the wabbits, every single one of the thousands and thousands of wabbits.

Beavis and Butthead - He He He this game is so old... He He He (But it's still fresh!)

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - Dance as Michael Jackson...Cool.
Beat up Baddies to Smooth Criminal...Cool
Save the kids!..umm.umm. Lets leave that for now

Prince of Persia - On the PS2 game aswell, shows you it was a classic!

NBA JAM - OH MY GOD HE'S ON FIRE!!!!

Quackshot - Oh Donald, you are a no Indiana Jones but you ridiculous trying it. Oh well at least the game is good!

Arnold Palmer Golf - If you're into golf than get this just to laugh at it. Reminds me of the simpson episode where Bart wan't Bonestorm and Marge buys him a golf game instead.

Back